Ling period 3 World Lit. I 2010-11 discussion

Romeo and Juliet > Do you think the serving man knew Romeo and Benvolio are from the montague house? WHy would he invite them to the Capulet ball?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William K | 9 comments If the servingman did know that they were from the Montague house, surely he would be fired or however they punished people back in this time. Inviting a long enemy of the Capulet house to their ball? Not okay im guessing. It said in the book that he just walked up to them asking if they could read which makes me think he just picked them randomly, this i could understand.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason V | 10 comments The servingman did not know that Romeo and Benvolio were of the Montague house. Servingman says,"My/ master is the great rich Capulet, and, if you be not/ of the house of Montagues, I pray come and crush a/ cup of wine."(1.2.85-88). The servingman didn't know who they were or what house they were from. He only invited them if they were not Montagues. I think he asked them because they were kind enough to translate the letter, and their is more of a chance of Romeo and Benvolio not being Montagues, then being Montagues.