Horror Aficionados discussion

Borders

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken (reedr) | 36 comments Darn, I used to spend hours in Borders. I wonder if they'll keep up the Kobo site...

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I've never been to a Borders. Not sure there's even one here.

message 4: by Teawench (new)

Teawench | 331 comments @BoodyHorror - from what I've read I don't think Borders 'owns' the Kobo, they just back it, so I would imagine the site would remain relatively unchanged.

I've never really been a fan of Borders. The first one I went into put off an aura of being dirty & skanky. Never really got over that first impression. But it's still sad to see that they weren't able or unwilling to keep up with market demands. I don't like to see any bookstore in trouble.

message 5: by Teawench (new)

Teawench | 331 comments And more info about Kobo: http://www.mediabistro.com/ebooknewse...

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments I liked Borders because they were always very receptive to giving new, small press authors a break and arranging book signings. Barnes and Nobles wouldn't even talk to me unless my name was King or Keene (and don't get me started on their attempts to build an e-book empire at the expense of small press authors). I'm bummed.

message 7: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart | 140 comments Wow, I find this really sad, because I too spend a lot of time at Borders. It's closer than Barnes and Noble, although I don't really like to choose between them.
Definitely whomps!

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments Here's the list of Borders closings: http://a2docs.org/assets/files/2011/0...

message 9: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments yey, Philly survived the cuts

message 10: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Our local Borders may as well be closed since every time I visit it is empty. One night my friends and I decided to visit their cafe at 8:30 on a Monday night (B&N was too busy) and they kicked us out because they were closing at 9:00. AFTER we ordered our coffee and were settling into our seats We had to take our drinks out in the cold. Pissed me off so much I refused to go back. And why should I when we have a busy B&N and two great (friendly) UBS less than a mile on the same street.

I feel bad for the folks losing their jobs though.

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) There was a very, nice Borders in Mission Viejo that I used to frequent when I lived in the area. One of those with a cafe, so you could get some coffee & a snack while browsing. Loved their 'discount' shelves where you could get books for as little $.99.

Sad that Borders and the other chainstores drove many small booksellers out of business. With their closing that will leave some cities & towns with no bookstores at all.

message 12: by Patrik (new)

Patrik | 10 comments well perhaps we will have local bookstores opening up again... perhaps a dream.

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Looks like we have thirteen in CO......gonna close six of 'em!

message 14: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 65 comments Ours is closing. It's a bit hard for me to care, I've had a grudge against Borders ever since they forced out our local bookstore in Louisville. I suppose it is sad that bookstores in general are less popular than ever. I only really buy from Half Price Books (which is ALWAYS busy when I go, thankfully) or the internet. Places like Borders and Barnes and Noble are waaaay too expensive and have hardly any horror books I want.

message 15: by Gary (new)

Gary (glmoore) | 87 comments You know, I don't think I get the whole coffee shop / bookstore thing. Why is it that they allow the in store reading? They want it to be a place where people gather? They want to sell expensive coffee?
One of my beefs with all of them is that if I start looking for a particular book and there is only one copy, many times it has already been read. This does not stop them from charging me full price for the book though if I have to have it.
The subject seems petty now that I write it down, but it pisses me off anyway.

message 16: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I worked for Borders for close to 3 years and hated the last 2 years of it. They are a horrible company to work for. They treat their employees like crap and really don't know how to run a company. I don't understand how a STORE could allow people to read entire books. They let people read books, magazines and everything else while sitting in the cafe spilling drinks and crumbs all in them and then wonder why no one wants to buy the shit.

They also had a rule no return without a receipt yet they'd allow it all the time. No wonder they lost money. When they went public it all went down hill and when they got free wi fi and allowed anyone to use it even if they weren't a paying customer. Taking up the small amount of tables we did have for paying customer. I liked shopping there but you couldn't pay me copious amounts of money to work there again.

message 17: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 32 comments Gary wrote: "You know, I don't think I get the whole coffee shop / bookstore thing. Why is it that they allow the in store reading? They want it to be a place where people gather? They want to sell expensive co..."

That drives me crazy, too. If I start a book to see if I like it I generally buy it and if I don't it's in the exact same condition when I've finished looking through it as when I picked it up. I was there one day and they were re-doing some shelves and the employees threw, yes threw all of the books off of the shelf before re-doing the shelf with different books. It was painful to watch the corners come up and bottoms get messed up. It also made me mad as some of us actually want a new book in pristine condition, which is why we're in a bookstore rather than a thrift shop, etc.

message 18: by Steve (new)

Steve At some point, over the last few years, Borders stopped being the store I liked so much. For example, for quite some time they had an excellent poetry area (something that interests me). I talked with a clerk there (long gone now) who was very knowledgeable, and he said that the person at Borders headquarters in charge of poetry, was herself a poet, and knew the area well. For such a specialized (and low selling) area, I was impressed with Borders commitment. But I had mixed feelings on that. A local bookstore, "Chapters" in DC, was slowly dying due to Borders. This bookstore was a real treasure, with frequent readings by respected writers, great selection (including poetry), etc. Slowly but surely I watched that go away. Chapters took part in a class action suit against Borders, but it failed. Chapters is now gone. Ironically, over the last few years, I saw the same thing happening at Borders. Sparser shelves due to not restocking, crappy service, and a dingier atmosphere. The Borders I used to visit, would often have lunch time concerts (Buddy Miller, Emmylou Harris, lesser know artists trying to make a splash), but that also ended a couple of years ago. One thing I still liked about Borders was that they still had a fair range of books on display, so I was able (without the NY Times Book Review) to tell what was out. Now, it seems I'll be reduced to online sources for this info, especially so since the Washington Post has ceased running it's own Book Review supplement in the Sunday paper (assholes). With the loss of Borders, and demise of newspaper book sections, sites like Goodreads may become the new way for authors to get the word out on their books.

