The Young Republicans/ Civil Debate Group discussion

Welcome > Great Republican Quotes

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 90 comments Mod
There are so many, I figured I'd just start a thread. Feel free to add on.

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Ronald Reagan:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."

"Governments tend not to solve problems, only to rearrange them."

"How can a president not be an actor?"

"I've never been able to understand why a Republican contributor is a 'fat cat' and a Democratic contributor of the same amount of money is a 'public-spirited philanthropist'."

"Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man."

"Man is not free unless government is limited."

"No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!"

"Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means."

"Protecting the rights of even the least individual among us is basically the only excuse the government has for even existing."

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15."

"We should measure welfare's success by how many people leave welfare, not by how many are added."

"Without God, democracy will not and cannot long endure."

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Abraham Lincoln:

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right."

"Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally"

"Every man's happiness is his own responsibility."

"To sin by silence, when they should protest, makes cowards of men."

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."

"You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence."

"You cannot have the right to do what is wrong!"

"If this country is ever demoralized, it will come from trying to live without work."

message 4: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 67 comments George Bush Jr.:

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

message 5: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Murphy Barry Goldwater

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

message 6: by Mags (new)

Mags | 22 comments Mod
"America is too great to dream small dreams."

"Government is not the solution to our problems. Government IS the problem"

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, `I`m from the government and I`m here to help.'"

All by Ronald Reagan