Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: New to UF

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shiloh (new)

Shiloh (mementomordi) So I have read City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass and loved them. I also read Clockwork angel and loved it.

I read the The Host and hated it. That's pretty much the only experience I have with UF. I've read a lot of fantasy books (hunger games, american gods, neverwhere, book theif, and things like that) Do you guys have any suggestions so that i can properly appreciate this genre?

Christen (GoldiloxReads) | 36 comments Hi Kaitlin! Before I give you any suggestions, do you like Young Adult? Vampires? Sexy romance? Action? Knowing that will be helpful! There is SO much urban fantasy out there! :)

message 3: by Shiloh (new)

Shiloh (mementomordi) I like dark humor, action filled plots and to an extent vampires (and sometimes werewolves) I have yet to read something with fey or angles but i like the idea of them. I'm not that into the whole sexy romance thing, but if it is accompanied by a good action-filled plot then i'm fine. (The Host was too much romance with not enough plot if that helps) I think it's cooler when werewolves don't actually have control of themselves in their wolf form and i like original story ideas that havn't been done million times before.

Does that help?

I'm sorry if it's not very specific, the point of these suggestions is for me to try to understand what types of UF i DO like. Thanks for your help :)

Christen (GoldiloxReads) | 36 comments The Mercedes Thompson series Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs has great plots and the lead character is awesome. She is a were-coyote and the two main male characters are werewolves. There is a romantic side plot happening, but it in no way takes over the regular story.

I love the Sookie Stackhouse series as well Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris . There is definitely more romance and sex happening in these, but there are great plots too. A lot of people in this genre have this listed as a favorite.

The Kate Daniels series is also amazing Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews . I'm not sure how to describe what she is, she kind of does magic and kicks ass? lol But there is a large werewolf clan involved in all the books and the love interest comes from this clan. As far as romance goes, definitely not the main focus, but a great relationship build up throughout the books.

Hope that helps for now! Good luck! :)

message 5: by Shiloh (new)

Shiloh (mementomordi) Awesome thanks :) I'll read these as soon as i get a chance!

message 6: by carol. (new)

carol. Kaitlin,
I don't mean to sound critical, but if you "open up" the "Book Recommendations" section, you'll see a variety of topics, including "Book Recommendations: Urban Fantasy" along with specific topics like "Fey" or "Angels" or whatever. I mention this because duplicate threads keep us re-inventing the wheel. There are a lot of great suggestions on the other thread.

But I'll repeat mention a couple of my favorites, who have particularly strong heroines: Patricia Brigg's "Mercedes Thompson" (main character) series, Ilona Andrews' "Kate Daniels" series and Faith Hunter's "Jane Yellowrock" series. All three have humor, strong women, vampires and werewolves, although not necessarily the mythological types. There are books in the series that are weaker, but all are good overall. Separate books that are good are Peter Beagle's Tamsin (ghosts) and Folk of the Air (fairy, witchcraft), and Emma Bull's War for the Oaks (fairy creatures).

message 7: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Feb 15, 2011 11:24AM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) I would recommend The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey, and Hard Day's Knight by John Hartness.

Each of those has a strong focus on the action and actual story. There's not much romance in any of them, just in small doses so as to not overshadow the whole book.

The Dresden Files is by far my favorite UF series. The series lead, Harry Dresden, is a pretty strong character and Jim Butcher has a way story building. He's really a master of handing you little bits of information that you think are neat and won't come back, but they do... and in some of the most awesome ways. Definitely love it. The first book in the series, Storm Front, is also his first book ever. If you don't enjoy it too much I would urge you to read more of the series. It really gains momentum around book three or four - but! those first books are good as well.

Sandman Slim... I'd compare that to Hellblazer if you've ever read that or the Constantine (which is a Hellblazer movie). It's just got a really kickass main character who really doesn't take crap from anyone. Definitely a darker and more gritty series.

Hard Day's Knight is the first in a new series, the second is coming out next month, but it's really neat. It's about vampires, but they aren't angsty nor do they sparkle. They're just vampire guys. I especially liked this because it feels like Hartness really wanted to write in this genre, not that he was just trying to hop on the UF train like a lot of other people. It comes across as very honest writing.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 51 comments My current favorite urban fantasy series is the Cal Leandros series Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman by Rob Thurman. It has original spins on a lot of genre monster-favorites, and there's very little romance (although it is there), along with a lot of snark and action. A lot of the emphasis is on the brotherly bond between the two main characters. The series is currently five books with a sixth due out in March and a seventh in the works (I think).

I also really like the Downside Ghosts series Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane by Stacia Kane. I've only read the first book, but I own the second and third and can't wait to read them. The heroine in the novels is one with plenty of issues and a painful backstory, but I think her flaws (she's a drug addict and not good at relationships) and her lack of the "poor me" complex make her more appealing. It's a little less on the action and more on mystery/investigation, but it's still a good read.

