English Mysteries Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Pre-August 2012 Revival > Introduce yourself here!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Looks like the number of members is creeping up which is wonderful to see! I thought I'd start a thread where new members can introduce themselves. I've introduced myself in the other post in this folder so please review it to find all about your moderator. Better yet - tell us something about yourself and what you'd like to see happen during your involvement with our wee group! Hope to 'meet' you all on here soon! Cheers! ~S~

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Welcome, Jules. I'm sure you'll enjoy this group. In what era are your stories set?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Jules and Anna - Welcome to the group - Thank you Sherry for extending a welcome as well! So glad to see you both on here!

We're just at the end of our first Book of the Month (BotM) read which has been Dorothy Sayer's book 'Whose Body?' Please jump in and get involved on the next BotM in March. We're happy to have as many people has possible involved in the BotM reading.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to message me directly or friend me etc. I'm here to help! WELCOME AGAIN!

message 4: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (tehmiminator) | 2 comments Hello, I am new here. I just joined Goodreads yesterday and I am already diving right in and loving it. My name is Mimi, I am 24 with an amazing seven year old son.

I really enjoy reading all types of books but I think I tend to lean more towards murder mystery slash gothic-horror type novels more than others. I am American but I adore English-type novels- which is why I joined. :)

Looking forward to discussing the BotM with you guys, hopefully I can get to the library soon. Ta!~

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Mimi - Welcome to Goodreads and to the English Mysteries Club! Check back in a day or two and we should have finalized the March BotM by then. I was a little late this time round but I'm kind of new to the Moderator gig! I'll get the hang of it eventually! As with my previous reply - if you have any questions, request, etc just direct message me/friend me/both or either! I'm happy to help! Welcome again!

message 6: by Eswope (new)

Eswope | 4 comments Hello! My name is Elizabeth. I am an avid reader, mother, knitter, and student so I don't finish books as quickly as I would like. I cant wait for the next BotM and look forward to this group. I am a Christie fan,a Ellis Peters fan and a G.K. Chesterton fan. Open to discovering new books!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Elizabeth - Welcome to the group! Thanx for joining and I hope you get a lot out of the group! :-)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I just noticed that the group has now topped 100 members! Thank you everyone for your ongoing participation and to all our new members for helping us reach this milestone! Cheers, all!
~S~

message 9: by Denae (last edited Mar 03, 2011 07:53PM) (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Hi there, I'm Denae. My taste in books is pretty random and I tend to be working on a few at any given time. We had a number of Agatha Christie books in the house when I was younger and between that and the library, it's hard to find one I haven't read. My mother also introduced me to the Nero Wolfe books, which while not British IMO fit the style, and Dorothy Sayers. This is a style I've not read in several years, so I'm excited. This book club thing is new to me; my only other experience started a month ago, also here on Goodreads.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys!

*edited for grammatical error

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna | 5 comments Hi I'm Donna and I've been a life long mystery fan starting with Nancy Drew. Moved on to Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers then PD James, Martha Grimes, Dick Francis, Elizabeth George.......

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to both Denae and Donna! Glad to have you along! It's funny, Donna - I remember reading and loving Nancy Drew mystery books when I was a kid and I think my parents still have them actually. So I suppose my love of mystery books started in childhood as well! Excellent stuff!

Also - glad to see someone mention the Nero Wolfe books as not strictly British but 'fitting the style' of English mysteries. I'm hoping to introduce one or two titles/authos for future BotM reads that aren't English but that I definitely think fit the style. It's a good point to remember that it doesn't have to be strictly British/English to be of the genre! Thanx for that, Denae!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

110 members! Yay - feel free to introduce yourself here if you've just joined or if you've been here from the early days! It's great reading people's story and finding out what brought them to the group!

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie | 3 comments Hey there all :) My name is julie and my fiance was the one who turned me onto Agatha Christie and other mystery writers. I was just wondering what April's book is going to be, so I can get a head start. I cant wait to read with everyone!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Julie & Julia - welcome! I'm just getting read to post a suggestion for the next BotM so check that out to see if you want to join in the group reading! Hope you will!

message 15: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Draper (clarissa_draper) Hi, my name is Clarissa and I love mysteries! Look forward to reading and commenting.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Clarissa! If you want - hop on board our Book of the Month read. It's a great way to get started!

message 17: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Draper (clarissa_draper) I own that book and so I'm going to join in! Thanks!

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi Hello to all! I'm new to the group having just found you. And while I read a wide variety of fiction, a large portion of my reading is English and most of the English writing that I take in is mysteries. I'm reading a fantastic book that I've recently found that is part of a series, The Last Kashmiri Rose (Joe Sandilands, #1) by Barbara Cleverly . Definitely English style and really good read! It is set in India in the early 1920's and the main character is an Englishman who is visiting working with Scotland Yard. This author is new to me but I see that she has a series with this detective as well as a series about a lady crime solver. I've struck gold, I think.

