Audiobooks discussion

Book Talk > books to fall asleep by

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by binter (new)

binter | 228 comments Hello all, very pleased to have found you all. This is my first post. I'm looking for recommendations of books to fall asleep by. My mp3 player has a sleep time - a feature I love -so I set it for a 30/45 min cycle and like to drift off.

So far, I've had very good results with a few meditation podcasts. PG Wodehouse's Wooster & Jeeves books have been ideal - just the right amount of charming but not laugh-out-loud funny, Frederick Davidson's British accent...I'm out like a light.

On the flipside, I learned an important lesson, still wide awake at 3am listening to a too-interesting book.I noticed someone mentioned using previously listened too books or dry, long non-fiction books.

Any recommendations for other books to fall asleep by?

message 2: by Carrie ♠ (new)

Carrie ♠ (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 49 comments Glad to have you here, Alief.

I try to listen to books I have listened to before and am pretty familiar with so I don't miss it, since I don't have a "sleep" cycle with mine. I have listened to the first Percy Jackson series The Lightning Thief several times before, so that's the one I use. If you enjoy a British accent, then I would recommend Jim Dale, who narrates the Harry Potter series. It might be something you are already familiar with the plot and help so you don't find yourself so engaged that you stay up too late. :)

message 3: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3935 comments Welcome, Alief!

Back in the old days, I used to fall asleep with cassettes, which were a maximum of 30 - 45 minutes per side. Fortunately, I've not done so with an mp3 player, although I have had them turn on after being jostled a few times, finding myself as much as a couple of hours ahead of where I knew I'd left off!

message 4: by Vic (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 50 comments I only fall asleep to books I've listened to before. Lately I've been falling asleep to Kelley Armstrong, Anne Bishop, J.D. Robb, or Patricia Briggs.

message 5: by Sheila (last edited Feb 15, 2011 10:52AM) (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) I've tried the falling asleep on a book thing but I think I am too keyed up at missing part of the story that I force myself to stay awake. Sleepy time is when I turn off the audiobooks and play music instead. I usually make a playlist that lasts about 45 minutes so it quits playing and hopefully I'm asleep by then. I just got some new headphones yesterday by Maxell that are really flat on the ears so there is no big lump to lay on. (Cheapies from Walmart).

message 6: by Leeri (new)

Leeri | 3 comments I set the sleep timer and listen as I fall asleep. I actually like backing up and listening to part of the story again, it makes the books last longer.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1772 comments I always listen to audiobooks I have already read because otherwise I can't remember where I left off. I second the Jim Dale HP series on audio - I own them and listen to them quite often at night.

message 8: by binter (new)

binter | 228 comments Thanks for the tips, audiophiles. I'll definitely make use of books I've listened to before.

I do enjoy a British accent. (and I always get a chuckle about the depths of passion revealed when great "Who is the best Harry Potter narrator - Jim Dale or Stephen Fry" debate rages)

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (Munchkinland_Farm) | 28 comments It seems that all audiobooks put me to sleep - no matter how interesting! I have to listen to books when I'm upright.

message 10: by Alice (last edited Mar 06, 2011 04:30PM) (new)

Alice (TheGoodQueen) | 57 comments Over the years I've developed a kinda Bedtime Book Criteria.

1-Must be a book I've read several times so I know I won't miss anything.

2-I like the narration to be somewhat even. Meaning that the narrator/s don't jump an octive higher or louder in intense scenes & wake me up.

3-I set the volume loud enough that there is no need to strain to hear it. But it can't be so loud that it holds my attention. Somewhere in between is a setting that I can choose to listen.

Sooo...
I listen on my iPod dock with speakers or shelf stereo, etc. I'm not one that can use headphones or earbuds at night.

Some of my regulars are Dark Melody, Dark Peril, & Dark Hunger by Christine Feehan. Also Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay

The important thing is that like all Book Lovers I never go to bed alone. Plus I get to sleep with some pretty interesting people

message 11: by Mejix (new)

Mejix | 121 comments For the last couple of years I've gone to sleep with The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century by Alex Ross. The choice was somewhat arbitrary. This is one of the few that I own- I get my audiobooks from the library- and it doesnt have any musical introduction or ending. I do have now the option of Jeremy Irons reading Brideshead Revisited so that might change.

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen McIntosh | 1 comments I also go to sleep listening to books I've read/listened to before. Edward Petherbridge and Ian Carmichael are good British narrators.

message 13: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 476 comments Yep. A new book will keep me awake to find out what happens.
It has to be an old book where I KNOW what happens, I just like the people and the narrator. My current favorites are almost everything written by Lois Bujold and narrated by Grover Gardener. CDs are good because they do turn off after 80 minutes--and my Ipod doesn't have a sleeptimer.

message 14: by Fictitious1 (new)

Fictitious1 | 8 comments I really like to relive the classics when I go to sleep. All the books I know I read at school or university but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. Over January, I worked my way through several Dickens' novels.
I changed libraries because the city library's app didn't have a sleep timer. I just love that Audible has an End of Chapter sleep function - brilliant! I also try to hit bookmark when I'm feeling really drowsy.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I must be odd. I'm not a re-reader, so I regularly fall asleep to the dulcet tones of a narrator I have never heard before, narrating a book I have never read before. I set the sleep timer to 60 minutes, and usually manage to stay awake for 45.

message 16: by J. (last edited Aug 09, 2013 08:59AM) (new)

J. | 1140 comments I love audiobooks and wish I could do this, but when my head touches a pillow at the end of the day I'm out. Drives my wife nuts because it takes her a while to wind down.

