Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Food for Thought > Stockholm Syndrome concept

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maria (last edited Feb 15, 2011 05:49AM) (new)

Maria | 135 comments Most of us have heard of the term ‘Stockholm Syndrome’. I got interested after watching a BBC documentary about Ingrid Betancourt who was the world's most famous hostage. On February 23rd 2002, Ingrid, a presidential candidate in Colombia's elections, was kidnapped by the left-wing FARC rebel group along with her assistant and friend Clara Rojas. She was held for over six years in the jungle - with only occasional news coming out including a shocking picture which showed her clearly on the verge of collapse, if not death, in 2007.
This was an account of what happened in the jungle in her words and of those who were there with her: Clara Rojas, her Campaign manager and Marc Gonsalves, one of three Americans who were also held by FARC for many years. The film tells how Ingrid and Clara fell out, ending up virtual enemies with completely different strategies of survival. The film explores the dynamics of captivity, including remarkable interviews with both the FARC soldier who kidnapped Ingrid and Clara - along with their main camp commander, who actually presided over Clara's caesarian section in the middle of the jungle. The film ends with the most daring rescue mission since Entebbe. The Colombian Military sent in twelve unarmed men and women pretending to be aid workers and lured the guerrillas into believing that they were transferring them on a humanitarian mission.

I looked up the meaning and there are various connotations from the internet. In psychology, Stockholm syndrome is a term used to describe a paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express adulation and have positive feelings towards their captors that appear irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, essentially mistaking a lack of abuse from their captors as an act of kindness.

Stockholm Syndrome. The name derives from a 1973 hostage incident in Stockholm, Sweden. At the end of six days of captivity in a bank, several kidnap victims actually resisted rescue attempts, and afterwards refused to testify against their captors.

Also, in Mi5(Spooks) series 8, Lucas North suffers from an extreme case of Stockholm syndrome from his former Russian prison guard when he meets him again after a few years. To a lesser extent, its seen in ‘Beauty and the Beast ‘(Disney film) and ‘Phantom of the Opera’, where the main character has a mild form of Stockholm syndrome ?

I recently read a novel ‘ Screaming in the Silence’, by Lydia Kelly, where the female character is kidnapped by a gang for a ransom rather than by an obsessive stalker but falls for one of her captors even after he has raped her as he seems to show small acts of kindness. He does not seem like the typical villainous type. I couldn’t understand why she would have forgiven him after that act. It just got me very curious about the stories we read, and aren’t some of the heroines/heroes suffering from this psychological condition ? Why, don’t they get revenge for the suffering they have been through ?

Which novels have you read, would you consider that there is a mild/strong theme of Stockholm Syndrome ?

What are your thoughts about this whole concept?
Why do people start feeling sympathy and an emotional attachment for their abductors who initially physically and mentally harm them. It does not necessary need to be in a sexual sense but in platonic way as well ?

Where does one draw a line for what is a criminal act or an act where you have to use a defence mechanism to get out of dangerous situation ?I know often these symptoms occur under duress and it’s a common survival strategy for victims to stay alive. Sorry, I am not very good at explaining myself well. I hope you get my drift.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted explain abit why I started this thread.

message 2: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 241 comments Good post. I need to have a think about that.

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria | 135 comments Many thanks Gem
I really would love to hear your opinions because I have conflicting emotions about it after reading that novel (Lydia Kelly) and seeing this concept on TV. Its a controversial subject.

message 4: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
When I hear Stockholm Syndrome I think of Patricia Hearst.

I've read several but the only one that immediately comes to mind is Bodacious by Sharon Ervin . Although, the hero didn't actually kidnap her he still kept her. I'll see if I can find some more.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Hamilton (sharonhamilton) | 9 comments It is an interesting topic. The human brain is such an amazing organ, and it will do what it can to help the body survive. No amount of training can truly take away the dangers of being kept prisoner and what we all would do to survive.

I don't think it's heroic. I think it's survival. I don't think of any of those people who kidnap others, no matter what their leanings, what cause they are trying to serve, are heroes.

