Ling Period 8 World Lit. I 2010-11 discussion

Romeo and Juliet > romeo and juliet act 1 scene 1-3

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 9 comments "Well, think of marriage now. Younger than you / Here in Verona, ladies of esteem, / Are made already mothers. By my count / I was your mother much upon these years / That you are now a maid. Thus, then, in brief: / The valiant Paris seeks you for his love." (1.3.75-80) This quote shows that Lady Capulet is strongly supporting that Juliet marries Paris. Lady Capulet should realize that Juliet never met paris, and that she should be given the chance to meet her and marry him for who he is, and not just on his social class.

message 2: by Noam (new)

Noam | 9 comments I agree. Not to mention her arguments for her to marry him, "everybody's doing it"... great inflence.

message 3: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 7 comments I believe that Lady Capulet should put herself in Juliet's shoes. I'm sure when she was young she did not want to be forced into marriage, but she was. She shouldn't want the same fate for her daughter. Every parent should want better things for their child.

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick Blake | 10 comments I agree, but with the way society was structured back then, this is how it worked. What I find weird is how Capulet is all for Juliet deciding by herself, but Lady Capulet pushes and pushes for her to marry. I wonder if that will cause any problems.

message 5: by J. (new)

J. Ni | 11 comments Arranged marriages don't often end in divorce back in the day. That's why most marriages in the US, usually out of love, end in divorce.

Quitting with the extra facts, Lady Capulet wants to help Juliet integrate into the society. She wants the best for her child, although it may not mean that Juliet would be happy. Trying to smooth her path in life instead of making her happy is Lady Capulet's way of showing love, in my opinion.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom T | 11 comments I agree, i think that Lady Capulet should think about what kind of position she is putting Juliet making her think of marrying Paris, even though she has never met him. I think that Juliet is right about standing up for herself and telling her mother that she is too young to be married even though her mother was married at her age.

message 7: by Dori (new)

Dori | 9 comments This showes that lady Capulet very much wants her daughter to get married, especialy to paris since he has gd connections with the prince. Also in my opinion, lady capulet is not like juliets father, i dont thin she cares very much about julietes concent to marrige, but the father does.

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia | 9 comments In my opinion, i think lady capulet is doing what is best for juliet. Juliet did not say no to marrying Paris, and therefore Lady Capulet is just telling juliet her opinion on the matter. In that time it was common for young girls to get married and lady capulet wants juliet to be happy.