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina (christinalc) | 20 comments Greetings! My name is Christina. I'm an avid fan of English mysteries, so I think this will be a great group for me. I enjoy lots of different types of mysteries, from cozies to London detectives. I love the classics (Christie, Sayers, Allingham, Heyer, Marsh), but I also enjoy Colin Dexter, P D James, and Hazel Holt. I have 'The Moonstone' on my TBR shelf, but I will probably wait to jump into the group's May selection. It's great to connect with other fans of this fabulous genre!

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina (christinalc) | 20 comments Lori wrote: "Hello to all! I'm new to the group having just found you. And while I read a wide variety of fiction, a large portion of my reading is English and most of the English writing that I take in is myst..."

Lori--I haven't read this Barbara Cleverly book, but I've read some of her others from this series, and I really enjoyed them. I think she does a great job of capturing the details of life in that time period (right after WWI in the books I read). I also loved the main character (Joe Sandilands). Have you read the Maisie Dobbs books by Jacqueline Winspear? Cleverly's books sort of remind me of Winspear's, probably because of the impact of WWI on the characters and because both authors do a great job of evoking the spirit of the time and place. I'm going to add 'Last Kashmiri Rose' to my TBR shelf.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to Lori and Christina! Great to have you here! ANd thank you to Lori for providing another great author to chase up! Might have to add one of Cleverly's book to the Book of the Month list I'm creating out of all the great suggestions we've had so far!

Any other new members to the group out there who would like to say hello???

message 22: by Jdaniels (new)

Jdaniels | 5 comments Hello everyone!

I actually joined about a week and a half ago, and only now realized I never introduced myself! (oops!)

Not only am I new to this group, I'm new to book clubs in general. I've never been in a book club before, and I'm really looking forward to the experience.

I must be honest, I love the mystery genre, but have a hard time finding books to read from that genre - I'm hoping to discover new authors and books through this group. I've already read The Moonstone (loved it!) for the month, and am looking forward to participating in the discussions about it!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Jdaniels! If it helps to set you at your ease here - I've never been in a book club either and I started this group and am the moderator! :-) I try to look like I know what I'm doing on occasion but most of the time I'm just winging it and taking my cues from the other members of the group. And that's the great thing about the group...everyone just jumps in and participates and has a good time with it. Watch this space, I'll be putting up the list of BotM for the rest of 2011 here shortly and hopefully that will give you loads of new authors and books to track down.

This bit goes for everyone but I'll repeat it again for new members that have introduced themselves recently - if you ever have any questions or concerns please feel free to direct message me on here. Also - I'm always happy to link up as friends on here if you want to sent me the request. The more friends, the merrier! :-)

message 24: by Lindig (new)

Lindig Newly joined. I've been reading British mysteries for the past, oh, 40 years. I prefer Sayers to Christie. Love the dry wit of Sarah Caudwell (RIP). And I have a sneaking fondness for ecclesiastical mysteries (don't know why).

There's an author I used to collect (believe it or not) whose name I've forgotten, so I'm going to the Help with an Author thread to ask about her.

I hope to discover many new authors to enjoy.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Lindig! Welcome to the group. I'll be posting a list later today of the Book of the Month reads for the rest of the year...hopefully you'll join in the fun! :-)

message 26: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Welcome, Lindig!

message 27: by Beverle (new)

Beverle Myers I'm new to the group--delighted to find others discussing my favorite types of mysteries. My latest faves are Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce books. I started with Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and found Flavia's voice very fresh and compelling. The plot was a bit light, but The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag is better in that regard. I also love Sarah Caudwell--not sure of the spelliing--Hilary Tamer is her sleuth. I hope to get recommendations on similar mysteries from others in the group.

message 28: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Welcome, Beverle!

message 29: by Adrian (last edited May 04, 2011 05:47AM) (new)

Adrian Dawson | 3 comments Hello to all,

I'm Adrian, and I write very much in the British style beloved of this group; well I am English, but my novels tend to be set in the states.

The heavy on plot is definitely me!!!

Looking forward to some interesting discussions.

Best,

Adrian

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Adrian and Beverle - Great to see you on here and looking forward to hearing from you in our Book of the Month section! If you ever need anything - feel free to send me a direct message!

message 31: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Dawson | 3 comments Hello Sarah Elektra

Thank you for the welcome. I'm sure you will hear from me in the book of the month section...but I only read when I'm not writing as I don't want to be unduly influenced...so no reading for me at the moment as I'm mid plot development for my next novel.