My heart goes out to those victims and what they had to do to survive. Difficult as it might be to watch, I'd like to, just for my own edification, even though it is quite a departure from where the threads have gone before here.

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "When I hear Stockholm Syndrome I think of Patricia Hearst."

That is what I think of too. I am intrigued by the books people will come up with. I can't think of any myself.

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria | 135 comments Oh yes the heiress, that was a classic case.

message 8: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 241 comments I agree with an earlier poster. I think that it isthe brains way of helping a person to survive. You will do all you possibly can and I think that's what has happened in these cases.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Feb 15, 2011 08:11PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9730 comments Mod
My opinion:

I think if I read a romance and I felt like the story came off as Stockholm Syndrome, then I would feel the author has not done a good job of making me believe in the romance.

It's a touchy subject, and I think each reader has to find their own comfort zone. Fiction is art. I think there are boundaries that are personal to each reader, and we have to find out what works for us and what doesn't. So far, I haven't read a book that was quite out of my comfort zone that touched even lightly on this subject.

It's hard to draw a line here with this subject. My final thoughts would be this: I don't think that I would judge a reader who enjoyed books out of my comfort zone, even if it came off as Stockholm to me, and I would hope that another reader would afford me the same privilege. So, long story short, I think an author who feels compelled to tackle this subject and does it well, more power to her/him.

I hope I answered your question and didn't tip toe around it, Maria.

message 10: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments I haven't read books with this theme, but 2 movies that come to mind are james Bond (the one with Pierce Brosnan and Sophie Marceau) and Knight and Day. The second is how I'd view Stockholm Syndrome in a positive light if it were done in a story. I mean, Tom Cruise kidnaps Cameron Diaz but he's not a bad guy, you know what I mean? It's circumstances that push him to do that.

Also, as for the very existence of stockholm Syndrome, I do think it's a survival tactic. This doesn't just happen in kidnappings, but look at domestic violence. The victim will make excuses for the tormentor, still love him/her, defend him/her. Sometimes you just have to have something to cling to, and the most 'secure' thing in this chaotic environment is the captor himself, he becomes a sort of anchor.

message 11: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 241 comments Funny, I don't think I have really read a book that deals with this so obviously. I have downloaded a freebie book so I'll let you know.

message 12: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 241 comments ooh and the ebook is calledStockholm Seduction

*rolls eyes* How original!

message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel Spencer (melspen) | 29 comments Gem H aka *Dhelirious* wrote: "ooh and the ebook is calledStockholm Seduction

*rolls eyes* How original!"

Bahahahahaha!!! you made me LOL for realz!

I think Stockholm Syndrom is a survival tool that our brains are wired with. If you're in a situation where you are treated with nothing but hostility and someone shows you any amount of civility or kindness, I think that becomes your focus and the rest is easier to over look. Mah that is my assumption anyway. It would certainly be a way to cope with the situation.

When I was younger I read a novel about a woman who is kidnapped by natives and falls in love with one of the warriors who killed her family and took her. I think that's my very fist look at dangerous men and the women who love them.

message 14: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 241 comments Melinda wrote: "Gem H aka *Dhelirious* wrote: "ooh and the ebook is calledStockholm Seduction

Bahahahahaha!!! you made me LOL for realz!
"

the stars aligned and it's free so i thought I would read it, all in the name of research of course!

message 15: by Mel (new)

Mel Spencer (melspen) | 29 comments Wow! Im just now loading the rest of the fever series onto my ereader, I'll have to grab it too!

message 16: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Gem H aka *Dhelirious* wrote: "ooh and the ebook is calledStockholm Seduction

It's an okay read. He has kidnapped her for political reasons, so you have to think that his heart is in the right place, but it is really too short with no development what so ever. I think it is actually a prequel to a book she may be doing later; at least it has that feel.

