Ling Period 8 World Lit. I 2010-11 discussion

Romeo and Juliet > Romeo and Juliet [1.1-1.3]: Switching Between Tenses

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Ni | 11 comments "Tut, I have lost myself. I am not here./This is not Romeo. He's some other where." [1.1.206]

I find it weird how Shakespeare, in the character's lines, switch between tenses. Although it could serve as something to keep the iambic pentameter of the couplets, it could also serve some other purpose. For example, it could be used for extra effect in the lines or maybe Shakespeare was just adhering to the style at the time.

message 2: by Otis (new)

Otis C | 4 comments It might have been written to catch peoples attention, as it has yours.

message 3: by Noam (new)

Noam | 9 comments I disagree with both of you. He didn't do it to catch the readers attention, nor did he do as some writing style of the time. The reason i think shakespear did this, is Romeo is saying that without his love, he is not himself,..he is not with his love so "Romeo" AKA himself, is not there

message 4: by Richard (new)

Richard | 11 comments I agree with Noam, he's been acting differently since he was in love, and he's not being himself.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 12 comments I agree with richard and Noam, Shakespear is trying to express that Romeo is not feelikng like himself. In order to express this he refers himself in the third person.