Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > Heard the news about Borders?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Seen the headlines? "Borders files for bankruptcy, to close stores" http://www.chicagotribune.com/busines...

Think Borders is going to survive? To be honest, I've got a bad feeling about this. At the least, I think my local store is going to be one of the closers. How about yours?

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 97 comments I've been hearing rumblings about this, and it will make me very sad. I have a writing group that meets twice a month at Borders, every week during November (it's for NaNo), and I use the opportunity to do some serious book browsing.

Just up the street is the local mall, and there's a Barnes & Noble in there. I'm not sure how much business they steal away, but I hope my store will remain open. I much prefer Borders, and if nothing else, it's a lot easier to get into, rather than fighting mall traffic.

message 3: by N.L. (new)

N.L. Riviezzo (nlriviezzo) I'm saddened as Borders is the only new bookstore close to where I live but I just read that the two I primarily go to are not part of the 6 slated to close in Colorado. Hopefully, it remains so.

message 4: by Sal (new)

Sal (ralsbecket) Borders is closing a lot of stores, I should know, I work for one that is closing soon in NY. But they will remain open, so fear not.

message 5: by N.L. (new)

N.L. Riviezzo (nlriviezzo) Sorry to hear about your job, Sal. Is Borders giving employees an option to move to another store if said other store is needing employees? Or are you S.O.L.?

message 6: by Sal (new)

Sal (ralsbecket) Basically SOL. There is a hiring freeze for all stores remaining open. =/ It sucks because I really did enjoy working for the company. I have no hard feelings about losing my job and hope them luck in the future.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 97 comments Sal, I'm sorry to hear that your store is closing. I wish you luck in finding a new job.

Wishing and hoping didn't work here. The store I go to is closing, as is the next closest one (about 50 miles away). Guess Amazon will be getting a lot more of my business. :/

chucklesthescot Borders was a great shop but they closed over here in the UK a year or two ago. Now Waterstones is going the same way which will be a problem for anyone who can't or won't buy online. If you don't own a credit card, nobody wants your custom these days.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

I was right, unfortunately. My local store is one of the ones being closed. :-( This really is bad on so many levels. Loss of jobs, loss of business for the town, loss of the bookstore itself. Well, every cloud does have a silver lining, even if it is slightly tarnished. No more town bookstore is likely to increase use of the public library where I work.

message 10: by N.L. (new)

N.L. Riviezzo (nlriviezzo) Joseph, your library will certainly see more patrons. The nearest bookstore near me is at least 25 miles away. The largest library is 5 miles. The library gets the most patrons compared to the 10 others in their primary network so much so that a new building had to be built a year ago. It is 20 times the size of the previous building.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) Sal, I'm sorry for you and all the others that will be losing jobs.

I really hope Borders keeps going. I prefer them to Barnes and Noble. For right now, the one nearest to me is staying open.

message 12: by Sal (new)

Sal (ralsbecket) Thank you for the well wishes. I and everyone else I worked with are well into job searching right now. I guess B&N will dominate book selling in the non-computer world right now.

message 13: by Joseph (new)

Man, it looks like my store isn't wasting any time. They're Going Out of Business sale starts today. A sale that I'm sure to go to, but a lousy reason to have to have it though. :-(

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 97 comments Joseph, I got an e-mail about the sale starting at my Borders today, as well. I'll go, but part of me does feel like a vulture. :(

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 411 comments I lucked out and my Borders is staying open. Although, there are others not far from me that are closing. So, sad. I have done my part this last couple of weeks to help keep my Borders open.

message 16: by Sal (new)

Sal (ralsbecket) Tiffany, which Borders is that?

message 17: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (liisbooks) I don't think that the Borders in my area will close unless Borders officially goes under entirely. I really hope this doesn't happen. I love hanging out in Borders just to browse and usually to buy something. I'm not a Barnes and Noble fan. I don't live close by to one and they don't offer good discounts on their books like Borders does with all their coupons.

message 18: by Johanness (last edited Mar 02, 2011 02:50AM) (new)

Johanness (cookiesandcute) | 23 comments My friend told me and I didn't believe her then I asked my dad and he said yes, yes its all true, Angus&Robertson and BordersAus, I'm like.... stroke

I don't know any local book stores besides those!!!!!!! I've never been to other bookstores besides them, what-do-i-do!??? O-o oh gosh -died-

message 19: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 411 comments Sal wrote: "Tiffany, which Borders is that?"
The one in Provo, Utah is staying open. The two of that I know that are closing are in Logan, which is only two hours away, and one in South Salt Lake, which is only about one hour away.

message 20: by Wolfjack (new)

Wolfjack | 4 comments >17 I agree Lindy, I never like B&N much, and I loved the Borders' coupons and staff members.

It's truly unfortunate that both of Columbus OH's Borders are closing. I loved them. Online ordering just isn't the same.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

The Colorado Springs Borders is NOT closing! Hooray! its my favorite place to buy books.

message 22: by Joseph (last edited Mar 03, 2011 04:08PM) (new)

I'm sorry Borders is hurting, but when I saw a bunch of books I had preordered months again from Borders.com had been put on backorder, I just couldn't take it. I don't want to wait anymore for my books so I called them to cancel my orders and reordered them from Amazon.

