fiction files redux discussion

Authors > F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
hey kids: amazingly, though we have discussed him time and time again, there isn't a folder for f. scott fitzgerald. so in his honour, i have created one even though i'm not reading anything by him right now.

however, i am playing this video game for free online:
greatgatsby by NES

there are also some interesting passages about him in
"bring on the empty horses" the david niven book i always talk about which i will transcribe soon. :)
wheeeeee!

message 2: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 886 comments Mod
I recently listened to this Studio 360 podcast episode on American Icons: The Great Gatsby http://www.studio360.org/2010/nov/25/

It's a wonderful story on a wonderful story. I highly encourage you to listen to it, but be warned, if for some crazy reason you have NOT read The Great Gatsby yet, it does contain spoilers!

message 3: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Oooh, oooh, oooh! Also have you heard about this??

Gatz is a staging of the entire book of The Great Gatsby! They literally read every word from the book on stage! It takes over six hours and there is a dinner break:
http://www.publictheater.org/componen...

It's not running anymore in NYC, but I heard it was very successful and is being taken up by other theaters around the country.

Here's a review:
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/...

message 4: by Matt, e-monk (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
the Redford one was meh

message 5: by Ry (new)

Ry (downeyr) | 173 comments Matt wrote: "the Redford one was meh"

Yeah, it got in a lot of the plot of the book, but for me it didn't seem like it had any focus. The thing with Tom's mistress could have been done a lot better and with more effect than it was.

message 6: by Martyn (last edited Feb 21, 2011 02:12PM) (new)

Martyn | 299 comments Baz Lurhmann is an overrated hack and Great Gatsby will be a glittery and superficial load of shit.

message 7: by Martyn (last edited Feb 21, 2011 04:48PM) (new)

Martyn | 299 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Martyn wrote: "Baz Lurhmann is an overrated hack and Great Gatsby will be a glittery and superficial load of shit."

Finally I see the Martyn I have read so much about. :) I take it you aren't goi..."

I won't even bother to watch it in 2D! I do like the book, very much so. It's a rightly considered classic novel. I'm concerned Lurhmann will make a complete horlicks of it like he does with everything else. What in the Dickens this man has directing this material is beyond me. He probably just wants to make a 1920s set picture and thinks Gatsby is relevant to the current world situation - which would be crass and simplistic to say the least.

Oh yeah, and Tobey Macguire is in it with that other man-child Leo DiCaprio. And Carey Mulligan... worst. film. ever.

message 8: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Hey Elizabeth, I'm glad you didn't let Martyn run you off...and by the way, just for future reference, he reviews movies for a living! :D

I am not so happy with Baz directing Great Gatsby...I just don't think he's the right fit. But I am happy with the cast, but then I like Carey Mulligan...

It'll at least be an interesting spectacle in Baz's hands and I'll totally watch it.

message 9: by R.a. (new)

R.a. (brasidas1) | 79 comments Funny. I thought the old Coppola film verson of TGG did a pretty good job—perhaps as well as can be expected. Despite the specific visual imagery Fitzgerald creates, there still lies this undercurrent that I don't think can be filmed.

As for the up-and-coming "yet another" re-make, it sounds potentially . . . well—simply "bad."

Back to Fizgerald. I know I've mentioned this a few times in other posts; but, as the stories are so good, it's worth mentioning again.

For a wonderful read: try his PAT HOBBY STORIES.

The writing is so tight. And, the style tied to character made me laugh outright. I think I actually "guffawed" at one point!

Simply--fun and great.

They don't have the literary weight of his novels or longer fiction. But, even just for 'style,' they're well worth the read.

