readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Humorous Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Some novels I have especially liked in the past are: The Hunger Games series, The Magicians, Hell, The Child Thief, and The Zamonia series.

Suggestions?

message 2: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! | 51 comments I didn't find the first two in your list humorous and I haven't read the rest...have you ever read Pratchett? He may not be dark enough if Collins and Grossman are your kind of hah-hah. Huh. Or do you mean you liked those and now want to read something humorous?

message 3: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments yeah I'm confused I don't think of those as humorous.

as far as humor goes I like terry pratchett, douglas adams and tim scott.

message 4: by Joshua (new)

Joshua I like humor, and I like Sci/Fi Fantasy. Either/or or a combo is fantastic. :P

message 5: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Howard (ajhoward) | 1 comments This is super obvious, but I'll go ahead and say it. Whenever I think sci-fi and humor, i think Douglas Adams. Also obvious, but Vonnegut can be funny, maybe not in a haha funny way.

message 6: by C. (new)

C. (placematsgalore) | 1 comments Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susannah Clarke is very funny in an Oscar Wilde/Jane Austen kind of way. And also brilliant fantasy.

message 7: by Mariel (last edited Feb 15, 2011 02:49AM) (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) Martin Millar might be your thing if you like fantasy with a bit more real-life edge. Lonely Werewolf Girl and The Good Fairies of New York are two good ones with spirit and fighting.

Patrick Rothfuss for more high fantasy (but still darkly funny). The Name of the Wind is out and the second one should be released next month.

message 8: by Kathrina (new)

Kathrina | 50 comments Have you tried Robert Rankin?

message 9: by Deb (last edited Feb 15, 2011 08:04AM) (new)

Deb (debs913) Jim Butcher's Dresden Files Jim Butcher

Percy and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan Rick Riordan

Anything by Christopher Moore Christopher Moore

Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez A. Lee Martinez

Timothy Zahn's Quadrail seriesTimothy Zahn

message 10: by Cassy (last edited Feb 15, 2011 08:18AM) (new)

Cassy (cassybooks) | 4 comments In addition to Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, you should try Piers Anthony. He is definitely cheeky and offers a million puns. When I think of funny sci-fi/fantasy, those are my top three.

Warning: I can only take one of their books at a time. Once I made the mistake of reading of three Douglas Adams books in a row. Small doses, please.

message 11: by Kathrina (new)

Kathrina | 50 comments And To Say Nothing of the Dog, it's funny and silly and smart, the Victorian self-mocking humor of Jerome K. Jerome meets the time-traveling hijinks of Douglas Adams-style sci/fi humor.

message 12: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs913) This is great. I've found 5 new authors to read that I hadn't heard of ;)

message 13: by Mir (new)

Mir | 189 comments A Night in the Lonesome October (Lots of Zelazny's other books are also funny, but then many are not).

Do you like witty rejoinders? Try Steve Brust Jhereg

Adventures with some clever dialogue? Martha Wells, especially her Ile-Rien series.

message 14: by Kathrina (new)

Kathrina | 50 comments Miriam, I've never read Brust because I don't want to read a book I can't pronounce. They scare me...

message 15: by Eric (new)

Eric | 25 comments The Futurological Congress: From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy is pretty hilarious and wild, also very short.

message 16: by karen, future RA queen (last edited Feb 15, 2011 10:41AM) (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
how to live safely in a science fictional universe

this book has gotten a lot of positive reviews and has been compared to douglas adams.

message 17: by Jasmine (last edited Feb 15, 2011 12:35PM) (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments I second johnathan strange and mr norrell. The goneaway world by nick harkaway is great literary scifi. Tom robbins is very funny but not scifi

message 18: by Avrelia (new)

Avrelia | 4 comments In addition to The Futurological Congress above I must also recommend The Cyberiad by Stanisław Lem. It's hilarious and it should be more well-known than it is.

Out of my favorite "oldies" I want to mention The Complete Compleat Enchanter by L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt and many short stories by Henry Kuttner

message 20: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs913) You missed Rick Riordan's Percy and the Olympians :)

message 21: by Flannery, html whiz (new)

Flannery (flannabanana) | 63 comments Mod
I put The Lightning Thief down because I thought the first book in the series would be the rec? I did the same for Storm Front?

message 22: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs913) Flannery wrote: "I put The Lightning Thief down because I thought the first book in the series would be the rec? I did the same for Storm Front?"

Ah :) cool, sorry!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Snow Crash is pretty funny, although seriously info-dumpy in the last act. The opening sequence though - hilarious.

Yellow Blue Tibia is also funny, but in a way that winks.

I also add my vote to Strange & Norrell. Comedy of Manners + Napoleanic Wars + magic = great book.

message 24: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 11 comments Here are some series to look for:

Spellsinger series, Alan Dean Foster.

The M.Y.T.Hing imperfections and Phule's series by Robert Asprin.

A Night in the Netherhells by Craig Shaw Gardner.

Anything Esther Friesner, or Terry Pratchett does.

The Stainless Steel Rat and Bill the Galactic Hero series by Harry Harrison.

The Xanth series by Piers Anthony, but your tolerance varies based on how you like puns.

The Callahan's Crosstime Saloon Series by Spider Robinson

You might also want to check out anthologies like Chicks in Chainmail as the short story tends to be more humorous.

message 25: by Kaethe (new)

Kaethe (kaethedouglas) H. Beam Piper for Little Fuzzy and sequels
John Scalzi for Fuzzy Nation
The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex

message 26: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Choupette wrote: "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susannah Clarke is very funny in an Oscar Wilde/Jane Austen kind of way. And also brilliant fantasy."

Loved this book! Thank you!!! :)

message 27: by Mir (new)

Mir | 189 comments Have you ever tried Lois M Bujold's Miles series? There is usually a lot of humor although they're not primarily comic like Discworld. She kind of alternates humor and darkness.

message 28: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
did you end up reading/liking any of the suggestions?