Ling Period 8 World Lit. I 2010-11 discussion

Romeo and Juliet > romeo and juliet

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amit.s. (new)

Amit.s. | 9 comments in scene number 1 a montegue sais to his nephew " who set this ancient quarrel new abroach? speak nephew, were you by when it began?" (1.1.17.116-117)
i find it pretty intresting that he doesnt even know why did the fighting start. this fighting have caused many problems but it could of of stopped a lot of time ago. This is very simillar to the real world because many times people keep on hating each other without any reason. i think that if you cant even remember why you are in a fight with someone you should give him another chance.

message 2: by Sami (new)

Sami | 10 comments I agree with that if you cannot remember why you are fighting with the person you should give them a second chance. I think that when Montague asked Benvolio why the fighting started he meant that specific fight and not what happened in the past.

message 3: by Russell (new)

Russell Schmidt | 11 comments When Montague says this to benvolio he is talking about how that specific fight started, not how the whole feud started. That is what he means by "new abroach." I do agree with you about people fighting over arguments that they do not even remember. This happens all the time in reality.

message 4: by Noam (new)

Noam | 9 comments I dont think he means the whole fued, only the one fight. I dont remember it stating that they do not remember the cause of the fighting... sometimes people just need someone to hate though. I do agree that if they dont remember the reason for a fight they should no longer be in one.

message 5: by J. (new)

J. Ni | 11 comments If someone in the time past said something insulting pertaining to that person's descendants, I doubt that the descendants would forget. They'll just yell at them back and it's a whole cycle of feuding, etc. Haters will be haters, no matter what people say.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom T | 11 comments I agree with you, if you don't even remember why you are fighting; what is the point of fighting? I think that this feud between the Montagues and the Capulets has been going on for such a long time that they themselves do not remember.

message 7: by Dori (new)

Dori | 9 comments This is a good example showing that the two familys are honesly fighting for some pointless reason, because it wasnt even important enough for them to remember what happend, or who started it. Yet it also show that the fued is very important, because they remember what they were doing on that day.