BGGWW Books discussion

Future Reads? > Magazines?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (nyriv) | 65 comments Mod
I'm curious if anyone subscribes or buys Analog, Asimov or similar SciFi/Fantasy magazines? I've actually just rediscovered the big two and have subscribed to them. They tend to be interesting reading without the agonizing over whether or not you'll truly love the story enough to pay big bucks and invest hours into them...

message 2: by David (last edited Feb 18, 2011 02:07AM) (new)

David Lutes (gelatinousgoo) | 51 comments Mod
Years ago, my high school/undergrad years in the late '80s and early '90s, I received Analog, Ellery Queen, and one other I can't remember (Hitchcock themed). I barely remember them, but I remember really enjoying them. It was nice to feel in touch with what was going on in sci-fi and mystery. When it comes to mystery I only liked Agatha Christie or Sherlock Holmes mystery (as opposed to more crime drama like today's CSI or similar TV shows). So, it has been years, but at the time I really looked forward to when they would arrive. I know my local Borders (whichever will be closing soon) carries Analog and maybe another in that ilk. I might go down and get one.

message 3: by Wes (new)

Wes | 20 comments I am subscribed to Asimov's; have been for about six months.

I am finding the stories to be of mixed quality so far. Some are good, others just aren't worth it. Getting this subscription was kind of an experiment for me, and so far I think I prefer what I'd been doing before: getting yearly anthologies rather than monthly magazines.