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen | 2 comments Just read that two Angus and Robertson (a division of Borders) Perth stores are closing, meaning 28 job losses here :(

Heather (DeathByBook) (deathbybook) | 1 comments Publishers Weekly has a map that shows all of the Borders store that will be closing and those that will stay open in North America. http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/ma...

I too am very sad to see so many of the stores closing. I worked for them for many years as a trainer when they were going through thier biggest expansion in the 90's. At the time it was an amazing place to work & probably the coolest job I've ever had. I hope they make it.

What I would like to know, as an avowed book junkie, is has anyone been to a closing store sale yet?? Is there anything good? Is it worth a trek to get to one?

message 25: by Joseph (new)

Heather wrote: "Publishers Weekly has a map that shows all of the Borders store that will be closing and those that will stay open in North America. http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/ma...

I too am ve..."

I went to the Closing sale the first week, but the best deals they had was 20% off books, not a real good deal when I could still do better from Amazon. But I just got an e-mail the other day that starting today they sale moves up to 25-50% today, so I think I'll check things out again.

message 26: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 97 comments I haven't gone in for the sale yet, but I also heard about the new prices. I've a feeling much of my store has been picked over, but I may go in tomorrow or Sunday and see if I can find something. I like a lot of things that aren't quite as trendy, so I might luck out.

message 27: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie | 45 comments When I learned of this news, I was incredibly sad. Borders is my FAVORITE store. I can spend hours in there. Three in my area closed, two of which I actually have a lot of memories from (as silly as it sounds).

But I AM grateful that the one that is close to where I work is one of the lucky ones that survived. It's one of my favorite ones to go to (and it's right next to another store I love, Petsmart!), so I am really glad it's still there.

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (akinderman) I was sad to hear this too, I love Borders and I have their rewards, which I've used before. I'll admit, there is a B&N 2 miles away and I go there as well but the fact that bookstores are falling is disheartening to me.

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (sparklyblueyes) Drove by my local Borders store it's closing it doors in 8 days.... I went in to see what they have left, the store itself was a very sad state so empty the life it used to have is gone, they even were playing sad depressing music to really set the mood. I had bought 5 books for 25$ and two of them were new Releases Hard covers which alone range from 18-24$ each... I was checking out talking to the cashier... a kind old man he was, he told me he has worked there for 8 years, and someone had asked him what is he going to do after the doors finally close, he chuckled "i'm gonna join a support group" he says it made me smile, as I took one last long look at store I quite frequently enjoyed visiting with it's bare shelves and it's sad pathetic look as it along with other bookstores all over the world are shutting their doors closing that warm comforting feeling people get coming to them. These Electronic readers are great for many things, but they are now costing many people their jobs and a great quite place to go searching for a book, a nice coffee at their cafe's or a quit place to read to get away from reality, and even more the friendly people that work there that if you go freequently you get to know and become at least good aquaintenances with. It's very sad I think, just very sad :(

message 30: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 36 comments I met my husband at the Borders in Bloomingon Indiana, so we had to go one last time during their sale to say goodbye...

message 31: by Reese (new)

Reese Copeland (nonfreak) | 46 comments My local Borders is spared, but even with the E-Readers thing, their books are not that cheap. I like actually going into a bookstore, but, I also weigh how much it saves me to buy online too.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Sammie..Thanks for sharing about Borders closing..We have 3 bookstores here, B&N, Hastings and BAM. They are really hurting for customers..except Hastings which is smaller and more friendly inside and a little more diverse..The library is a regional big library and has been cutting books and adding more computers and entertainment features..ie a singles dating club etc..I guess we need to start hoarding our books.LOL

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (sparklyblueyes) right?! my libraries here really suck anymore...and now the good library here unless you pay a tax to their libraries which is the county and not city tax or whatever, you have to pay 100$ for an unlimited library card if you don't you can borrow one book at a time O.o something isnt right in tonka town there.

it's not only the e-readers its the fact of e-commerce too, peopl are just getting to lazy to go into the actual bookstore when they can order them online and have them delivered to their doorstep...for me I love going to the bookstore cause it gets me out of the house.

message 34: by Karrie (new)

Karrie | 8 comments There never was a Borders in the area I live in. There are B&N and Schueler's. It makes me sad to see any of them have to close. We need book stores!!!

message 35: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 26 comments NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I JUST HAD A PANIC ATTACK!

message 36: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 154 comments you have to pay to use libraries in america?

