The New Weird discussion

Kraken

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
Has anyone read Kraken by China Mieville? I've been hearing mixed reviews and wanted to get some more opinions.

message 2: by Ned (new)

Ned Hayes (nedhayes) | 1 comments Yes, I've read it. It's his weakest book so far. Too much exposition, too many cool and bizarre ideas with few ties to a fully imagined world. I recommend THE SCAR or PERDIDO STREET STATION or even IRON COUNCIL instead. If you're in the mood for a really good and haunting story that plays with ideas of gods, unreal spirits and barely understood supernatural forces, Tim Power's STRESS OF HER REGARD is a much better read.

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the three Mieville books you've mentioned, but was hoping Kraken would be as good.

What about the City and the City?

message 4: by Terence (new)

Terence (spocksbro) Ah, the vagaries of taste. I thought Kraken was one of Mieville's better efforts.

The City & The City is good but I thought China was very restrained in his writing style. I'd probably like it more on a reread.

His latest, Embassytown, is excellent.

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
I guess I'll just have to decide for myself.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I really loved Kraken. For comparison, The City & The City is one of my favourite books ever, but I couldn't finish Perdido Street Station. So it's all a matter of taste really :)

I'm waiting for Embassytown to get a bit cheaper on Kindle, it sounds interesting too.

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "I really loved Kraken. For comparison, The City & The City is one of my favourite books ever, but I couldn't finish Perdido Street Station. So it's all a matter of taste really :)

I'm waiting for ..."

Perdido is one of my favorites; I also liked Scar, and to a less degree Iron Council. I'll have to get Kraken and the City & the City so I can add my two cents.