Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Manuel Ortiz Braschi?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacey (last edited Feb 16, 2011 06:12AM) (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 4 comments I'm pretty new to being a librarian, so I wanted to check before I jump in to this one... While working through the New Century backlog, I ran across Manuel Ortiz Braschi: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

He seems to be listed as an author on a ton of books, an editor on a ton of books, but as nearly I can tell, this is, like New Century, a publisher who should be listed as such and removed as an author/editor. I'm basing this on partly the sheer volume of publications, but also this note I found in the text of several of his books:

"Dear Readers:

We are dedicated to providing our customers with cutting edge information with the latest and most popular ebooks & hot topics at very affordable prices. Our mission is to create positive change in your life. We carry hundreds of unique titles including "Literary Classics" under many categories for your convenience. Please click on the name "Manuel Ortiz Braschi" at the top of the page, next to the title, or write "Manuel Ortiz Braschi" at the search box and you will be taken to our main page in Amazon, where you will be able to check all the interesting, unique and informative titles that we carry at Amazon Kindle."

I also noticed that a lot of these books have ratings, comments, and all sorts of other random stuff crammed into the title., e.g. "The Art Of War: The Oldest Military Treatise In The World! A Classic By Sun Tzu! AAA+++"

I'm thinking that this person should perhaps be added to the Sisyphus list, and titles and author/editor fixed where possible. Looks like the actual publisher should be Unique Enterprises.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43624 comments Mod
Nope.

This is one of (all too many) "authors" who publish and sell books on demand that are essentially compilations of publicly available information, etc.

Sadly, there's not much we can do about them.

message 3: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 4 comments Got it. Thanks for letting me know. Feel free to close this, then!

message 4: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments I have viewed that text "Dear Readers blah blah" as advertising, since it is not a description of the book, and delete it. Ditto the blurbs A++++, a classic, etc.

These are not descriptions of the book, just hype. I take it out.

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments MissJessie, I agree.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Said text does not appear on the actual "cover"?

If not, I agree.

message 7: by Cait (last edited Feb 18, 2011 09:39AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments rivka wrote: "Said text does not appear on the actual "cover"?

If not, I agree."

Here's an example:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/95...

I would remove the second paragraph of the description and change the title to "Resurrection".

(For posterity, the text in question:

Resurrection: A Powerful Classic Novel By Leo Tolstoy! AAA+++

[cover: the title word "Resurrection" and the author "Leo Tolstoy", with a decorative flourish]

by Leo Tolstoy, Manuel Ortiz Braschi (Editor), Louise Maude (Translator)

It is a sombre but tremendously powerful novel touching upon many tragedies and problems of life in the Russia of to-day. It shows the genius of "Anna Karenina" blended with a more mature comprehension of human life and character. The "Great Master of the North" has written in "Resurrection" a harrowing yet absorbing story with all his old fervor, and with a deeper and more searching spiritual understanding. The theme is that of a woman's life weighed down and well nigh extinguished by the most terrible misfortunes and tragedies, but finally, through the power of love, resurrected and made new. (Translated by Mrs. Louise Maude.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Readers:

We are dedicated to providing our customers with cutting edge information with the latest and most popular ebooks & hot topics at very affordable prices. Our mission is to create positive change in your life. We carry hundreds of unique titles including "Literary Classics" under many categories for your convenience. Please click on the name "Manuel Ortiz Braschi" at the top of the page, next to the title, or write "Manuel Ortiz Braschi" at the search box and you will be taken to our main page in Amazon, where you will be able to check all the interesting, unique and informative titles that we carry at Amazon Kindle.
)

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Have at it!