Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Two types of cricket. Take your pick.

[image error]

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb Those gloves look way too big for her.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments She has on gloves?

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb Look closer ... to the right.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gabby, I'll read your thread so I can amaze Zu with my knowledge of cricket.

In the meantime, go Proteas!

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments guess i didn't know this about cricket...

"Most Americans may not know much about the rules of cricket, but the game is so popular all over the world that the top players’ earnings rival those of the NFL, NBA, MLB and PGA.

Case in point: Mahendra Singh Dhoni earns $2 million a year in salary as top cricketer in the India Premier League, but tack on endorsements from global companies like Pepsi and Reebok and the 29-year-old batsman takes home a cool $10 million annually."

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I can buy into this thread. Although Australia hasn't had the controversy Pakistan has suffered. There seems to be a distinct lack of planning from the Australian selectors. Once Warnie & McGrath were gone the team has been a shambles. We have plenty of dead wood in the team. Ricky Ponting is washed up, Mike Hussey is too old (oh just checked the update, it appears he is injured anyway, no surprises there.); I love Brett Lee but he is forever injured; Michael Clarke is useless; don't talk to me about Michael Johnson (brainless twit). I am sure if I looked hard I could find some redeeming features in the side. My expectations for this world cup are for an early exit.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Barb wrote: "Look closer ... to the right."

Oh, there they are!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Things are not looking good for Australia. We've had two preliminary matches, lost them both. One to India and one to South Africa. YeOuch, the South Africans passed us one down.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Our first game of the Tournament is Australia vs Zimbabwe on the 21st Feb. A nice easy one to start with.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Not unexpected. In a way it is disappointing the minnows don't put up more of a fight. It would be good for cricket to have some new players.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Gabby that has been the story of Australian cricket for some time now. Our batting is just not good enough.

I see Pakistan has a nice warm up against Kenya on Wednesday. I don't need to wish you luck in that game.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting finish between England & India. I work with an Indian, he told me it ruined his weekend. I could only smile. It's a funny game cricket.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Only when Canada becomes competitive will it be a dilemma Gabby! Until then feel free to switch alliances.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

You are not making me happy Gabby. I am not a fan of Hussey and we need Dougie in the team. Wahhhh!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Bollinger doesn't bring a lot to the team in terms of batting. :) He is a favourite in my house, my kids love him. I am not as familiar with your team. I haven't paid as much attention to cricket since I had kids and since Imran Khan left the team...showing my vintage now. :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Looks like Ireland are the loose cannon when it comes to world cup cricket. They beating England.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Zu was very excited that Ireland beat England. Apparently that came completely unexpectedly?

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gabby81 wrote: "South Africa has a flying start to this tournament and they look the complete package in all departments.
"

Naturally :)

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I watched one, Gabby! SA vs. India. Nailbiting last few minutes.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Another unsatisfactory result for my Indian work colleague. Australia hasn’t really gotten started yet. 2 wins and a nil result against Sri Lanka, next up is Kenya. Traditionally we like to lose a game to a side we should really smash. I hope it's not Kenya, we need the points.

message 22: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye I like the aggressive look of Aussie's bowling attack, Fast & Furious.
What attack?
Gabby, have you been watching them on "fast forward" again?

message 23: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Jim wrote: "Barb wrote: "Look closer ... to the right."

Oh, there they are!"

Now, see if you can spot her box, Jim.

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 12, 2011 09:51PM) (new)

Ian wrote: "I like the aggressive look of Aussie's bowling attack, Fast & Furious.
What attack?
Gabby, have you been watching them on "fast forward" again?"

My thoughts exactly Ian. I have been trying to convince Gabby that our attack is poultry. I think he has visions of past world cups clouding his view.

message 25: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "My thoughts exactly Ian. I have been trying to convince Gabby that our attach is poultry. I think he has visions of past world cups clouding his view."
I wonder whether I misunderstood Gabby's comment.
He said he likes their aggressive "look".
My worry is they're all look and no aggression.
Glen McGrath wasn't about look.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I assumed Gabby was impressed with our attack. Ha!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I wonder if your comment to Jim will be lost in translation?

message 28: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "I wonder if your comment to Jim will be lost in translation?"
Don't encourage me, Gail, I still feel a bit guilty.
Sorry for the delay, I've been watching Rebecca Black videos.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

No need to feel guilty or any need to worry about timely replies. Gabby will really appreciate having someone else to chat to about cricket. :)

message 30: by Ian (last edited Mar 18, 2011 07:50AM) (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye I hope you're right, Gail.
Maybe I should tell a cricket story that doesn't involve a failed joke about a box?
My favourite batsman of the modern era is still Brian Lara.
When he scored 501 in the county game in England, the English newspaper, The Observer, did a special article to commemorate the innings.
One novel idea they had was to interview each batsman who had been at the other end of the wicket while he was batting.
They built this into a story of his innings.
There were quite a few, but the last one who was with him when he scored the last runs was actually there long enough to score a century himself.
So the interviewer said, "You were with him the longest. Did you notice whether he showed any particular weaknesses during his innings?"
"Well I did actually," he replied. "But there was just one.
"He tended to get incredibly nervous in the four hundred and nineties."

message 31: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye The Pakistralian game's on tonight.
Woo hoo!

