Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Nominations for May 2011!

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Feb 22, 2011 08:32AM) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

It’s time to open nominations for our May 2011 Books of the Month. Each group member can make 1 science fiction and/or 1 fantasy nomination in this thread. If you would like to make a nomination, please reply to this post with the title and author of the book(s) you would like to put forward for the group’s consideration.

Telling us a little about the book and why you think it would be a good group read can help get other members interested in reading (and voting for) your nomination. You can also check the group bookshelves for previous Books of the Month to see if your nomination has already been read by the group. (Being chosen as a past BotM does not necessarily disqualify a book from current consideration, but be aware that it may hinder your nomination’s chances at the polls.) Feel free to re-nominate a book that didn’t win in the polls in previous months!

Nominations will remain open through February 19th, and the first round of polls will go up on February 20th.

NOMINATIONS SO FAR:

FANTASY:
Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (christine)
Vellum: The Book of All Hours by Hal Duncan (phoenixfalls)
The Child Thief by Brom (mark)
Fortress in the Eye of Time by C.J. Cherryh (jeff)
Little, Big by John Crowley (kevin)
The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (kara)
The Magicians by Lev Grossman (dawn)
Deerskin by Robin McKinley (kerry)
Transformation by Carol Berg (orannia)
The Etched City by K.J. Bishop (paul)

SCIENCE FICTION:
The Quiet War by Paul J. McAuley (tom)
When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger (phoenixfalls)
Kesrith by C.J. Cherryh (mark)
The Myriad by R.M. Meluch (jeff)
Archangel by Sharon Shinn (kerry)
The Dervish House by Ian McDonald (marne)
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (kernos)
To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip José Farmer (kevin)
Pacific Edge by Kim Stanley Robinson (paul)

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine | 593 comments I'd like to nominate Son of Avonar which I've just finished reading; the group has liked this author with a previous BotM. This is in the Fantasy category

message 3: by Tom (last edited Feb 14, 2011 05:58PM) (new)

Tom | 13 comments I'd like to nominate The Quiet War by Paul J. McAuley for science fiction. It was nominated for Arthur C Clark award in 2009.

message 4: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments I'll try When Gravity Fails, by George Alec Effinger for SF and Vellum: The Book of All Hours, by Hal Duncan for Fantasy again this month. . .

message 5: by mark (last edited Feb 15, 2011 01:16AM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 113 comments for fantasy, i'd like to nominate:
The Child Thief by Brom

for scifi, i'd like to nominate:
Kesrith by CJ Cherryh

if i could, i'd second the nominations of Vellum and The Quiet War, both of which look fascinating.

message 6: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Watson | 55 comments For Fantasy: Fortress in the Eye of Time by C.J. Cherryh

For Science Fiction: The Myriad by R.M. Meluch

I'll second Faded Sun: Kesrith by C.J. Cherryh.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) For fantasy, I'll try something I've never nominated before... Hah! Just kidding, I'm going with The Magicians by Lev Grossman again. Millionth time is the charm? :)

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I will second both of the C.J. Cherryh.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I will nominate for fantasy, Little, Big byJohn Crowley. This one of the most challenging book anyone will ever read. It knocked me down a couple of time over the summer in order to finished the book. This book is way to complex, like to hear others thought on the book.

message 10: by Kara (last edited Feb 15, 2011 07:28AM) (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments Gonna go ahead and nominate for FANTASY
The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicle, #2) by Patrick Rothfuss The Wise Man's Fear

An exciting debut for 2011... I think a lot of people may be wanting to discuss it about then.

I'll definitely second The Child Thief by Brom The Child Thief. Looks interesting!

message 11: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I would happily second The Magicians! Amazing book!

message 12: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I'll second Fortress in the Eye of Time, no question. Great book.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Kara wrote: "Gonna go ahead and nominate for FANTASY
The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicle, #2) by Patrick RothfussThe Wise Man's Fear

An exciting debut for 2011... I think a lot of people may be wanting to discuss it..."

I think a little too soon for The Wise Man's Fear.

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) It comes out in March, this is for a May read.. How is it too soon?

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Kara wrote: "Gonna go ahead and nominate for FANTASY
The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicle, #2) by Patrick RothfussThe Wise Man's Fear

An exciting debut for 2011... I think a lot of people may be wanting to discuss it..."

This may leave out the people who have not read The Name of the Wind.

message 16: by Dawn (last edited Feb 15, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I'm pretty sure that NoTW is book of the month for March, so I believe that means that sequels apply :)

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Dawn wrote: "I'm pretty sure that NoTW is book of the month for March, so I believe that means that sequels apply :)"

Did not realize that.

message 18: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments Kevin wrote: "I will nominate for fantasy, Little, Big byJohn Crowley. ..."