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments BarkLessWagMore wrote: "Our local Borders may as well be closed since every time I visit it is empty. One night my friends and I decided to visit their cafe at 8:30 on a Monday night (B&N was too busy) and they kicked us..."

Wonderful customer service! No wonder they're going out of business.

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Zombette wrote: "I worked for Borders for close to 3 years and hated the last 2 years of it. They are a horrible company to work for. They treat their employees like crap and really don't know how to run a compan..."

I don't understand the concept of allowing books and magazines to be read and damaged and put back on the shelf either. If I'm paying full price for a book or magazine, it had better be brand-spanking new with no folded corners or bent spines.

message 21: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) I always try to be careful with books,whether they my own, the library's or in a bookstore. Working in a library we are always getting back books that are stained, ripped or smelling of cigarette smoke. What other patron will want to read something like that?

On the rare occasions I read in a bookstore cafe I stick to magazines or books I am already planning to purchase.

message 22: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments That always pissed me off. I refuse to pay full price for a pre-read book. At least discount the things. They allow the same thing at B&N too. That's why I end up buying most books online or at a UBS that discounts them.

message 23: by Teawench (new)

Teawench | 331 comments Speaking of books that are in less than pristine condition... When there is a book I must have & it's been beaten up I've taken it to the cash register, pointed out what was wrong with it & asked for a discount. Sometimes I get one, sometimes not. And sometimes the discount isn't where I think it should be. So I've asked them to order me a new copy of the book. That way no one else can grub it up. If I want a second hand book, I'll go to a used bookstore.

I also don't understand the people that go into these bookstores, read the books, get them all grubby and then put them back on the shelf.

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments All this reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George took that big, expensive art book into the bookstore bathroom to do his business, and then tried to put it back on the shelf. At least that bookstore stopped him and made him by it. He tried to get Elaine to buy it at the coffee shop but she refused when she learned it had cooties.

message 25: by Moon (new)

Moon The Borders that is nearest my home will still be open. But I don't mind going to the closer indie shops, so it wouldn't have really made that much of a difference since they can order pretty much any kind of book I could want.

message 26: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Tressa, people did that stuff in my store all the time. Except they didn't have to pay for it and no one was going to buy it anyway.

The erotica section I refused to even go near. Men used to take those books and magazines in the bathroom and jerk off with them. Married men would be the ones opening and buying the gay magazine Freshman. I just don't understand humans and the way they act in public.

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Zombette wrote: "Tressa, people did that stuff in my store all the time. Except they didn't have to pay for it and no one was going to buy it anyway.

The erotica section I refused to even go near. Men used to take those books and magazines in the bathroom and jerk off with them. Married men would be the ones opening and buying the gay magazine Freshman. I just don't understand humans and the way they act in public."

You've got to be kidding! I can't stand touching Zane's Purple Panties book for the same reason.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments Ewwwwwww....I only sit in those coffee shops after I've purchased the book.

message 29: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 32 comments Teawench wrote: "Speaking of books that are in less than pristine condition... When there is a book I must have & it's been beaten up I've taken it to the cash register, pointed out what was wrong with it & asked f..."

They probably aren't book lovers or book readers, they are bored, have a place to hang out late, and are literally just flipping through pages IMO.

message 30: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 32 comments Tressa wrote: "Zombette wrote: "Tressa, people did that stuff in my store all the time. Except they didn't have to pay for it and no one was going to buy it anyway.

The erotica section I refused to even go near..."

Nasty! I'd probably say something to them to embarrass them if I saw that.

message 31: by Scott (new)

Scott The last time I looked in the photography section of one of these stores there was one book that was particularly beat up and worn. That book? The Big Book of Breasts.

message 32: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments I don't know, I like the Borders I have by me. Sadly, two of them are closing. One of which I don't understand, as it is the only book store in the town, and always busy.

As for their prices, they have great prices if you are in their rewards program. Every week there is a 33% off any otem in the store coupon, and maybe once a month there is a 40% off coupon. Hard to argue with those prices.

Our customer service has always been outstanding. Although, I have heard from numerous ex-employees that the management had no idea how to run a company, and it was constantly a case of the big folk always butting heads. It seems that is probably what has killed them.

I have also heard that Borders was nowhere near as vicious as B&N at driving out the mom & pop companies.

message 33: by Scott (new)

Scott The horror section in my local Borders has actually been a lot more interesting recently. They seem to be stocking more smaller press books (Night Shade, Prime, Angry Robot) than they used to. It's not just King, Koontz and Laurell Hamilton any more.

I saw the list of closing stores and I don't think it is one of them.

message 34: by Teawench (new)

Teawench | 331 comments From what I've read, it's not B&N that decides which books are lendable, it's the publishers.

The card thing is a pain in the ass, I know (forgot to change cards when the new one came in, tried to buy a couple of books...you don't even want to know what I went through) but again, I think that's a publisher thing. Though don't hold me to that. I do (maybe) know that it's a security thing, though.

How's that for not saying much? ;-P

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Tressa wrote: "Zombette wrote: "I worked for Borders for close to 3 years and hated the last 2 years of it. They are a horrible company to work for. They treat their employees like crap and really don't know ho..."

Indeed!