The Sword and Laser discussion

Shadow & Claw (The Book of the New Sun #1-2)
This topic is about Shadow & Claw
2011 Reads > S&C: New Sun as an Audiobook- Thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Josh (firequake) | 30 comments I was just wondering what the general opinion was surrounding the audiobook.

Personally, it seems to me that Wolfe's complex writing style does not listen well, really requiring a slow and careful read. I'm constantly getting the feeling that I'm missing something, and find myself backing up and re-listening to sections multiple times. I may end up grabbing a paper copy from the library or somewhere.

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 491 comments that was certainly my experience with The Wizard Knight

Jeffrey J | 38 comments I have not backed up but am thinking about it. I feel like I missed a couple of chapters somewhere but have no idea when I would have missed them.

Having said that I really enjoy the audio book and certainly don't want to stop. I may, on a reread get a physical book.

message 4: by Sgtdetritus (new)

Sgtdetritus | 9 comments I liked the narrator for the copy I had, but I agree, it's a little too dense for audio. I didn't finish, because I just didn't like the book though.

message 5: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Dunn | 40 comments The narrator really colors the world for me. All his dialogue is droll and monotone. It really makes these people seem hopeless. The tone is even darker than even its supposed to because of him likely.

Andrew (frontline) | 129 comments Interesting. I was planning on doing the 2nd, 3rd and 4th parts via Audible. School is just too big a demand on my in hand reading time so, commute and gym are my only chances. Sounds like I should listen at 1x, not 2x maybe?

message 7: by Jay (new)

Jay Crossler (jaycrossler) | 26 comments At first, I really struggled with the audiobook (for a few chapters), but then everything just clicked and I really enjoyed the narrator. I listened at 2x, and will likely go back and relisten to the first few chapters over (once I finish book 2).

I felt very similar to when I read Shakespeare - there's always a period of adjustment as my mind wraps itself around the Olde English (the language, not the drink). Feel like here, they speak with New English... Or how our language might evolve over millenia. Very cool effect, and something I didn't fully get when I was just reading the paper book.

message 8: by Tom (last edited Mar 05, 2011 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Cameron | 25 comments I was doing great with the Audiobook until the Performance at the House Absolute, I just couldn't follow it in audio format. I need to get hold of a copy of the book so I can see what I missed.

message 9: by Jay (new)

Jay Crossler (jaycrossler) | 26 comments @Tom I was just listening to that part when I read your post. I wonder the same - I felt that I followed along with the play, just missed any deeper metaphors if they were there. It might be slightly spoilery, but I wonder if there would be value in a thread for key topics that didn't transcend the audio format (or maybe even vice versa - things that we got more from in audio than text? Would that make it verse vica?)

terpkristin | 4185 comments Hmm I just read that scene in the dead tree edition and had to read it a few times and still think I missed a few things... :)

I'm glad I'm reading this one in print the first time through, though I grabbed the audio editions and think they'll be a good refresher when I'm ready to read Sword & Citadel (which will be after The Wise Man's Fear and my re-read of the Song of Ice and Fire series).

message 11: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) I'm going to listen to the Audible version simply because there is no ebook version. :(

Since I started reading ebooks, I find the idea of reading a physical book distasteful. I don't know why. Oh wait - I think I do know why!

I went through a period of life where I moved on average once per year, lugging dozens of boxes full of books with me. 2 moves ago (after the purchase of my first ebook reader) I recycled hundreds of books, keeping only a few of my absolute favorites (and some classics that look good on a shelf). The idea of subtracting more space from my home and adding more weight to my next move (which thankfully won't be any time soon) sets my teeth on edge.

So I guess I'm stuck with the Audible version, even if I have to listen and 1/2 speed to get it through my thick skull.

message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan I got the Audible version because I'd already read the book a few years ago and I thought this might be one way to get a new experience out of it. There's a few weird examples of plays or stories popping up in this series, and I'm curious to hear how they do those. I did appreciate the singing in chapter 21. Didn't really remember or expect that.

I would think that the problem with the audiobook version would be that it's such an involved read that you would be losing things if you had to focus on anything else. Like driving your car.

message 13: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) I suppose the alternative is to wait for an ebook edition to be published. I rarely listen to my Audible books when I'm not doing something else (driving, exercising).

There are other Gene Wolfe books in the Kindle store.