Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Looking for readers...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (jacquelinegeorge) Hi All,

I am looking for a couple (or so) readers to look at a story that is being edited right now. I am look for general comments on plot, characters, settings etc - although you are welcome to mark any typos too.

The title is Falling into Queensland and tells the story of a London girl who inherits a riverside shed in FNQ. The genre is crime/adventure. Not overtly sexy like some of my other stuff, or particularly romantic.

Anyone who like to help improve the book before I finally put it to bed? I would be extremely grateful.

Jacqueline

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

If you don't get enough volunteers I am prepared to help you out. However I don't think my literary critiquing skills are up to it. My offer is only if you are sesperate. :P

message 3: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments What kind of turnaround are you looking at, Jacqueline? I'd be happy to read through it for you. It would count towards my True Blue rating and I find myself reading most books with an editors eye recently. I generally have a few books going and need to get started on my thesis, so it would probably take me a few weeks to get through a standard length novel.

It's a pity you didn't get a Sony so I could just send you the file with annotations...

message 4: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments Have you tried authonomy or any of the sites dedicated to peer review?

message 5: by Jacqueline (last edited Feb 15, 2011 12:21AM) (new)

Jacqueline George (jacquelinegeorge) Murray, the book is currently a Word doc - I guess your Sony can handle that? If you can download from your ereader back into something I could read...? A pdf?

Anyway, please mail me at jacquelinegeorge(at)westnet.com.au with an address I can mail it to. I would really appreciate an Aussie view. As to the time frame - a month? As I said, I am not looking for a line edit, more a general impression of things that could be improved.

message 6: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (jacquelinegeorge) Cyborg, I have two ladies and two men who have volunteered to read the book - very kind of them all. So I'm not 'sesperate' any more. However, I will remember you next time, thanks

message 7: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (jacquelinegeorge) Well now, Murray has just replied with a really useful critique of Falling into Queensland, and I have started a web page at http://d7911.mysite.westnethosting.co... to post everyone's comments.

It is already obvious that this is going to be extremely useful to me - it will take the place of the wise and friendly editor every book ought to have, but can no longer afford.

Thanks again, folks. (Anyone else can join in, if they like.)

message 8: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (jacquelinegeorge) Just posted an update to the address above. Already I can see this is going to be very useful and will produce a better book.