Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Wicked 2 Watch > Movie recommendations in general

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Watched 'Atonement' last night. I have mixed feelings. Overall good movie. Was too slow for the DH tho. He struggled to stay with it. Anyone read the book? How does it compare to the movie?
Any other great book to film adaptations you want to suggest? Atonement by Ian McEwan

message 2: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments I did not read the book, but the movie made me fusterated, it was artistically done well, just the consempt fusterated me

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
The ending took me ny surprise... and broke my heart, I hadn't read the book, so I didn't know what to expect.

message 4: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I read the book. It is absolutely beautiful. But incredibly sad.

message 5: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments But of course you did Regina! Lol

I was frustrated too! You keep wishing everyone had behaved differently. Or at least locked the freakin' door?? Isn't that sex 101?? Seriously! Now I can return the darn thing to Netflix after 30 days trying to watch it! I'm glad I did though.

message 6: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments lol!! Seriously locks were invented for a reason!! I just couldn't get over how dumb the 10 year old and how much she messed up everyone's lives!

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I blamed the adults for not asking right questions and relying on her opinion too much.

message 8: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments seriously! Look how messed up everyones lives got!

message 9: by Leea (new)

Leea Has anyone read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen . It looks like the movie based on this book might be really good. Thoughts??

message 10: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments I haven't read that either, but my mom saw the cover and was wondering if there is suppose to be a big age gap between the characters

message 11: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick Leea wrote: "Has anyone read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. It looks like the movie based on this book might be really good. Thoughts??"

Yup, read it. It was OK read, but it did enlighten me to the circus industry in America.

I am curious to see how the movie will play out and how Rob Pattison and Reese Witherspoon will work as the characters (sorry it will hard for me to see past Edward Cullen character he usually plays)

I guess there is an age gap between the characters as it is part of the story. It is explained in the book why she married him.

message 12: by Leea (new)

Leea I read it as well and thought it was OK... I think the movie looks better :) I agree that poor Rob Pattison is type cast as Edward Cullen (don't worry i don't really feel bad for him $$$)

Other books that will be movies are:
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons

I have not read city of bones but it's on my night stand to read. I know the outlander and Bronze horseman group talk a lot about the movies being made for each book.

message 13: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) There's alot of movies to books right now. There is also plans for

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

And then one of the ones I'm excited for (despite the poor casting of Stephanie Plum) should be out this year at some point.

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich

message 14: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick yeah he is really raking it in. hehe

I have all these on my TBR shelf too.

I am curious to hear more about the Hunger Games and if that will be made into a movie and who will play Katnis and Peeta.

message 15: by Wendy F (last edited Feb 18, 2011 01:43PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Last I heard there hadn't been any actual casting done. It's just said that the rights have been purchased by Lionsgate and that Suzanne Collins is writing the screenplay herself.

http://www.mahalo.com/hunger-games-movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/

message 16: by Leea (new)

Leea Wendy F wrote: "There's alot of movies to books right now. There is also plans for

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie StiefvaterThe Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

And then one of the ones I'm excited for (despite the poor ..."

Forgot about those :) I have not yet read Shiver yet Wendy - Did you like it?? I also have yet to read the Stephanie Plum series but my BFF say's that are so good!

message 17: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 18, 2011 02:20PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Hunger Games is definitely going to be a movie. Collins is writing the screenplay herself, which makes me excited that the book and movie will be similar.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Or what Wendy said and I totally skipped over that post somehow...

message 19: by Leea (new)

Leea I'm Glad that Collins is writing the screenplay. I'm not happy that Diana Gabaldon is not writing the screenplay for the outlander movie. I don't know why an Author would not want to write the screenplay for a movie based on their book... Just saying!!

message 20: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments Maybe time? Cause didn't J.K. Rowling not write for harry potter but was always had a hand?

message 21: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 18, 2011 02:45PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I think figuring out the dynamic of a screenplay would be completely different from writing a book, which could be extremely difficult if you have no experience with it.

A book you can just write the story as it comes to you. A screenplay has to be adapted from the book, with dialog fitting into set timeframes. You also have to take into account what's going on in the environment (like a pause for thunder crashing), if another person enters the picture and has to say a line, etc.

Collins used to be a t.v. writer for the show Clarissa Explains it all and even wrote for other shows like the cartoon Little Bear on Nick, so she at least has some experience with screenplay writing.

message 22: by Leea (new)

Leea I guess so but i would just want control over my Characters. But i'm a control freak at times. At least we get to enjoy these books another way :)

message 23: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments Ah I remember Clarissa Explains it all!

message 24: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments Leea wrote: "Other books that will be movies are:
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)Outlander (Outlander, #1)The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1)

I have not read city of bones but it's on my night stand to read. I know the outlander and Bronze horseman group talk a lot about the movies being made for each book. "

As far as I know, the talk about Outlander being made into a movie is just that - talk. There's been tons of speculation for years and it is currently optioned, but no solid plans right now. I'm sure Diana would have it on her website the minute anything really materialized, but so far there's nothing yet.

message 25: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) This the furthest they've gotten toward making the movie. There's actually a few names for Director and rumors that production will start sometime in 2011. Rumors of Heigl thinking of playing in the movie (NY Times), but nothing concrete.

message 26: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Leea wrote: "Wendy F wrote: "There's alot of movies to books right now. There is also plans for

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie StiefvaterThe Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

And then one of the ones I'm excited for (despi..."

I liked at alot. It has a sweet lyrical writing that I enjoyed. I liked her second one, Linger too. I gave them 4 stars, I'm pretty sure.