I gave it two stars because there is no character or plot development. Had it been longer, then it may have deserved more. I hate that it feels like she is just getting you geared up to purchase some upcoming unknown book, someday.

message 17: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 241 comments I'll let you know what I think of it. :)

message 18: by Maria (last edited Feb 17, 2011 06:14AM) (new)

Maria | 135 comments Your viewpoints are very interesting and thought provoking.

Danielle you made an interesting point, that it is the romance author who has to convince the reader by her style of writing by creating intriguing characters and these characters should help the reader decide whether it’s a love story or is it a case of stockholm syndrome.

Zee, that’s interesting view too that there are positive aspects of stockholm syndrome. I watched Knight and Day’, that’s a good analogy.

When one read historical novels, in certain circumstances, the captors (possible hero) seemed to be let off with worse things in the way they treat the captives (heroine) because that was the way society was then, women were supposedly be protected by the man (via a marriage) and basically agree to whatever the man demanded whether they liked it or not. Women had few rights in those days regarding property and inheritance etc. It was hard to be a single independent woman then. We seem to accept the man with all his faults in those circumstances.

When I read this modern day story, the woman needed the man to help her survive a kidnap ordeal. Also, to some extent he was her protector to safeguard from the more villainous characters as well as being concerned about her well-being. He needed her silence as he had his own agenda with his accomplices. He seemed to be more kind with her although she was quite feisty did fight for herself physically/psychologically and she also challenged him with his motives and conscience. The relationship between captor and captive was almost symbiotic. What bothered me was, that he had this good side that did not fit in as a manipulative villainous character. Then, he was provoked and ‘snapped’ into frightening side and she kind of tolerated it and then later on in the story she goes off to the lake and boating with him. I wondered, ‘why the hell she going with him, after what he did and why they are talking normally?’ ‘Why doesn’t she go on hunger strike or something?’ I hope you get my eccentric drift. lol.

At first read, I thought it was a ‘stockhlom syndrome’ case, I believed he was definitely the villain but when I read the story again, I kind of changed my mind, as a reader, I started to kind of like him and could see him in a better light. I see Zee’s point in this case, perhaps, the character was pushed to the edge because of the circumstances ( although I don’t condone acts of violence). Also, I kind of understood why she forgave him and was prepared to move past that bad incident and move on in life. I still wasn't sure if she trusted him or not. It was one of those stories where the characters could be liked/forgiven or hated/unforgiven by the reader.

In any case, here is the link to the novel I was reading (its a free read and not very long and there is a some character devleopment, all the 27 chapters are there). its by Lydia Kelly called 'Screaming in the Silence. She has published it in Amazon, but the ending is different to the one I read on the link.

http://www.booksie.com/erotica/all/th...

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Great post and very thought provoking.
I agree with those who said that it is a both a psychological defense mechanism and can also be used as a physical means of survival - a captor might be less likely to kill a hostage who has started to identify with him and his cause.

Books that come to mind right now are some of Sandra Brown's earlier books such asHawk O'Toole's Hostage and Judith McNaught's Perfect.

message 20: by Katherine (last edited May 13, 2011 05:00PM) (new)

Katherine (katdylan) Right now what comes to my mind is only
Comfort Food by Kitty Thomas .

Wow, that book is very twisted.
I loved.

message 21: by Nanna -DD- (last edited May 13, 2011 01:57AM) (new)

Nanna -DD- Yeah Comfort Food is a disturbing but good read !

you should read http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64...

It's a really great book that sticks with you. It's supposed to be an YA book, but the psychology in it makes it very interesting for adults as well. I though several times that Gemma should just stop fighting and give in to Ty. - very emotional.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 152 comments I have hear good things about Comfort Food too but never read it.

I can think of one book that I read and it scared me away from the genre for many years. I am only slowing dipping my toe back into that pond.
It's quite an 'old' book and considered as a 'classic' but I was too young when I read it to appreciate it. I think there is still a debate if the author Pauline Réage was a woman or a man.

In any case, my suggestion is The Story of O

message 23: by Katherine (last edited May 15, 2011 04:59PM) (new)

Katherine (katdylan) Valerie wrote: "I have hear good things about Comfort Food too but never read it.