I guess I would hear "THIS IS AUDIBLE" and then nothing.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I always laugh when I hear "This is Audible". I always want to yell back, "Except when it's inaudible"

message 18: by J. (new)

J. | 1140 comments Lol. I've never heard it like that, but now I'll never be able to not hear it like that.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

My mind is warped beyond all possibility of recovery.

message 20: by Alice (new)

Alice (TheGoodQueen) | 57 comments I too plug into an already read & I choose by tone of narration as well as content. Some most frequently used are:
An Ice Cold Grave (Harper Connelly Series #3) by Charlaine HarrisCharlaine Harris
Whodunnit? Murder in Mystery Manor (Unabridged) by Anthony E. ZuikerAnthony E. Zuiker
The 2nd Deadly Sin by Lawrence SandersLawrence Sanders (GR lists the cassett audio but mine is MP3 from at Audible)

message 21: by Tomerobber (last edited Aug 09, 2013 04:50PM) (new)

Tomerobber | 200 comments Hmmmmm . . . can we learn while sleeping? ;-)

If I set the timer and fall asleep before the end . . . I just go back and replay it if it's a book I've not read before . . . but if I just want to listen to provide white noise . . . my personal preference is

The Case of the Missing Servant by Tarquin Hall narrated by Sam Dastor

or any of the Vish Puri series of mysteries . . .

actually . . . most anything narrated by Sam Dastor does it for me . . . LOVE his voice!

message 22: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 399 comments Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * wrote: "I always listen to audiobooks I have already read because otherwise I can't remember where I left off. I second the Jim Dale HP series on audio - I own them and listen to them quite often at night."

I've been listening to those lately, too. I've already read them several times, so it doesn't bother me a bit to fall asleep in the middle, because I won't suddenly wake up and hear something as a spoiler and I'm not anxious about what's going to happen because I already know. Although I'll confess, the last few chapters of Prisoner of Azkaban did keep me awake just because I was so into the story!

message 23: by Lára (last edited Aug 15, 2013 11:12AM) (new)

Lára  Arnarsdóttir Neil Gaiman´s The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a great bed time story. I´ve fallen asleep couple of times listening to it.

Mr. Gaiman has a great voice to lull you to sleep. Well, at least I always fall asleep when he´s reading

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 103 comments Lately I've been falling asleep to the Brother Cadfael series, starting with A Morbid Taste for Bones. They are gentle mysteries. They work great. I'm asleep in under ten minutes usually.

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandaonmaui) "Tropic of Cancer" by Henry Miller, and "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein, both put me to sleep. I also like Agatha Christie books I've listened to before as sleep aides. Terry Pratchett audiobooks aren't so good for this, unless you're super tired already.

message 26: by Denise (new)

Denise (Drams5) | 179 comments I think the very best narrator for lulling me to sleep is Amy Tan. Her voice is so quiet and calm. Try listening to an audible sample of The Bonesetter's Daughter or Saving Fish From Drowning. Sweet Dreams!

message 27: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Britton | 2 comments Even though I love books by Charles Dickens, I find them easy to snooze by.

message 28: by Ray (new)

Ray Bennett | 1 comments Has anyone ever tried listening to a motivational audiobook while sleeping? How about an audiobook with hypnotherapy?

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin | 1190 comments I generally find male voices easier to fall asleep to, and it is best to have something with an even tone. I never leave it on a timer. I put the sound as low as I can and still hear it and at some point I realize I am dozing off, or I've missed something and then I turn it off. I usually don't have to go back very far the next day.

message 30: by Penelope (new)

Penelope | 75 comments I listen to a book every night, it can't have unpleasant imagery or different pitched voices. I find Robertson Dean's non fiction books to be perfect, such as 'Chatter', as well as books on economics such as the one on Keynes narrated by Gildart Jackson. There are quite a few nonfiction books that are slightly interesting, but not riveting. Calvin Coolidge is a good topic too. If Roberson Dean would narrate a book about Coolidge my dreams would come true.

message 31: by Karan (new)

Karan | 16 comments Is it just me or do listening to audiobooks that are read by old guys with deep voices put me right to sleep?

At first everything they say resonates with me and gives me euphoria but then their voice becomes like a lullaby haha.

But hey Binter, i got an article that speaks of 3 great books to have for your bedtime routine hopefully youll find some value in it:)

http://www.bestaudiobooks.co/single-p...

message 32: by Peg (last edited Feb 09, 2017 07:41PM) (new)

Peg | 29 comments Everytime I see this thread I think surely someone is going to suggest Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach and read by Samuel L Jackson. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lightning Thief (other topics)
The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century (other topics)
Brideshead Revisited: The Sacred and Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder (other topics)
An Ice Cold Grave (other topics)
Whodunnit? Murder in Mystery Manor (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anne Bishop (other topics)
J.D. Robb (other topics)
Patricia Briggs (other topics)
Kelley Armstrong (other topics)
Charlaine Harris (other topics)
More...