Historical Fictionistas discussion

Buddy Reads > Aztec by Gary Jennings

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candace (new)

Candace | 38 comments Anyone interested in reading this with me?

This is the Goodreads summary:

Aztec is the extraordinary story of the last and greatest native civilization of North America. Told in the words of one of the most robust and memorable characters in modern fiction, Mixtli-Dark Cloud, Aztec reveals the very depths of Aztec civilization from the peak and feather-banner splendor of the Aztec Capital of Tenochtitlan to the arrival of Hernán Cortás and his conquistadores, and their destruction of the Aztec empire. The story of Mixtli is the story of the Aztecs themselves---a compelling, epic tale of heroic dignity and a colossal civilization’s rise and fall

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I got a copy of this last year and haven't gotten a chance to get to it yet. When were you thinking of starting?

message 3: by Candace (new)

Candace | 38 comments As soon as I found someone to read it with! Would you be ready to begin?

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I can start tomorrow. I'll finish up my current read tonight.....

message 5: by Candace (new)

Candace | 38 comments ok i will start too although i probably won't get through much until the weekend. thanks for joining me!

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Cool deal. I'm juggling a couple of other things, so it'll probably be a day or two before I really get into it good.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Braun | 19 comments I read Aztec by Gary Jennings several years ago when I was living in Mexico and found the book to be intriguing and sometimes brutally realistic. It portrays the Aztecs as the advanced culture that they were. Definitely worth the read!
Enjoy!

message 8: by Evan (new)

Evan Ostryzniuk | 1 comments How about a multi-media adventure! If you have the time, we could read this in conjunction with watching the BBC series Heroes and Villains: Cortes, which has pretty good production values, although the direction is heavy-handed.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 18 comments I enjoyed Aztec so much that after about a decade, I reread it and enjoyed it just as much!

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Danyi (goodreadscomkevindanyi) | 1 comments I actually learned how to read in second grade just so I could learn about the Conquest of Mexico: for some reason, I was fascinated as an 8-year-old. Some 30 years later I came across this book and read it in three days: it was everything that I had imagined as a young boy and an excellent, descriptive, and bloodily realistic read as an adult.

message 11: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Gleeson I actually just started this a few weeks ago and have found it over burdened by historical detail so much that it slows down the story. As a writer and historian I love historical detail but I think he takes it too far.