Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do You Ever Shop at Dollar Stores?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (last edited Feb 14, 2011 09:54PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I admit that I didn't for a long time, because I always thought that they only carried expired products and off-brand junk.

Then my sister-in-law told me she found L'oreal eyeliners and eyeshadows there, so I went and checked them out. Not only did I find the limited edition $10 eyeliners she spoke of, but also I found my favorite pen ever which had been discontinued, the Pentel Clarius gel pen (bold pt.) which had been $9 at Staples. I bought all of them.

I never buy dairy or meat there though. That's just a bit too risky for me.

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17335 comments Mod
I do. I love. And I like thrift stores, consignment stores, and flea markets.

message 3: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments It's hard to find a good thrift store around here. I know of a good one that has a great book section, but the really good ones are rare (and on the expensive side).

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Do you have flea markets? I prefer those because old people sell their (awesome) stuff there.

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments I don't shop there.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

There is nothing good to be purchaced from the Dollar shops here. We call them $2 Shops. Everything is more expensive in Australia.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Feb 14, 2011 11:19PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 24265 comments Mod
Extremely rarely. In unaspirational moments I've bought very cheap gift bags there, and some dollar stores (the junkier ones) have one-of-a-kind items like mugs with custom logos. Like, if the Jerauld County Republican Party ordered mugs and could only give away 40, the other 60 will find their way to the dollar store, or a flea market, or ebay, and people who enjoy crazy shit like that will buy one for chuckles.

It is kind of fun traipsing through the junky ones, it's like being on a low-rent treasure hunt.

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) I hit the Dollar Tree about once a month and look through the bin of books. That's where I got my hardcover of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments the dollar store used to have everything for $1. then it got to be everything was a multiple of $1 and now things are just whatever price they are but cheaper than most places. i bought a pair of pink socks there last year

message 10: by Brittomart (last edited Feb 15, 2011 05:32AM) (new)

Brittomart Unmm, yes? Dollar Tree not so much, but Dollar General, definitely.

I WISH we had a Dollar General near campus.

message 11: by Jammies (new)

Jammies *is enjoying the mental picture of Kevin in pink socks*

I used to look at the makeup and candle aisles. Like LG says, it's a low-rent treasure hunt. But all of the ones near me have closed. :(

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Extremely rarely. In unaspirational moments I've bought very cheap gift bags there, and some dollar stores (the junkier ones) have one-of-a-kind items like mugs with custom logos. Like, if the Je..."

Does this mean in moments you're not breathing?

message 13: by Jammies (last edited Feb 15, 2011 06:16AM) (new)

Jammies No, Sally, those would be unrespirational moments.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Depends on what I'm looking for. Cheap decorations or gift bags ok, but nothing that I want to have good quality.

We use to have a Dollar General right across the street where I work. Things would get slow and we would walk across and shop. Feckers moved to another location.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

I know. Sadly, it seemed funny at first, but as I was swyping it in I realized it wasn't, and by then I was too far in to turn back.

message 16: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Swyper, no swyping!

Swyper, no swyping!

Swyper, no swyping!

message 17: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Aww man!

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Jammies wrote: "*is enjoying the mental picture of Kevin in pink socks*

I used to look at the makeup and candle aisles. Like LG says, it's a low-rent treasure hunt. But all of the ones near me have closed. :("

i told the boys on the baseball team i coach that if they won a certain game i'd wear pink socks for the rest of the season. they did and i did. they thought it was a hoot

message 19: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Awesome, Coach Kevin!

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments thanks. i love coaching. it is supposed to be fun for kids. here are the socks. (long video but FF to the 5:51 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oneA37...

message 21: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Cute, Kevin. I'd like that #11 on my team -- good speed, natural lefty and a sweet inside-out swing.

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments #5 on our team has a brother that plays on the atlanta braves. brandon beachy. he's a pitcher on the big club. the family has bennie who is 8 in rookie league, a brother who is a high school pitching stud, two brothers who play in college and two sisters who are star softball players and then one in MLB. the family smells like a baseball

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael #10 on the other team is a big kid. I love the picture at 5:05 of the kid making the throw from his knees. Do you know who's singing the first song?

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 53 comments I love Big Lots. I use Mentadent toothpaste & it's been discontinued, so i go there looking for it. When i find it i get as much as i have the money for. Also my Colgate toothbrush the Navigator, i think i may have enough of those for a while. I go at least every other week, you never know what you might find.

Dollar General is good for shipping envelopes, glue, pencils, paper & stuff like that. Not much of anything else.

message 25: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Sally wrote: "Do you have flea markets? I prefer those because old people sell their (awesome) stuff there."

We do. There's one at Vet's Stadium every month, and of course there's the Rose Bowl one in Pasadena, but the crowds! I really have to be in the mood which is rare.

message 26: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Lori wrote: "I love Big Lots. I use Mentadent toothpaste & it's been discontinued, so i go there looking for it. When i find it i get as much as i have the money for. Also my Colgate toothbrush the Navigator, i..."

The Big Lots here suck. I can get everything they carry cheaper at regular stores with coupons.

Dollar Tree is great for feeding my nail polish obsession. Not only do they carry Sally Hansen and Revlon but they package them in 2-packs so you get 2 for a buck.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't really go for dollar stores unless I have gag gifts to buy or maybe maybe to decorate for a party. I have found some good stuff in Big Lots but haven't been in one in a long time.

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments michael - dr. john

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

Is Big Lots considered a dollar store? Seems like they sell furniture, and it is usually many dollars.

message 30: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments No, hardly anything is a dollar at Big Lots.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Someone else mentioned Big Lots so I went along with it. Sorry!

message 32: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Well, it does sort of belong in the same category, you know, discount clearance store.

message 33: by Sally, la reina (new)

*sprinkles forgiveness dust*

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) *gets dustbuster to clean it up*