Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Budget cuts: Let the games begin!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3389 comments Is Obama serious about his proposed budget cuts? Or is this the first move in a long-term game plan? Is he playing the bad guy (cutting funding to popular programs), thereby forcing Republicans to play the good guys who save the day and reject his proposal, thereby getting what he wants?

message 2: by Scout (last edited Feb 15, 2011 11:43PM) (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3389 comments And who's going to blink first and talk about Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid - Republicans or Democrats? Or will they all just ignore the elephant in the room?

message 3: by Michele (last edited Feb 16, 2011 07:21AM) (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I don't see anyone advocating defense budget cuts. Social Security could be saved by raising the retirement age given that the average life span is now a little over 78 for men and 80 for women and no telling how much longer we can extend those ages. Also, just eliminate the "threshold" where people stop paying social security taxes. Unless of course you want to see a lot of disabled and elderly people living and dying in the streets? Also, a persons healthcare should not depend on one's financial status. unless of course you believe the poor have less worth than the middle classes and wealthy. If you truly believe in a meritocracy where one succeeds on his or her own efforts then you must eliminate inherited wealth and make it a level playing field. We could also legalize marijuana, tax the hell out of it, save money on prisons (fewer inmates), cut down on crime (no money in it for marijuana peddlers if you can buy it at the pharmacy, ABC stores etc., save money on drug enforcement. Prohibition does not work on anything. A lot of anti drug campaign money comes from drug lords who know they'll lose their market if it is legalized. If you are going to throw the elderly and disabled under the bus (and it is coming) then maybe the government should offer euthanasia. It's a kinder end than dying cold and hungry on the street.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments I would hate to still be working 70. It maybe a good way to help fix the Social Security, but for people like my father who is a laborer working in the oil field what is he to do when he can no longer keep up with the younger generation coming in?

I'd like to think that my brother and I could help him out, but with a families of our own...

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Social Security should NOT be part of budget negotiations. It was set up as a separate, FULLY FUNDED program.

The only reason they talk about it now is because the FUCKING FUCKERS borrowed every penny from the fund.

LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE (except to eliminate the cap on contributions from earnings).

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Indeed, as Phil says, word of the demise of Social Security not only is premature but entirely false. As is, the program is sound for several decades more. Beyond that, the temporary bump in the road created by the retirement of baby boomers is easily fixed.

The politically cynical misinformation about SS comes from the usual suspects of course. But people say, and others believe all sorts of preposterous hooey in the Post-factual Death Panel Era, which in earlier times likely would have vanished from the public square due to their manifest falseness and stupidity.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24101 comments Mod
The GOP proposed budget would cut $600 million from border security programs. Aren't they the ones always screaming about border security?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24101 comments Mod
Obama and congressional leaders must strike a deal by March 4 to keep the government running. Failure to pass a bill could cause an immediate stop to a wide range of federal services.

For example, renewing your passport...

But "Other self-funding agencies would ... open for business. The U.S. Mint, which finances its operations through a special fund, would still produce coins, and neither snow nor rain nor threat of shutdown would keep postal workers from their appointed rounds.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/...