Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Introductions > Cheers!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (last edited Feb 14, 2011 07:34PM) (new)

Alicia Hey everyone! My name is Alicia, 21, and I'm a student in Ontario, Canada. In terms of YA books, I particularly enjoy YA historical fiction, YA fantasy, YA dystopian and contemporary or realistic YA that covers a wide variety of teen issues. The only YA I don't like is paranormal romance or general paranormal-type YA books. I was in another YA group for a while, but found it very disappointing. I searched out this group as an alternative, and it looks fantastic! I look forward to chatting books with all of you!

I also like vegetarian cooking, television and movies. Cheers!

message 2: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Hey Alicia!! I'm 21 also, from New Jersey. I read a bunch of those same genres too so hope to talk to you soon!!

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Great to meet you, Ottilie. I'm off to check out some of the challenges - I'm totally addicted to them.

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Glad to have you, Alicia! We seem to be a pretty active group, with good discussions and ways to participate if you are interested.

I love dystopian myself. If you would've asked me two years ago what dystopian meant, I would've wondered what the heck you were talking about :-) I must admit, though, I'm also a sucker for paranormal.. Ok, I'm pretty much just a sucker for YA. haha...

message 5: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Haha lucky, school eats my soul so I can't handle the challenges, I have two classes with 13 books each. I'm lucky to sneak some time to write! Good luck!!

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Angela, thanks for the welcome!

Ottilie, what do you study? With that many books, I'm assuming english lit? My readings for school can be heavy too, but I usually find time in the evenings and on the weekends to do some pleasure-reading. I have to read something before I can fall asleep at night, even if it's just a few chapters. I'm lucky to be a pretty fast reader, at least when it comes to stuff like YA books. They tend to be less difficult and have easier vocabulary (while still discussing intelligent themes and issues), which makes them faster to get through and is one of the reasons I love them - great for a brain that is tired from a long day of school or work!

message 7: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments I'm studying History Education. haha History majors read just as much as English majors it is so bad at times. I can on occation sneek fun reading, but if given the choice or reading or writing, I'll sneek writing. I love the YA books for breaks for school for those reasonings. They are fast reads, easier vocab, and fun plots and characters. Haha that's excatly why I enjpoy them during breaks.

message 8: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I'm actually a history major too! Without the education part though - there's a huge surplus of teachers where I live, otherwise I would consider it.

message 9: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments haha really?? isn't it fun but mind numbing?