The Sword and Laser discussion

Share your expertise

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2844 comments This is for Tom and Veronica, in case they want to pull anyone into a podcast in the future.

I am such a newb in reading sword and laser books, myself. My only area of real mastery is post-apocalyptic, and even there I'm not sure I'd ever be as eloquent as JLawrence once.

But I bet there are others who would be. So, what do you know more about than anyone else? Go on, it won't be bragging, and nothing could be too narrow. We're all slightly geeky here.

message 2: by Dylan Northrup (new)

Dylan Northrup | 33 comments First the general expertise I have:

I'm a unix system administrator and have been for the past 2 decades (and it's sobering for me to type that in because it sure doesn't seem like it's been that long).
My undergraduate work was done in Science Education (and I've got plenty of friends who are teachers).
I work at a large media organization in Atlanta and am an avid student of old and new media.
I am on Videography staff at Dragon*Con and have done filming and editing.

Thinking on this, I realize that Tom and Veronica likely already know unix guys (living in and around the SF Bay Area), folks who are avid students of old and new media as well as people who've done filming and editing. . . so I'm not sure what I'd be able to contribute generally, other than a love of BBQ.

As far as books/fiction, I'm a big Terry Pratchett fan, Babylon 5 fan, comics fan (and used to own a comics store) as well as a gaming fan.

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Let's see, I have expertise in medieval literature, the history of the horror genre, classic films, and J.R.R. Tolkien. So if we ever do The Nibelungenlied, I can explain its influence upon E.T.A. Hoffmann, The Lord of the Rings, and the development of film noir. But otherwise I can't see it being particularly useful.

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6194 comments Probably more tv & comics than books. But I read mostly scifi now. My job involves trying to login to Windows 7 faster than 2 minutes.

message 5: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I have no skills or specialized knowledge.