Borders- Maybe something could have been done?- if they hadnt dramatically reduced prices they may have been able to save some- they could have reduced it but not so much people would have still bought and maybe even if It kept one open

Shame that had left to last minute to resolve- sounds like in usa they have one every few blocks in some areas. Maybe some orward planning not so many shops and some sales now and again may have helped if started earlier ?

message 37: by Karrie (new)

Karrie | 8 comments None of the libraries in my area are pay to use. They are all funded through taxes. We do have to pay $1 to rent DVD's for 7 days which is way cheaper than hitting the video store.

message 38: by Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (last edited Apr 13, 2011 02:50PM) (new)

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (sparklyblueyes) no in my city & county here they decided they were gonna use tax payers money to pay for more cops than are really needed....so we now have cops that sit on there ass and do nothing and get paid for it...while our libraries have barely any books, and the ones with the books we can't use....its horrible I tell ya...but no this is just one place the entirety of America a library card is free like it should be.

Yeah I usually would go to Barnes & noble because I have their membership which is like $25 annually so no big deal, but you get like 40% off new releases, %10 percent off others and they always have awesome deals as well, along with your normal discounts. Borders I see had just started that, I think if they would have done that sooner they may have stood a chance of not having to go bankrupt. thats my opinion at least.

message 39: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) I'm trying to think of whether this bookstore I like in Joplin is a Borders, Barnes and Noble, or what.

message 40: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (sewtechnicolor) | 55 comments We never had a Borders nearby. We did have a Waldenbooks about half an hour away, but they closed about 2 years ago. And our B. Dalton closed last year.

message 41: by Lex (new)

Lex Mori (lex_mori) | 12 comments Only a few Borders around here have closed and they're far between too. My local ones are still around, though I did take multiple trips to the closing one by my work until they closed. Got a lot of good deals, but I do find this whole thing sad.

message 42: by Arminius (last edited Apr 18, 2011 10:20AM) (new)

Arminius Kristin wrote: "We never had a Borders nearby. We did have a Waldenbooks about half an hour away, but they closed about 2 years ago. And our B. Dalton closed last year."

A few years ago Borders hired a manager to fix their business. How he did this was that he closed all the Walden Book stores except those that were under a mall contract (which he couldn't). This led some places like Kristen(I think) and myself without a local bookstore. He then quit Borders.

message 43: by Monkeymom (new)

Monkeymom | 15 comments I was so sad to see the Border here downtown by my work closed. It always seemed to be busy in there and shocked they would close this one. So, no more bookstore at lunch time. Sad. I did get plenty of books with the closing sale.

There was a Waldenbooks and a B. Dalton by my house but those were closed several years ago. There is not another one on my side of town. Will have to go to another part of town to visit a bookstore now.

message 44: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 154 comments if they put a sale on but not a rock bottom prices ( ie as much as you can fit in a bag for said $ maybe they could have funnelled money to the remaining stores

message 45: by Mary (new)

Mary (book-dreamer) | 1 comments NOOOOOOOO. I detest this non-literary world we live in: did anybody see that article about the library who might get rid of all their books and just use computers? I think it's disgusting.
I also heard that Joseph-Beth (might be a local chain, or at least small) is being auctioned.
Sometimes my life just disappoints me.... Or, rather, the world does.

message 46: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 154 comments Bookdreamer wrote: "NOOOOOOOO. I detest this non-literary world we live in: did anybody see that article about the library who might get rid of all their books and just use computers? I think it's disgusting.
I also h..."

how can you read a book on library-wahat going to do send book to email address? but what about those with no computer or who can't sit and stare at computer all day!!

message 47: by Reese (new)

Reese Copeland (nonfreak) | 46 comments Bookdreamer wrote: "NOOOOOOOO. I detest this non-literary world we live in: did anybody see that article about the library who might get rid of all their books and just use computers? I think it's disgusting.
I also h..."

I hadn't heard that, but, kinda doesn't suprise me. My local library somehow allows you to download a digital version of some books. I don't know how to do any of that crap, but, I prefer to simply hold a book. Something tangible in my hand that I have to work to get through.

message 48: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Kennett | 27 comments I have taught Kindergarten and First grade for seven years and I am currently getting my masters degree in reading education. This trend of closing bookstores and only offering books in a digital format is frightening to me. I think it will make learning to read even harder and young children will not know how to focus on one story when they click around on websites the way they do. They need a book in their hands and a quiet comfortable spot to get lost in a story without distractions.

message 49: by Joseph (last edited Apr 19, 2011 05:54AM) (new)

L11Beverly wrote: "I have taught Kindergarten and First grade for seven years and I am currently getting my masters degree in reading education. This trend of closing bookstores and only offering books in a digital ..."

Beverly, I work as a Youth Services Librarian and think you make a very good point. I personally do not care for ebooks, I think you have certainly hit the nail on the head that kids need no distractions and things like the internet and ebooks sure seem to do everything but keep kids focused.

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) (sparklyblueyes) Bookdreamer wrote: "NOOOOOOOO. I detest this non-literary world we live in: did anybody see that article about the library who might get rid of all their books and just use computers? I think it's disgusting.
I also h..."

lol the library closest to me is now charging 100 for a fully functional library card, if you don't live in the small area that pays a certain tax i'm like arer you serious you're telling me I now Have to drive 30mins to my nearest library that has barely anything O.o something isn't right in tonka town there.

« previous 1