Kudos,

message 10: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Nov 09, 2012 04:47AM) (new)

poor scott fitzgerald. i'm here to rag on him a bit. today i happened upon this article about a famous photo of him, zelda, and little scottie:

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/07/f-sco...

the point of the article was to prove the provenance of the photo, and they included some telegrams fitzgerald sent to his agent while he was staying in the hotel where the photo was taken.

being a curious george, i read the telegrams and was both amused and horrified to find this:

"would post be interested in article titled QUOTE sissy america UNQUOTE embodying the idea of too much woman education and general ineffectually [sic] of male in any line except business STOP not proposing any remedy nor putting any blame anywhere but on the man for letting control slip from his hands yet a bitter and sensational arrainment [sic] of contemporary male STOP

he goes on to say that he is "so absorbed in the idea" that he thinks he'll write it regardless of whether the post is interested -- he realizes it "is at variance with their current policy" -- whatever that might have been -- maybe to respect women's rights? not to accept unsolicited articles? :P

his agent encourages him to write it, saying he was "sure that the article will not scare the Post as much as the idea did."

oh, fitzgerald. while i love your novels, i was so igged out by the racism i found in some of the stories in "tales from the jazz age", and now this even/despite/because? you were married to a strong woman!

message 11: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

since i'm not american, i wasn't watching the debates but apparently romney would love this article fitzgerald proposed -- or at least that's what my twitter feed seems to be telling me. ;P

message 12: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 253 comments Maureen wrote: "since i'm not american, i wasn't watching the debates but apparently romney would love this article fitzgerald proposed -- or at least that's what my twitter feed seems to be telling me. ;P"

It would be wickedly funny if the Romneys turned into a parody of the Fitzgeralds. Mitt would be a Hollywood drunkard and sweet Ann, with delusions of becoming a ballerina, would dance her way into a nuthouse.

By a strange coincidence, I was looking at Zelda's paintings last week. Here is "A Mad Tea Party" ... with a ballerina, of course:

message 13: by Matt, e-monk (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
there is all manner of crazy dripping off that frame

message 14: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

So I'm rereading Gatsby with my local book group in anticipation of the clusterfuck that will be the Baz adaptation and I've decided to approach it with Greg Olear's "Nick Carroway was gay and in love with Jay Gatsby" interpretation. Has anyone else read Greg's little article?

http://www.theweeklings.com/golear/20...

I do get some of the things Greg proposes about Nick in the text, but there are lots of instances where Nick talks about affairs he's had with women and there is also how close he gets to Jordan Baker, so there are definite holes in this theory. Then again, Nick is writing his own story so if he was closeted, he would definitely write in things to throw off the scent, so to speak. It's fun to reread books, though, from different angles. Our Kidlink recently posted an old article which proposes that Gasby is a black man.

http://www.salon.com/2000/08/09/gatsby/

Anyone have anything to add on this subject?

message 15: by Sketchbook (new)

Sketchbook Martyn wrote: "Baz Lurhmann is an overrated hack and Great Gatsby will be a glittery and superficial load of shit."

2013 : You got it right. Savage reviews !

message 16: by Sketchbook (last edited May 09, 2013 09:53AM) (new)

Sketchbook Kerry wrote: "So I'm rereading Gatsby with my local book group in anticipation of the clusterfuck that will be the Baz adaptation and I've decided to approach it with Greg Olear's "Nick Carroway was gay and in l..."

No ! : Jordan has a pash for Daisy. Izznt this obvious? Tom hungers for Wolfsheim. Cut from BahBaz's pic, a 3-way tween Wolfie-Jordan-Nick. Next question?

message 17: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Huh, I do like the idea of Jordan in love with Daisy. Makes total sense. Tom doesn't hunger for anyone but Tom. I expected nothing less than savage reviews of Baz's adaptation. I still can't wait to see it and give it the full MST3K treatment!

message 18: by Sketchbook (last edited May 09, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

Sketchbook BazBah has rec'd hideous reviews fr all major media outlets except : TIME. The zine is owned by Time-Warner, you see. Murdoch isnt the only crook within the media ---. Time-Warner can ill-afford a $130m bombe, or $200m w promos.

message 19: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
I am currently reading The Beautiful and Damned and I hope to see the film in the next couple of days. I don't expect it to be great, but I feel that way about most things these days.

I also ran across this set of correspondance between our old sport and his editor regarding a draft of The Great Gatsby:

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/07/...

message 20: by Sketchbook (last edited May 11, 2013 09:47AM) (new)

Sketchbook Txs for Post #19. ~~ Yep, why izzit that these days ev'thing is uh-hunnH and we must settle ?

message 21: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

I recently came across that too Dan! I posted it for our book club to read since we are all rereading Gatsby. So many different titles! I like The High Bouncing Lover. What does that even mean?!?

message 22: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
If you've not loved in a high bouncing manner you've not truly loved.

or something...

message 23: by Sketchbook (new)

Sketchbook I luvit when it takes a movie version to git Americans to read or reread a book. This sez it all.

message 24: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
While I am definitely not one to standup for our modern American culture I am willing to bet that the reading/rereading of any classic (and maybe contemporary) novel increases as the media become populated with advertisements and reviews of a new adaptation.