I can think of one book that I read and it scared me away from the genre for many years. I am only slowing dipping my toe back in..."

I've read this book too. It was on my early teens, so in the time I was a little shocked. But I can say that this was the book that made me look for other BDSM histories.

I cannot say IMO that The Story of O is a Stockholm case, since she already knew it the guy, and already liked him.
I won't say however, that some parts of it were not really disturbing. In my POV, a lot of things were forced on O, but in some point she could had made a decision... And she chosen to carry on, but I just can't see it as the Syndrome of Stockholm.

And from what I read about Pauline Réage, she was a real woman. Says the story that she lived in French, and had a boyfriend who said women couldn't write erotica, and taking the dare, she wrote The Story of O.

I haven't read Return to the Chateau yet, but I'm kinda curious to know what happened after ;)

message 24: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 151 comments I read Story of O years ago, and though it was a classic BDSM story I wouldn't say that it was a case of Stockholm syndrome either. IIRC she wasn't held captive by (what was his name....didn't she just call him Sir??) Anyway I liked the story but I never read Return to the Chateau either.

message 25: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katdylan) I guess was Rene?? LOL Don't really remember too ;P
I guess Sir, was for Stephen. Rene was a idiot, bleh.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 152 comments Many apologies Dyllan. I read it close to 19 years ago and since it was my first BDSM book, I could not understand why she would surrender her will, her sense of self-worth and future to someone else...even unto death. If I were to read it again now, I might appreciate it for what it is.

You are right that it is not a good example of the Stockholm Syndrome concept...certain aspects of the story infuriated me at the time and my memory and opinion of the book may be faulty with the passing of years.
After that I went on reading Anne Rice's sleeping beauty (after her vampire books) and made my peace a bit with my inner feminist.

Please, carry on.

message 27: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katdylan) No need to apologies, Valerie. At first sight, this book scares a lot. After The Story of O, I read a lot of BDSM, but not even half can be compared with it.

I felt that newer BDSM books are way fanciful. And compared to Pauline Reage, those writers are little kittens. Lol.

That's why I liked so much of Comfort Food. It's just SO wrong, but inside the pages of a book, I can see no limitations, no boundaries. With mere words, we can see rules being break, and still like them, without feeling bad for it. ;)

message 28: by Athena (last edited Jun 22, 2011 09:03AM) (new)

Athena (athytee) | 28 comments This thread is win. Everyone has such insightful responses. I honestly don't know if I'd be able to put together my opinion as well as some of you. I'll try...

I agree with whoever said that if the captor-romance plot comes off being even a little Stockholm-ish I don't believe they've proved the romance/bond to reader as well as they could have. On the other hand, if they were GOING for a Stockholm-ish situation, they prolly should have turned down the romance from the captor.

This is hard to put into words! LOL.

...I'm going to have to read this Comfort Food book you all have been mentioning...

I haven't yet read The Story of O but I've heard much about it. I have no aversion to BDSM - but I just don't see why this convo has turned to it... I thought we were discussing Stockholm Syndrome? Two completely separate beasts, IMHO.

message 29: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katdylan) Athena wrote: "This thread is win. Everyone has such insightful responses. I honestly don't know if I'd be able to put together my opinion as well as some of you. I'll try...

I agree with whoever said that if ..."

Athena, The Story of O has a little twist in the beginning, that you may think is a bit Stockholm-ish. I don't see it that way.

About Comfort Food. One of my fave books ever. I know when I get old, I'll still remember this.

These days I read The Toy by Claire Thompson. That's one VERY Stockholm-ish book. Which reminds me The Frog: A Tale of Sexual Torture and Degradation.
I think CT tried to be shocking. The Frog is a bit harder than The Toy. However, if you are looking at the Stockholm, you'll find on both.

message 30: by Maria (last edited Jun 25, 2011 01:26PM) (new)

Maria | 135 comments Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Its distinguishing between the fine line of captor and captive relationship whether there is an emotional bond and a mutual respect or not towards each other at the end of the situation or circumstances to which people are forced into a hostage/captive/hostage taker or kidnaper situation. Each reader will have their own opinion. Its hard, I read one book and my friend read the same book but we had totally different opinions of the hero.