Best,

Adrian

message 32: by Clare (new)

Clare Havens (clare_havens) | 9 comments Hi! I'm new to Goodreads. I LOVE English style mysteries - favorite authors include Margery Allingham and DL Sayers. I have just published my first mystery aimed at tween readers - it is more 'noir' than 'English' - noir is my other love! I recently listened to an audio book of 'The Leavenworth Case' by Anna Katherine Green which I thought was very clever and, despite being written many, many years ago, still stands up as an excellent mystery!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Clare - Sorry for the delay in welcoming you...I've been trying to catch up on this month's Book of the Month and have been a bit absent. I hope you'll have a look at our BotM list for the rest of 2011 and will come along for the ride. There's a fairly good mix of old and new so hopefully there will be something wonderful there for you!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow - we've now got 144 members! I hope some of the new members will feel free to introduce themselves here and I hope you'll jump on board with the Book of the Month club readings! I look forward to 'meeting' you all soon!

message 35: by Adrian (last edited Jun 07, 2011 06:49PM) (new)

Adrian Dawson | 3 comments oh - I do like the idea of a "group meeting" online - all 144 of us!!! Crikey we'd be hard pushed to get a word in edgeways...but it could be great fun!

What about a date - and a time that's not too late/early for most people (not sure it lists country of residence here though - so not sure how that would work!!) and see if we can't have a "groupathon"

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 8 comments Hi! I just found this group and knew I had to join. I love almost all mysteries but especially the traditional English. Christie, Sayers, Rinehart and Allingham are some of my favorites. I just finished reading my first Wilkie Collins book and really enjoyed it as well. I'm looking forward to the discussions and finding new authors to read in this genre.

message 37: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Welcome!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Jackie - great to have you here! Welcome! :-)

Adrian - some sort of online meet-up is an excellent idea. But I'm not sure about the logistics if we're all over the world? I'll have to give that one some thought. Drop me a message if you have ideas on how that might work, ok?

message 39: by R.P. (new)

R.P. Dahlke (rpdahlke) Hello, I'm new to this group, too. I'm a mystery writer who loves British mysteries and fiction british and American historicals ... I don't right them but I love to read them I have some recommendations of new British crime authors that i've read so I'll be posting.
Here's me: A DEAD RED HEART and A DEAD RED CADILLAC

message 40: by J (new)

J (skewed) Hi - I'm "skewed" - I actually prefer 'English' mysteries. I'm current on E George, PD James, R Rendell, Martin Edwards (Lake District series). I found Frances Fyfield several years ago but it is really hard to find books that have no or limited release in the US. I've recently started working my way through Peter Robinson and Christopher Fowler. I've also been through Ian Rankin even though he's Scotish. I'm really looking forward to discussing, re-reading and learning about other authors. Sounds like fun!!

message 41: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (dancing-dog) | 1 comments Hi all! I love British mysteries and have been reading them for years. I especially love the old school authors - Sayers, Christie, Wentworth, Aird, Allingham, Moyes. Of the "newer" authors Ruth Rendell and PD James come to mind as favorites but I will pretty much read any British mystery of any type - cozy, police procedural, etc. I'm sure I will find some interesting discussions here! :=)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Margaret -
Glad to have you in the group. Hope you'll follow along in our Book of the Month club as I'm trying to get some discussion and group participation on that side of things. Welcome!

message 43: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Tracey wrote: "Hi, all - I stalked Denae here. :) I've read Lord Peter once every couple of years since I was about 16, and I love Allingham and Moyes and Marsh (while she was Kiwi, Rory Alleyn was British) and ..."

Hooray! My favorite stalker!

message 44: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) Hi Guys. I've just joined your group. I notice there isn't anything posted about the Sept reading material. I'm really looking forward to participating with everybody. I read a combination of classical (Victorian age) literature and mysteries. My favorite mysteries are British because I think they are very well-written. Love the old school stuff.

message 45: by Tom (new)

Tom | 53 comments Hello, I am an avid English mystery fan. Occasionally, I read outside the genre, but my real interest is in the amateur British. I started by reading the Bobbsey Twins as a small child and that evolved into Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. Then I discovered Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and I was hooked. I look forward to exchanging ideas with others in the group.
Tom

message 46: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) Tom - My reading started similarly to yours - Nancy Drew, then the Hardy Boys, then the Bobbsey Twins, and then Agatha. I even started with the same title in Christie.

message 47: by Tom (new)

Tom | 53 comments I think we were lucky to have found Roger Ackroyd.

message 48: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) I think so too.

message 49: by J. J. (new)

J. J. Arias | 24 comments Welcome Deborah. I Believe this month's book is An Unsuitable job for a women, by P.D.James. I'm enjoying it so far.

message 50: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) Thanks. I'll have to go get a copy. I thought that was Aug's book so I was a bit confused.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.