Perhaps the uptick more pronounced in the United States, or perhaps the United States is just an easy target to shit on (as I often find it to be).

message 25: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

If a film adaptation is coming out of a book I've read and enjoyed I always like to re-read it so I can freshly compare it to the movie version. But I'm not one of these adaptation Nazis. I understand that literature and film are two entirely different mediums. As long as the film gets the overall feel of the book, I'm ok with some things being left out or timelines being changed, etc. I can enjoy a book and a film as separate entities.

message 26: by Sketchbook (new)

Sketchbook --Meantime, I look forward to the Baz version of "To the Lighthouse."

message 27: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Ok, I saw the new Gatsby and guess what? I didn't hate it! In fact, I kinda liked it! True, it starts out in typical manic Baz fashion with jump cut visuals, an idiosyncratic soundtrack, and lots of bombast, but eventually it calms down, settles into the story, and gets to the language and heart of the novel. Leo was a great Gatsby (pun intended) retaining the awkwardness of the novel's Gatsby way better then Redford ever did. Although there were some pieces of the novel that were excised completely (Gatsby's father, the Nick/Jordan romance), there were other little moments that were included much to my delight (Owl Eyes, Gatsby's breaking of Nick's clock). All in all, I went in with my expectations low, and was therefore shocked by how much I enjoyed it.

Anyone else see it yet? What's your opinion?

message 28: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Hettrick (jrhettrick) | 134 comments Love the book. Thought the movie was really good. The moods were set right. Leo was cool and awkward... both when need be. Found myself wishing I could step into the movie during a few scenes. The movie brought some color to a few of the black and white scenes the book placed in my head years ago. Its lively.

message 29: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
Well, I saw it and didn't hate it entirely. Opening with Jay-Z rapping was a bit overwhelming and jarring given the setting of the book but the music eventually settled down.

I had two major problems. First, what was with the over-reliance on computer animation in a movie that should have required so very little? It was maddening at first and I considered walking out in the first 5 mins. Everything looked fake. The houses, the water, the fog, the green light. How many of the things I mentioned would have been difficult to film?

Secondly, why was the movie framed around Nick's visit(s) to the shrink? How did that help the story? Why couldn't the actual story have stood on its own? Terrible.

As far as acting goes everyone gets a C or below, except for Jordan Baker played by Elizabeth Debicki, she was excellent.

All that being said, I did enjoy the core of the film, and I am glad I didn't see it in 3D. There's no way I'd have been able to handle that gimmick on top of it all.

message 30: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

That CGI effect to "enhance" the sets, scenery, and what have you is just Baz's style, so it didn't bother me.

I do agree about the framing device. In the book Nick writes the story after he goes back to Ohio (or wherever) after being fed up with NYC. Why couldn't they just have used THAT as the framing device???

I am not so harsh on the acting. I thought Leo was great. And although she wasn't classically "alluring" I even liked Carey's Daisy. But then, I'm a fan of Carey in general, so maybe I'm just biased.

message 31: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
If enfakening is Baz's stylistic affectation he hit it out of the park. Though a style, perhaps even Baz's, can be achieved without the cartoonish animation. I guess it is a larger problem I have with the film industry, the over reliance on computer animation.

The blowing curtain scene near the beginning was done so much better in the 1974 version. It was better simply because it was real.

Kerry, I too am a fan of Mulligan but didn't think she pulled off Daisy very well.

message 32: by R.a. (new)

R.a. (brasidas1) | 79 comments Kerry wrote: "Ok, I saw the new Gatsby and guess what? I didn't hate it! In fact, I kinda liked it! True, it starts out in typical manic Baz fashion with jump cut visuals, an idiosyncratic soundtrack, and lots o..."

The scene w/ Gatsby's father was excised? !!! THAT is THE "slam-dunk" moment ! Oi!