I think they read it back in November... it's shelved. It DOES sound like a good book though.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Kara wrote: "Kevin wrote: "I will nominate for fantasy, Little, Big byJohn Crowley. ..."

I think they read it back in November... it's shelved. It DOES sound like a good book though."

Oh, okay.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) How about I Third Fortress in the Eye of Time? My favorite Cherryh book (at least so far.) :)

message 21: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Okay, I think I got all of them so far. Keep them coming!

A few notes:

1. Yes, sequels may be nominated, as long as we've read the previous book(s) in the series.
2. Yes, books we've discussed before can be nominated again.
3. Both of these may not get as many votes as other books if (as with 1) they're only available in hardcover or not everyone has read the first book, or (as with 2) it's been discussed quite recently so people may want to read something new instead. But, the votes ultimately decide. If you want to withdraw a nomination for some reason, please do so explicitly - if not, we're leaving it in the list.
4. It's not necessary to second (or third or fourth) nominations in this group. You're more than welcome to do so, but it makes absolutely no difference at all :)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) I think it's like campaigning...

message 23: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Oh yes, I understand. I was just mentioning it because there are other groups on GoodReads where nominations do have to be seconded before they make it on the list, and I wanted to make sure everyone knows that's not the case here, at least at the moment.

message 24: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments I'm going to try again with Archangel by Sharon Shinn for SF again.

I'll suggest Deerskin by Robin McKinley for fantasy as I've never read it and keep meaning to do so.

message 25: by orannia (last edited Feb 15, 2011 09:53PM) (new)

orannia I don't really want to split the vote, but I'd like to nominate Carol Berg's Transformation for fantasy please.

And I'll second Kerry's Archangel (Sharon Shinn) suggestion as I'd love to re-read that :)

message 26: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments Stefan wrote: "Okay, I think I got all of them so far. Keep them coming!

A few notes:

1. Yes, sequels may be nominated, as long as we've read the previous book(s) in the series.
2. Yes, books we've discuss..."

Thanks for the clarifications Stefan! =)

message 27: by Marne (new)

Marne For SF how about The Dervish House by Ian McDonald. Its been getting fantastic reviews.

message 28: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments I'd like to nominate The Day of the Triffids by author John Wyndham for SF.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) I read that years ago Kernos, good suggestion. I forget that a lot of the older science fiction may be new to newer readers.

message 30: by Hélène (new)

Hélène (hlneb) | 89 comments I'll vote for both books by Cherryh. I liked Kesrith and would give another try for The fortress. I didn't really appreciate it when I read it - which is unusual with this author.

message 31: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I'll abstain from nominating anything this month, as there are already several suggestions I'd like to read.

(Hey, Stefan - I just noticed you listed The Magicians twice.)

message 32: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Shh! My nom was going to be on the poll twice! Double the chances! lol ;)

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments For science fiction I would like to nominate To Your Scattered Bodies Go, one of the best ideas in science fiction that I have ever read, one of my favorites of the genre.

message 34: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 217 comments i had several thoughts, but some possibles were similar to those already mentioned, so i decided on two that are a bit different.

for SF, Pacific Edge by Kim Stanley Robinson, the first of his books that i read. one of three books set in California in different versions of the late 21st century this is a utopian novel with some interesting things to say on the subject.

for fantasy, The Etched City by KJ Bishop, a wonderful industrial fantasy set in a superbly realised world. i was blown away when i read this and am disappointed that she has yet to release another book.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) The Etched City looks interesting. I'd second it - if such things counted. ;)

message 36: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Last day to vote in the first round of polls!

Here are the links:

Fantasy: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/44...

SF: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/44...

Tomorrow I'll set up the run-off polls with the top 2 books from each poll. (And again I'd like to emphasize that Little, Big, the book that's currently in second place in the Fantasy poll, was just read and discussed by this group in November 2010... so if anyone who voted for it wishes to change their vote, I'd be most grateful... If not, as things currently stand, it's going to the run-off poll and has a solid chance of becoming the Book of the Month again, barely 6 months after the last time...)

message 37: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

The run-off polls are up!

Fantasy: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/45...

SF: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/45...

Please take a moment to go vote!

message 38: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Forgot to add: The Wise Man's Fear is book 2, but we're reading book 1 (The Name of the Wind) next month, so anyone who wants to participate can jump in with book 1 in a few days. Also, it's a new book (just coming out next week) and bound to be very popular, so if you're a library reader, you may want to reserve your copy well in advance.