I have to read ‘Comfort Food’. It sounds like an interesting plot with a more psychological overtones. I don’t believe that Story of O is a Stockhlom Syndrome really, its BDSM. I couldn't get into it really. Stolen sounds very interesting too

Has anyone read the book ‘ Taken with the Enemy’ by Tia Fanning? If so, what did you gals think of it?It has elements of Stockholm Syndrome but its got a bit of romance, I think. It has an interesting plot as well. I can’t wait to read this one as well.

message 31: by Maria (new)

Maria | 135 comments Taken with the Enemy by Tia Fanning
Sorry forgot to post the link.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9730 comments Mod
I'm interested in reading Taken by the Enemy. I actually have the book. Need to read it soon. To me, an emotional bond that is mutual is crucial for me to be able to look at this type of scenario as a real romance versus Stockholm Syndrome.

message 33: by Bekah (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 93 comments This is a very interesting topic. I think it should be mentioned that domestic violence and stockholm syndrome are very different animals, but some elements of how the brain are working are similar. For an abused woman, you're talking about an established relationship most times and a love that has grown over time. But, in my opinion what is similar is HOPE. I think that for the kidnapped victim/taken victim and the abused person, there is the ever eternal hope. Hope that he will change, hope that there is goodness somewhere in there. How else can you endure unless you have hope in those situations? And hope is an everlasting condition. Its difficult for an average person to identify with a person who would kidnap or abuse another human being, but we can all hope and see that there is a possibility for the person to have a piece of humanity inside of them, there must be a piece of humanity left and it's the hope that we can draw it out or see it or find it and foster it that sort of lends itself to stockholm syndrome. That's just my take on it.

But I've loved everyone's thoughts its such a fascinating topic!

message 34: by Maria (new)

Maria | 135 comments Ohh Danielle,
Please do give an indepth account of what you thought of it. It had mixed reviews so I don't want to be disappointed as the concept of the story sounds very intriguing and unusual.I can't get it the UK yet and i don't have kindle reader.

Maria, will do.

Bekah, very good point.

message 36: by Maria (new)

Maria | 135 comments I found two other books with themes similar to this subject matter. I haven't read any of them but sound interesting. I just thought I would add them to the list. They are on the 'kidnapped' list genres though

Held
Captive in the Dark This one might be abit heavy reading.

P.S

Read stolen by Lucy Christopher.
I thought it was excellent story. Its not graphic or anything, more psychological. I really felt for the captor and the captive I will write a review when I get my act together.

I really want to read Stolen, Maria.

message 38: by Maria (last edited Nov 14, 2011 10:28AM) (new)

Maria | 135 comments Hi Danielle,
You will not be disappointed, its a long read but its very descriptive scenically as well. This story really touched my heart especially the hero and the heroine (you just wanted to hug them both and you want them to hug each other too). Also, the author is really clever, she messes with your head, you end up really conflicted.

BTW, if you get time, could you read 'Screaming in Silence' by Lydia Kelly. I think you'll like this one, despite the controversial subject matter. The cover is misleading
.Screaming in the Silence

Its not erotica or contemporary romance, but romance in a dangerous/survival situation. I just want your view on the hero. The way I see it, if you can forgive the brutish heroes in the historical setting I.e Duke of Kylemore), you could forgive this one in a modern setting.

message 39: by Julie (last edited Dec 27, 2011 07:36PM) (new)

Julie (musicaficta) The Sheik by E.M. Hull is considered the first modern romance novel and the basis of the self-same movie starring Rudolph Valentino. It's fascinating, because in the 1920s, society had no name for 'Stockholm Syndrome' nor did psychology particularly identify it, but Hull does a decent job of weaving romance and forced dependence, yet makes the 'hero' likeable. (Heck, he's likeable enough women of the time swooned over his movie character!)

