What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED!: sf/f: woman enslaved on another world with earrings as sign of slavery [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karina (last edited Feb 15, 2011 07:21AM) (new)

Karina (camomiletea) | 12 comments It's been over 10 years ago that I read this; it was a library book. If I'm not mistaken it's the length of a novel. Somehow a woman from our world is transported to some other world, and is enslaved there. The detail I recall most vividly is the fact that the sign of slavery used were earrings and noserings. Earrings were considered worse there because they are on the outside and leave visible holes; whereas if you take out noserings, no one knows you were a slave. This woman from our world however accepted the earrings, sort of showing the others that it's okay; but really didn't want the nosering. I wish I could recall the name of the story... I really don't remember how it turned out in the end.

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 108 comments It sounds like one of the Gor books by John Norman.

message 3: by stormhawk (last edited Feb 15, 2011 10:08AM) (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments I've read pretty much all of the Gor novels and don't remember earrings. The slaves wore a silver collar formed out of a curved bar of metal which could not be removed. I think it was called a "Torean collar?"

I think there is only one Gor book where an earth woman is transported to Gor and made a slave. Might be Captive of Gor.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For My first thought was Gor as well, but in retrospect I don't think that's right.

Terry Goodkind uses a similar thing in his books where the Empire makes women into slaves using nose rings and possibly earrings (the better the quality of the metal, the higher up the chain-of-command the slave owner).

message 5: by Karina (new)

Karina (camomiletea) | 12 comments The Captive of Gor does sound about right. Thank you all, that was quick solution. I'll try to confirm it and then move topic.

message 6: by Karina (new)

Karina (camomiletea) | 12 comments At any rate it seems right, but I didn't remember that there's sexual content... Per wiki "books seven, eleven, nineteen, twenty-two, twenty-six, and twenty-seven are narrated by abducted Earth women who are made slaves."

message 7: by Karina (new)

Karina (camomiletea) | 12 comments I know Terry Goodkind's series, and it's not it.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Thanks, Karina. Thanks for letting us know when you're sure. If it's not the right book, we'll keep looking.

message 9: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments To be honest, I don't think any U.S. Library would have carried the Gor books.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments I just checked and my local public library has Outlaw of Gor. (And one of the university libraries has that one and two others.) It probably depends on the community where the library was located and the librarian's perspective on collection development. If there was interest, a lot of librarians would have bought them despite any distaste they might personally feel. (I had to read, well skim, one for a research project once and was not impressed ... so I understand where you're coming from.)

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
My local library had them way back when. So some libraries did have them.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (dejameek) | 53 comments Did she trick one of the slavers into putting it in her ears by asking for it in her nose or something like that?

message 13: by Karina (last edited Feb 16, 2011 11:14PM) (new)

Karina (camomiletea) | 12 comments Well, it wasn't a US library... I didn't think it mattered and didm't mention. It was a Russian translation too. Were these books ever translated to russian?

Michele, no, no trick. Everyone got both earrings and noserings in the end, they just happened to begin with earrings. And this woman was like, well, I never pierced my ears, but sort of wanted it. She volunteered to be first. And she was held up as example to others... Then when it came to noserings, they dragged her out first as well since she was so calm with the earrings... But this time she was distraught as the other women were earlier. And the others didn't understand, thinking the worst part was over already.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (liralin) | 197 comments Google Books provides a search inside "Captive of Gor", which seems to confirm that this book does match the description. Searching on keywords like "nose ring" provides multiple snippets that confirm the earring/nose ring stuff, with the nose ring being perceived as better, even considered pretty, than the piercing of the ears. Also matches with the main character feeling opposite -- hating the nose ring, having been brave about getting her ears pierced, but crying over the nose ring.

message 15: by Karina (new)

Karina (camomiletea) | 12 comments This is it. Thanks Rebecca!