Both of the above series qualify as dark urban fantasy, in my opinion.

message 9: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) D'oh. >_<

How'd I forget to mention the Cal Leandros series?

message 10: by Gaynell (new)

Gaynell (gaynellk) | 62 comments As well as most of the series mentioned above (a couple I haven't got to read yet), I loved the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning. And, if you want some really dark fantasy, the Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop is really good.

message 11: by Shiloh (new)

Shiloh (mementomordi) Thanks everyone! I'm sorry if i'm spamming the group with unnecessary threads, but i REALLY appreciate you taking the time to not only recommend your favorite books, but also to apply those to my interests and help introduce me to the genre!

message 12: by Betelgeuze (new)

Betelgeuze | 114 comments I'd Recommend:

The Felix Castor series by Mike Carey

First Book: The Devil You Know

message 13: by Sabina (new)

Sabina Kines | 3 comments I know it has been recommended but I need to also recommend it: the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs!!!:)

message 14: by Leona (last edited Feb 17, 2011 02:29PM) (new)

Leona | 4 comments I'd recommend (will be repeating some other recs):

The Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews
Chicagoland Vampires Series by Chloe Neill (also does YA Dark Elite series)
Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
Twenty Palaces novels by Harry connolly
Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning
The Downside series by Stacia Kane
eta: Toby Daye series by Seanan Mcguire

message 15: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments I'm totally repeating people, but I'll second the votes for Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs, Harry Dresden by Jim Butcher (sorry to correct someone, but the first book is Storm Front), and the Downside Ghosts by Stacia Kane. All of these are amazing series!

Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane

message 16: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) You don't have to apologize for correcting me on the first book... I can't believe I did that. I love the Dresden Files, I shouldn't make that mistake. >_<

message 17: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments JK wrote: "You don't have to apologize for correcting me on the first book... I can't believe I did that. I love the Dresden Files, I shouldn't make that mistake. >_<"

LOL, he has so many books, I keep forgetting which of them I've read and which I still need to buy. And I can never get the titles right anyway. :P

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Here are series that haven't been mentioned yet:

Dog Days
A Kiss Before the Apocalypse
The Otherworld series, in which the type of supe changes POV every book or two. First book is Bitten
War for the Oaks isn't a series, but a one- off and one of the first urban fantasy novels.
Tinker doesn't get mentioned nearly enough on these lists...

message 19: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 91 comments This is why I love this group :D

So many awesome suggestions!

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 122 comments I's also recommend C.E.Murphy's books. I'd start with Urban Shaman

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary Abshire (maryabshire) Have you tried Jocelynn Drake's books?
Nightwalker (Dark Days, #1) by Jocelynn Drake Dayhunter (Dark Days, #2) by Jocelynn Drake Dawnbreaker (Dark Days, #3) by Jocelynn Drake Pray for Dawn (Dark Days, #4) by Jocelynn Drake Wait for Dusk (Dark Days, #5) by Jocelynn Drake

Really good urban fantasy!!!

message 22: by Tamputhoff (last edited Mar 27, 2011 04:22PM) (new)

Tamputhoff | 2 comments Darynda Jones! Her "First Grave on the Right" was the beginning of a great UF series! Funny, hip, steamy...all there.First Grave on the Right

message 23: by Harlequin Books (new)

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 23 comments I would recommend most of our LUNA titles. Recently the 2nd book in Laura Anne Gilman's PUPI series came out, Pack of Lies. The first is Hard Magic. Both books are highly rated.

Here is a link to the LUNA book page in our online bookstore. (Easy way to check them all out and hopefully find one that catches your fancy). http://www.eharlequin.com/store.html?...

message 24: by Omi (new)

Omi | 9 comments These are some of my personal favourites. They are all very well-written and are adult books.

* The Hollows series by Kim Harrison. It has vampires (both traditional and a 'living vamp') but also witches, demons, pixies, elves and faeries. It is an alternate history environment. Warning with this series is that the first book is only okay but the rest are really great.
* Kara Gillian series by Diana Rowland. The protagonist is a demon summoning detective. It is a very gritty but darkly funny book.
* Alex Craft series by Kalayna Price. This has witches (a little different though), fae folk and interesting creatures. The protagonist is a grave witch who summons shades.
* Shifter series by Rachel Vincent. It is about werecats and these series really grows from start to finish.
* Annabelle Lee series by Stacey Jay. These are about tiny killer faeries and most of the human population is killed by their venom and cities are built in iron cages but the protagonist is immune.
* The white trash zombie series by Diana Rowland. This is a zombie story but like a sort of 'living zombie' who is made and then sent to work in a morgue. As always from this author it is very gritty but darkly funny book.