Maggie Stiefvater's blog is hilarious too.

message 27: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 18, 2011 09:50PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I liked Linger much better than Shiver. The concept of Shiver was nice and I liked it overall, but also sort of felt like it had way too much filler. They were always in a truck, a bed, a store, etc. Sam and Grace didn't interest me all that much either as a couple. It was a cute story though, and the wolves changing with the temperature was a very cool take on shifters for sure.

I'm just having a hard time figuring out how this book would translate to film. There isn't a lot of action in the first one.

Linger had Cole and Isabelle, therefore it was a winner. I really liked Cole.

message 28: by Ladyhawk (last edited Feb 19, 2011 11:08PM) (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments I appreciate these comments on the Shiver series. I just can't bring myself to read it yet. It seems more juvenile than not. Is that so?? But I know many people like it. I don't know why it's stuck in my head as a childrens book.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It's a decent read, but there are other YA books that I like a lot better. The heat level is nonexistent in the first book if you like some steam. The extent of them hooking up was he went under the blanket and then I blinked and it was over. YA is a pretty broad range of books, from very young to very mature and I'd put this somewhere in the middle of the maturity level.

If you're more into heavy romance, I'd say skip it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Wendy F wrote: "And then one of the ones I'm excited for (despite the poor casting of Stephanie Plum) should be out this year at some point..."

I hear a lot of people are upset at the choice of Katherine Heigl for the role.

message 31: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Shiver is essentially a YA love story (No smut, haha). There's not alot of action. I liked Sam and Grace because of that dynamic. I can't put him on any 'hot male' list because Maggie did an amazing job of making you feel like Sam belonged to Grace alone.

I think it would make a great movie, though more of a slower paced lovestory then anything action packed. Shiver made me cry, Linger had Cole. So they're tied for me.

Stacia - I preferred Cole too. SO hot.

message 32: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Stacia ~ ran out of lette... wrote: "Wendy F wrote: "And then one of the ones I'm excited for (despite the poor casting of Stephanie Plum) should be out this year at some point..."

I hear a lot of people are upset at the choice of ..."

Oh yeah. I like Kate heigl as an actress. I think that she'll do decently well at pulling off Stephanie's clumsy antics, but the look is ALL wrong.

message 33: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Greetings my dear GR friends! Missed you dearly! Just wanted to say I did see Red Riding Hood! It was entertaining and fun! Great suspense. Towns people were such a mob I found myself rooting for the Wolf! The movie turned out much different than I expected! It was a fun filled evening! Pedis and a movie with my gf's for my 43rd Bday! Yikes!

Anyone see Beastly? My daughter said it was her new favorite movie!

message 34: by Leea (new)

Leea Yay!! Happy Birthday Ladyhawk and Welcome Back!!

message 35: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn I must have been in a cave. I just found out that Something Borrowed (Darcy & Rachel, #1) by Emily Giffin is going to be a movie soon. I haven't read it, but I know that the series is very popular.

Happy birthday, Ladyhawk.

message 36: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Thank you ladies! I feel so out of the loop! Lol
I did see "something borrowed" was coming to the big screen. It looks good. Makes those of us who have not read it, want to race to get it read before it comes out! Right?! Lol!!

message 37: by Leea (new)

Leea Well I guess i've been in a cave to. ha!! I've never even heard of this book much less know it would be a movie. LOL!!!

message 38: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Looks like it got mixed book reviews. I do see it often at the bookstore but not really my genre of preference so it's not currently on my tbr list. I prefer fantasy/historical romance to modern. Gee I wonder why? But I'm also not a fan of reality shows and modern romance movies remind me of reality shows. I just don't have the patience for them.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Happy happy after the fact!

Haven't seen any of the new releases, but maybe this weekend.

message 40: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Archer (cjarcher) | 95 comments Ladyhawk wrote: "Looks like it got mixed book reviews. I do see it often at the bookstore but not really my genre of preference so it's not currently on my tbr list. I prefer fantasy/historical romance to modern. G..."

So do I! I have enough reality in my real life, lol. Give me historical and fantasy any day.

message 41: by Laraine (new)

Laraine (lala26) | 39 comments I watched the trailer for Something Borrowed and it looked really cute! My sister bought the book but like most of you I prefer historical/ paranormal books. Maybe I'll just watch the movie, we'll see :)

message 42: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments C. J. I second that emotion! Haha!

Laraine, birds of a feather aye!

message 43: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Stacia ~ "Happy happy after the fact!
Haven't seen any of the new releases, but maybe this weekend."

Thanks Stacia! Hope you make it to the movies. I'd say it's a movie worthy weekend.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Both of the kids are gone tomorrow night, so I'm crossing my fingers that we'll make it!

message 45: by Leea (new)

Leea Wow... I hope you get some time along. I'll have to live vicariously thru you.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) My teen is going away for a week to Guatemala with his church on a youth trip. I think I want to be living vicariously through him, actually. :p

message 47: by Leea (new)

Leea Yeah that might be better than going to the movies... Ha!! I have not family support so my husband and I never get to go out. We are between babysitters right not so it just stinks. Have a great time!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) We went out to dinner and saw Red Riding Hood tonight. I was a bit nervous because a few of the GR'ers didn't like it much, but I actually liked it. There were a couple of scenes that were a bit on the cheese side (one guy says to the girl "I could eat you up"...really???), but overall it was pretty decent. I actually guessed who the wolf was within the first 15 minutes of the movie and was psyched to be right (usually it takes me 2 or 3 guesses to get it).

Billy Burke kept throwing me off as the dad. I couldn't get past him being Bella's dad from Twilight (he was made for that role I think). I wanted him to grow his 80's stache back. It was strange to see him without it.

message 49: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I didn't read the book so I'm not exactly sure what type of style it is. I can't tell if it's got a romantic main vein or if it's suspenseful.

message 50: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I don't know why I thought it was based on a YA novel... I googled it and can't find anything saying its based on a book.

« previous 1