What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. fantasy: deaf teen regains hearing to help search for a dragon

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leela4 (last edited Feb 14, 2011 06:27PM) (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments I read this one sometime before 1995, probably in the mid-1980s. It "felt" like an early 1980s fantasy. It was in the juvenile section of the library, but it didn't have the tone of a kids book--young adult, maybe.

Took place in the country. Had that "English" feel like "The Dark Is Rising". A deaf boy (teen, I think) regains his hearing one night. In fact I think the whole book took place in one night because of some time-slowing effect. The boy meets a man from another world who is seeking to find--awaken?--a sleeping dragon. Of course there are foes around; I don't remember if they were trying to prevent the awakening or if they were trying to find the dragon first. I think the boy went to the other world for a time; I think it was through a gate made by some standing stones (I imagined a dolmen for some reason).

I read about half the book and got bored. I looked at the last page--the dragon either never wakes up or goes back to sleep and the boy loses his hearing again, it's all very melancholy. So I gave up. And now I'm wondering what the title was and who wrote it!

message 2: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments (bump)

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Leela4, are you still looking for this book?

message 4: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments Yes, because apparently it's super-obscure, but apparently not too obscure for a library to have bought.

message 5: by Leela4 (last edited Oct 16, 2013 07:17PM) (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments I spent some time with Google. The book this person is searching for sounds a little like mine and a little not: http://askville.amazon.com/find-book-...

I think the dragon in mine was indeed referred to as female. But I remember the part about hearing as terribly sad because the boy had been able to hear for this one night and now it's gone again and everything will go on exactly as it has. Sort of the antithesis of a science fiction/fantasy story.

Oh, and I may remember something about it being the dragon's fault that he was deaf in the first place, that he encountered it as a young child and was somehow changed by doing so.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 7: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Leela4, do you remember anything about the cover?

Any other types of fantasy characters like witches, trolls, etc?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No responses. Moving to Abandoned.