message 40: by *Carissmatik* (new)

*Carissmatik* (carissmatik) | 1 comments Hello, I just joined this group and as it happens I just read a new book that has an element of Stockholm syndrome to it. It isn't the first one I've read by any means but it was dark and twisted and somehow (I really don't know why) I always end up rooting for the hero/heroine to be together. Anyway these are some of the books I read that have that Stockholm syndrome element. To say they are not for the faint of heart is an understatement (most are truly disturbing):

The End of me by Tara Brown
Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts
Consequences by Aleatha Romig
Comfort Food by Kitty Thomas

message 41: by Atalyonet (new)

Atalyonet | 14 comments Hi love that theme, but not the disturbing kind - but more the lovie-dovie kind (HEA etc.)... let me know if you're interested, and I will suggest some good titles.

Paganalexandria  | 354 comments Atalyonet wrote: "Hi love that theme, but not the disturbing kind - but more the lovie-dovie kind (HEA etc.)... let me know if you're interested, and I will suggest some good titles."

I have read the popular books in this genre by Kitty Thomas, Aleatha Roning, and C.J. Roberts but really intrigued to find other good ones. Would love to have recs.

message 43: by Atalyonet (new)

Atalyonet | 14 comments ok, here goes:

Contemporary:
Perfect (Second Opportunities #2) by Judith McNaught
Fat Tuesday by Sandra Brown
Lethal by Sandra Brown
Standing Still by Kelly Simmons
Reckless Angel by Maggie Shayne
Unlawful Contact (I-Team, #3) by Pamela Clare
Snatched by Pamela Burford
Wild Encounter by Nikki Logan

Western:

Relentless by Patricia Potter
The Hostage (Great Chicago Fire Trilogy #1) by Susan Wiggs

Scotish:

Beloved Impostor (Beloved Trilogy, #1) by Patricia Potter
Beloved Stranger (Beloved Trilogy, #2) by Patricia Potter
Beloved Warrior (Beloved Trilogy, #3) by Patricia Potter
The Diamond King (Scottish Trilogy, #3) by Patricia Potter
Beware a Scot's Revenge (School for Heiresses, #3) by Sabrina Jeffries
The Perfect Princess by Elizabeth Thornton
The Devil Wears Plaid by Teresa Medeiros

message 44: by Mochaspresso (last edited Jun 10, 2013 04:32PM) (new)

Mochaspresso  | 17 comments I didn't care for this series that much but

Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #1) by C.J. Roberts and Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #2) by C.J. Roberts immediately come to mind. The main characters (captive/captor) develop feelings for one another and she speculates that she is possibly suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. It's a very dark read, though. I think I was even mildly traumatized by it.

I wonder if there is a term for people who develop feelings for each other due to a shared trauma? For example, in
On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves , the two main characters are stranded on a deserted island for years and a romantic relationship develops between them.

I guess the same could also apply to Katniss and Peeta in The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins .

message 45: by Cherrie (new)

Cherrie (self-describedkindleaddict) | 114 comments Mochaspresso - I thought I was the only person who was traumatized by Captive in the Dark and Seduced in the Dark. I'm no prude but those books were definitely disturbing IMHO. I could never get past the thought of the kidnapped boys and focus on the rest if the story.
I thought Comfort Food was a fantastic book that showed Stockholm Syndrome.

message 46: by Kryptonite (new)

message 47: by Atalyonet (new)

Atalyonet | 14 comments I forgot Crow's Row (Crow's Row, #1) by Julie Hockley

message 48: by Atalyonet (new)

Atalyonet | 14 comments just read two good ones:

Wrong Place, Wrong Time by Tilia Klebenov Jacobs
Burn by Linda Howard

Val ⚓️ Shameless Handmaiden ⚓️ (val-shameless) Great thread idea. I don't know how to do book links (help), but Catherine Coulter's Season of the Sun is an oldie but goodie.

Also, I second CJ Roberts series. It might be too dark for some though.

« previous 1