message 32: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye You're right, Gabby, but the only way they'd get an opposition out for 50 is if the opposition wasn't allowed to take their bats out onto the wicket.
Equipped with a toothpick or a lettuce leaf, 50 would be a pretty good score.

message 33: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye I haven't watched the second innings yet, Gabby.
But I don't think it's going to be much fun.
41 overs sounds like the run chase was a bit leisurely for this form of the game, but it was better than what the Stanis needed to do.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Congratulations on the win Gabby. Australias biggest problem at the moment is in its batting, bowling and fielding. Apart from that we are pretty good at sledging. It will certainly be a different world cup this year. There does't seem to be any side that is particularly dominant.

message 35: by Ian (last edited Mar 19, 2011 04:43PM) (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Well said, Gail.
Though I think sledging should be restricted to stand up comedy and social network sites.
If it's to be retained at all, they should limit it to the last 10 overs and call it a "power spray" or something.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha yes, it might give us a chance to really shine. So who are you tipping to win the world cup this year Ian? My Indian colleague thought they were in with a good chance. but his confidence has been shaken.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

As much as I loved Ricky Ponting. His days as Capitain are numbered. I don't want Michael Clark to be Capitain but don't know who else they could choose.

I haven't watched the match Gabby but did hear we had you 6 out for 150 so I imagine it would have been a great match to watch. I love it when Brett Lee bowls well.

message 38: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Gabby81 wrote: "Gabby wrote: "Generally Pakistani bowling wins matches for us as proven today as well. "
Totally agree, Gabby. this is why I'd rather have your fast bowlers than ours at the moment.
Our fast bowlers aren't accurate enough, and our accurate bowlers aren't fast enough.
We all know why Steven Smith didn't get a go...
Gail, I'm not making any predictions yet.
As long as it's not South Africa (the Collingwood of cricket.)

message 39: by Ian (last edited Mar 19, 2011 09:22PM) (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Gabby, you're a very fair commentator.
Most Aussies, even the loyal ones, are very opinionated and negative at the moment.
I feel the same way as Gail about the captaincy.
Yet, I'm sure that Gail and I and most of the rest of us would get behind Ricky if he'd get some more consistent runs (again... it's not as if we know he can't do it).
Then again, if Ricky was performing with the bat, no-one would even be talking about him handing over the captaincy yet.
I have got so much pleasure out of watching Ricky in the past. Like Bradman and Lara and Tendulkar, he's extracted so much power and grace out of a relatively small body in a game that's easily dominated by the talls.
I love that about him.
I don't know how the finals are organised, but I think it will be Pakistan to beat South Africa (as long as you can score more runs than them!).
If you let them off the leash, they'll bite you.

message 40: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Mar 23, 2011
PAK vs WI
Venue : Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur

Mar 24, 2011
AUS vs IND
Venue : Sardar Patel Stadium, Motera, Ahmedabad

Mar 25, 2011
NZ vs RSA
Venue : Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur

Mar 26, 2011
SL vs ENG
Venue : R.Premadasa Stadium

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Urhhh. It's going to be a tough day in the office if we get knocked out by India. Then again we could always win. :)

It is pretty awesome that Ireland came away with 2 wins and Canada 1.

message 42: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "Urhhh. It's going to be a tough day in the office if we get knocked out by India. Then again we could always win. :)

It is pretty awesome that Ireland came away with 2 wins and Canada 1."

I think if we get beaten by India, that'll be the end of us.
Aren't they going to exclude the minnow nations from future World Cups?
I would have thought it gives them something to work towards and helps build the game.
Gabby, haven't you recovered from your win yet?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

We can't afford the minnows to go! they seem to be the only ones we can beat at the moment. Gabby posted an article in msg 16 refering to the elimination of the minnows.

message 44: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "We can't afford the minnows to go! they seem to be the only ones we can beat at the moment. Gabby posted an article in msg 16 refering to the elimination of the minnows."
I read Ricky's comments, but he gets paid to agree with the ICC.
It's part of the rules that allow him to let off some steam on field and in the dressing room.
maybe we need two divisions with the possibility of elevation and relegation between the two.
I think we should also have two Australian teams (like the days of Australia A).
The top team used to be terrified that they'd get upstaged by the A Team.
It also gave the public an opportunity to see the next group of players perform outside the Sheffield Shield.
I am more and more convinced that Gabby is a closet Aussie, having read some of the earlier posts.
The only doubt is his unfailing sense of fairness and generosity.
How un-Australian!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

It's lucky he chose to move to Canada and not Australia.

message 46: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "It's lucky he chose to move to Canada and not Australia."
Who?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Ian wrote: "Who?"

Gabby. He recently immigrated from Pakistan to Canada.

message 48: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "Ian wrote: "Who?"

Gabby. He recently immigrated from Pakistan to Canada."

Aha, he still has Karachi on his page.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess I should formally welcome you to the TerminalCoffee group. Jim is the usual group welcoming committee, as he's unlikely to venture back in here and you seem reluctant to venture out. Welcome to the group. :)

message 50: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "I guess I should formally welcome you to the TerminalCoffee group. Jim is the usual group welcoming committee, as he's unlikely to venture back in here and you seem reluctant to venture out. Welcom..."
Thank you.
How do I get out?
Where should I go?
Are there other topics that are as fun as this one?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.