readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Readers advisory, eh?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josh (last edited Feb 14, 2011 09:01PM) (new)

Josh | 7 comments Pacing: It really doesn't matter as long as the story doesn't get bogged down by description. Multi-page paragraphs are fine by me.

Storyline: I'd prefer focused narrative, and I find books with multiple narratives tend to lose that focus. Serious, psychological. Preferably something literary.

Frame: I like my fiction really bleak. I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but sometimes I focus on style over substance. Writers with poetic styles - Burroughs, Dresier, Gibson, McCarthy - really click with me. I'm mostly looking for stuff that fits this category I guess. Not a fan stream-of-consciousness.

Characterization: Characters don't have to be relatable, but I tend to get more out of a book if at least the main character isn't emotionally crippled. Or at least not completely emotionally crippled.

Not much to go on, but it's worth a shot I guess.

message 2: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
i will work on this tomorrow. this is really fun!!

message 3: by karen, future RA queen (new)

for now, because i am at work and have a ton to do, let me quickly just recommend lawrence durrell to you, specifically justine.

he is most definitely poetic - great use of underused, evocative words, and this book is single narrator, although each book in the quartet is narrated by a different person. they characters are emotionally damaged but not emotionally crippled. definitely bleak.they are driftless and searching and some are borderline sociopathic, but gently so. does this make sense? there is a lot of description, but it is not description that is a chore to read. everything is lemon and opal and lavender and gorgeous. if you like, i could type out a representative passage and you can tell me if it is too much description.

message 4: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs913) How about Hector and the Search for Happiness don't let the summary on GR fool you--it's not trite or lite. I found the psychology of Hector's discoveries fascinating.

Stieg Larson's trilogy starting with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo--what is it about Swedish authors? I've read several and they all have a dour, bleak outlook. But very good characters and story in this series :)

message 5: by Josh (new)

Josh | 7 comments @karen: I skimmed through a few pages online, and it looks really good. Exactly what I'm looking for.

@Brain: I've only his more popular books, but I like Faulkner. I'll read this at some point, but I should probably read Absalom, Absalom first.

@Deb: The Hector book doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for, but it sounds really good. I've been meaning to read Steig Larson for quite a while now.

Thanks people!

message 6: by carriedaway (new)

carriedaway | 25 comments How about The Periodic Table? There are 21 chapters each relating to the, wait for it, periodic table. It's written by a chemist who survived Auschwitz who uses an element as a jumping off point for a story, a memory, an observation.

message 7: by Josh (new)

Josh | 7 comments @karen: Justine was really good, though not entirely what I wanted (this is totally my fault, not yours).

I guess I wasn't really looking for a love story. It kinda reminded me of The Great Gatsby in the fact that both books are amazingly written and I didn't particularly like the characters in either. I do plan on reading the rest of the quartet at some point though.

@carriedaway:

That sounds great, I'll check it out.

message 8: by Josh (new)

Josh | 7 comments Oh, another problem is probably the fact that even I'm not entirely sure about what I think I want to read.

message 9: by karen, future RA queen (new)

did any of the other suggestions sound good? did you want to maybe refine it a little and try again?