March/April Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bexactually) | 17 comments Mod
Please nominate books for March/April.
Nominations for March taken ASAP :)

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Broadhurst (reynardridge) | 32 comments This looks really intriguing: Wench
by Dolen Perkins-Valdez

Also, I just finished Unbroken (by the author of Seabiscuit) and it was quite an engrossing read. Also full of excrement, though, if that really turned you off Blindness.

Pillars of the Earth by Folliet was mentioned as being on a lot of people's lists. As was the awesome dog book, "The Art of Racing in the Rain."

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 10 comments I have no suggestion -- I'm a month behind as I'm still reading Blindness and Lord of Misrule just came into the library. I will try to catch up with whatever is picked for March. Again, I'd push for something that's available for the Kindle, or easily available at the library or out in paperback.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bexactually) | 17 comments Mod
I am thinking of extending the current two books for one more month, I think some people (including myself!) are behind :)

If everyone could list 3 books they are interested in, we could get a "year" long list going.

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Broadhurst (reynardridge) | 32 comments OK, I'll think about it and get back to the group.

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 10 comments Reading through the original thread, here's a list of some of the books mentioned:
Pillars of the Earth
Art of Racing in the Rain
Modoc
The Lacuna
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Dog of the South
Three on my to-read list:
Swamplandia
Oreo
Freedom

I am not a big fan of animal books -- usually too painful or too cute but then part of the point of a book club for me is to read something I might not read on my own. I couldn't get through Lord of Misrule and the guilt of giving up is killing me. I should have given it more of a chance but it was due at the library.

Swamplandia was a Slate XX podcast rec, Oreo was a NPR book so take the source of the recommendations into account. Blindness was an NPR 'you must read this' book and we all know how that went!

Just some thoughts for future books.

message 7: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Broadhurst (reynardridge) | 32 comments I've read: Art of Racing in the Rain (loved it!), The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (didn't love it!), and Pillars of the Earth (flawed, but still grand!).

On my "to read" list are: The Lacuna, The Dog of the South, and Oreo.

Plus, Cutting for Stone (just started that today), The Mountain Lion (NPR recco, out of print, so maybe hard to get), Portraits of a Marriage, Wench, and the Oracle of Stamboul.

I'd be happy to read any of those.

message 8: by Bird4416 (new)

Bird4416 | 20 comments Cutting for Stone was one of the best books I've ever read. I still think about that book and I read it over a year ago.

message 9: by Mari Alice (new)

Mari Alice (snipper) | 7 comments Now that I know "Blindness" was an NPR recommendation, I realize why I hated it so much! God, what a horrible book. (And, I'm just kidding about NPR, I'm a bleeding heart liberal pinko in real life.)

mari alice

message 10: by Bird4416 (new)

Bird4416 | 20 comments I'm reading "The House at Riverton" by Kate Morton. Its great so far (I'm about half way) Its a much easier read than the last two books.

message 11: by Bird4416 (new)

Bird4416 | 20 comments Ok guys, what's the next book?