Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do You Ever Loan Your Cell Phone to Strangers?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I can't even believe people ask me. And I would never ask to borrow one from someone I don't know. If it's an emergency I'll make the call for them.

Maybe I've become a hardass from living in the city so long.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have loaned my phone to strangers. It happens occasionally when there are problems on the trains. It hasn't happened recently, most people have their own now.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yes, but i stay close. i will also ask if i can call someone for them.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I would do what Bun says in #3, but I so seldom have my phone out that I never get asked.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I would definitely offer in an emergency -- but have never been asked that I recall.

message 6: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Larry, may I borrow your phone?

To answer the OQ, I've never had anyone ask, but I would probably offer to call someone for them. I have in the past borrowed a cell phone from a stranger, but that was a really extreme situation and she offered.

message 7: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I've never been asked!

One time a friend of mine got locked out on her balcony and she had to holler down to someone to please call a neighbor who had a key. hahahah!

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Anything for you, Jammies.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Pay phones are close to extinct in airport terminals.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Larry wrote: "Pay phones are close to extinct in airport terminals."

They probably find it hard to breed there with all the people around.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments BunWat wrote: "I was asked one night when I was out walking the dogs, by a guy who wanted to call a cab."

You just happened to have the number of a cab company handy?

message 12: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I must look friendly or something.

Yeah I definitely don't.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Never had anyone ask to borrow my phone.

I have borrowed one, but it was offered I didn't ask. I had gotten stranded on the side of the road and decided to walk to town I was headed to. A man working on the railroad offered for me to use his phone.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Typical helpful railroader.

message 15: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Aynge wrote: "I can't even believe people ask me. And I would never ask to borrow one from someone I don't know. If it's an emergency I'll make the call for them.

Maybe I've become a hardass from living in th..."

I'm with you. Anyone with the cajones to even ask needs to get a job, a life, and a clue.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Anyone who asks on the streets of Baltimore is testing to see if you'll hand over your phone.

I made friends with a nice Australian woman on a plane a couple of years ago - a Tahs fan, Gail, and it was whatever the last year was that they made the semifinals because she was eager for news - and she told me she was on her way to visit her pregnant daughter. Then the pregnant daughter wasn't there to pick her up, and she worried she might have gone into labor, so I gave her my phone to call and check.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 53 comments Never been ask, but most of the time it's locked in my car.

message 18: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Yeah, I guess it has everything to do with where you live. I mean, I carry mace on my keychain. I haven't been mugged but I fully expect to be one day. I'll give a homeless person food but never money.

If I'm sitting in an airport lounge next to a granny who has to call her ride, then yeah, I'd probably hand my phone over. But in this big city full of shady types I'm usually suspicious of almost everybody.

message 19: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Aynge wrote: "Yeah, I guess it has everything to do with where you live. I mean, I carry mace on my keychain. I haven't been mugged but I fully expect to be one day. "

It's happened to me twice. It's no fun.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments I love my small town. My husband was fixing his truck the other day that got broke down and had to leave it at a convince store. We had three cars stop on their way out to ask if he needed any help.

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments nobody has ever asked if they could borrow my phone, but i have used other people's phones. just walked to their door, rang their bell and asked if i could use the phone.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "Anyone who asks on the streets of Baltimore is testing to see if you'll hand over your phone.

I made friends with a nice Australian woman on a plane a couple of years ago - a Tahs fan, Gail, and i..."

*Hugs* Pi for being so nice to a Tahs fans. :)

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "*Hugs* Pi for being so nice to a Tahs fans. :) "

Well, first you make friends, then you taunt their team. There's an order to these things.

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Kind of like with RA, and his semi pro football team. :-)

message 25: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Most certainly not - bloody cheek! I find it hard to believe people have the audacity to ask!

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Bloody cheek indeed.

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I had a bloody cheek once.

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Gee thanks Bun.

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
This is the weirdest question. I have never ever ever been asked that. It is as intimate as someone asking to borrow my maxi pad for a while.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments BunWat wrote: "I'm really not that attached to my cell phone."

So it's wireless?