THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

Authors and Their Books > Emily Hill- Storytelling...Jenkins: Confederate Blockade Runner (Volume 1)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB (last edited Feb 15, 2011 06:08PM) (new)

Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB  | 7274 comments Mod
Jenkins: Confederate Blockade Runner (Volume 1) by Emily Hill (Goodreads Author), Jason Black (Editor), Kat Marriner (Designer)
Jenkins: Confederate Blockade Runner (Volume 1) 3.33 · rating details · 3 ratings · 4 reviews
Jenkins: Confederate Blockade Runner, is based on the exciting life of adventurer, settler, and Confederate hero, C.T. Jenkins who rides with Newburne's Company of Mounted Rifles and defies the blockade of The South during the Civil War. Born into a prominent Baltimore family in 1811, Jenkins challenges his father's wishes that he continue the Baltimore family enterprise,...moreJenkins: Confederate Blockade Runner, is based on the exciting life of adventurer, settler, and Confederate hero, C.T. Jenkins who rides with Newburne's Company of Mounted Rifles and defies the blockade of The South during the Civil War. Born into a prominent Baltimore family in 1811, Jenkins challenges his father's wishes that he continue the Baltimore family enterprise, making a dash for independence. He finds the independence he seeks, riding with Newburne's Company of Mounted Rifles and serving in Florida's 4th Infantry during the Civil War. But his life of adventure comes at an expensive trade off - the severing of all ties with his father and brothers. A mid-life encounter with Vermont's Lucy Colburn, his intellectual and emotional equal, prompts C.T. to reconsider the hurt and damage abandoning his Baltimore family may have caused. He gravitates toward Mrs. Colburn, with only one reservation: widowed, she is ten years his senior. But, she has an ingénue daughter, Eliza, for whom Mrs. Colburn seeks a suitable match. Jenkins is being considered by Mrs. Colburn in what could become a December-May union between her daughter and Jenkins. However, the quiet beauty, Eliza, prefers the suave, but opportunistic, Taylor Babcock. The Civil War interrupts C.T.'s life as he is captured by Union forces off Florida's Gulf Coast for the crime of blockade running. Facing a life sentence to be served at Fort Warren prison, Jenkins realizes that to survive his ordeal he must face the challenge of realigning with his Baltimore family, thus gaining access to family resources. In prison Jenkins comes to terms with the real cost of his flight from Baltimore and grasps at one final chance at establishing the one thing missing in his life - family

FROM EMILY:

Storytelling! I love a good story, one that weaves, and surprises, and makes either good economical use of the languages, or waxes lyrical. Long sentences that meander, or short bursts and punches - I don't care! But tell me a story, or, even better let me tell you a story - and I am a very happy person.
It all started when I was in second grade - I wrote my first short story - complete with illustrations. It was entitled, The Widow. Written at the prompting of my mother, The Widow included the elements of sadness, longing, hope, and finally - a Disneyland ending. ahhhh. My mother must have loved the ending because when she died in 2001 I found The Widow at the bottom of her keepsake drawer along with school papers, grade cards and love notes my siblings and I had given her as children.
My college writing included an academic quarter's stint as reporter for The Highline Times in Des Moines, Washington where I wrote about the 'crime scene' of Des Moines ala 1970's. Not much material there - believe me! One of my short stories was included in the Highline College anthology of creative writing, which delighted me, of course. I wouldn't have discovered that Imitating Jackie O! had been published were it not that it was 'exampled' when my sister took a creative writing class from one of the same writing teachers as me///err///I. [see how important editors are?]
My professional writing began under the editorial tutelage of Thomas C. Ambrose, Weyerhaeuser Company's public relations guru of the 1970's and 80s. For ten years I was privileged to write features about Weyerhauser employees for the corporate newspaper and, at that time also started my photography portfolio. By the end of the 1980's I was going in an entirely different direction with my writing. As the University of Washington's Public Records Officer my task was to deflect and spin under a master who will go unnamed, except that ultimately he was sued by The Seattle Times for obfuscating one too many news stories. Marsha King knows the story...yummy.
Genealogy became the vehicle for my first novel, Jenkins: Confederate Blockade Runner. I met my match in C.T. (Cyprian) Jenkins - a long lost uncle who left ancestral Baltimore for the sunny climes of gulf coast Florida. My Aunt Cordella left to me the civil war photo album of this prolific writer and my world stopped. Literally.
Jenkins: Confederate Blockade Runner, which I published at age sixty under my great2-Uncle's publishing imprint, A. V. Harrison - Publishing, is my dream come true. The story that practically wrote itself - except for the able craft mastering of professional editor Jason Black, and the help of many researchers, librarians, and supportive family members.
I dearly hope that you like the results - and will watch for my second novel, The Tailors Of Baltimore: A Civil War Story. Jenkins Confederate Blockade Runner (Volume 1) by Emily Hill
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB  | 7274 comments Mod
such a treasure of history!!!!!!!!