SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Guess the book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I thought of this game because I'm sick and my mind goes fuzzy from med-lemon so that explains it all :P

The Rules:

A person posts a clue to a book, another one then guesses it, if he gets it right he then gets to give the next clue :)

Just for fun
Let's not try and be too difficult!

I'll go first:

You have to go through a cupboard to get to the land in this book?

message 2: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2453 comments Mod
Lu wrote: "You have to go through a cupboard to get to the land in this book? "

It simply has to be:

"The completely fictional world ruled by a lion in my closet where time flows completely differently than in the real world"....

;)

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Aren't you supposed to give the name of the book and then a new clue?

Nice game by the way :)

message 4: by Crusader (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:51PM) (new)

Hey, I just provided some extra clues that's all. Seeing as how the poor thread didn't get much attention yet. That aside does a cupboard = a wardrobe?

message 5: by Lauren (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:56PM) (new)

Lauren Smith Oh ok :) Well it's a pretty easy one - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

My clue: Winston and Julia had a love affair in the 80s, but they should have checked the painting on the wall.

message 6: by Crusader (new)

That's too easy. 1984

An easy one from me.

You need to grok this to know what the title is!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Wasn't sure if I should make the clue harder, given that it's just the start of the game.

Had no idea what your clue refers to, but googling grok brings up Stranger in a Strange Land. Am I right?

message 8: by Crusader (new)

You are right, although Googling is a bit like cheating.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, I guess.

Ok, new clue: Dolores is a fiery girl, but lo! she has monstrous taste in men.

message 10: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
0_o no clue

message 11: by Crusader (new)

Lolita?

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yep :)

message 13: by Crusader (last edited Feb 15, 2011 12:11AM) (new)

The word is this knights protection while he takes care of a group of children in a world now bereft of technology and where demons and their underlings roam the world after nuclear armageddon.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, this doesn't sound like something I've read or even something I'm familiar with, but I feel like I'm forgetting something important...

The word - is it like one magic word, or does it refer to the general use of words, to cast spells for example?

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Argh, nevermind, my curiosity got the better of me - I googled the keywords. I don't know this novel, so I would never have guessed, but I won't reveal the answer. Someone else can give it a shot.

message 16: by Crusader (new)

Yeah, it's not very mainstream. I only read it since it was one of the few fantasy novels at the library I hadn't yet read.

Feel free to post the answer if nobody else tries before 17:00.

message 17: by Crusader (new)

Since nobody seems to want to give it a go. The answer was Armageddon's Children

Since I don't want to break the game again anyone else can feel free to post a clue...

message 18: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
A book where a piece of clothing travels

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

New clue: This Hiro is one punky Protagonist.

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments This sounds like one of those cryptic crossword clues that I can never solve Lauren. :-)

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hehe, it's not cryptic :) It's extremely easy if you know the book. However, I don't think there are many people in this group who have read it, so if you want to Google the keywords, go ahead.

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments lol I did google the keywords and it came up with Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson??

Hope this is right

This is a new Clue:

A sassenach who loves Lallybroch

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yep, that's right :) And your clue is totally cryptic to me!

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Oh, and I meant to explain my clue - the main character is named Hiro Protagonist, the novels falls into the cyberpunk genre.

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Lauren wrote: "Oh, and I meant to explain my clue - the main character is named Hiro Protagonist, the novels falls into the cyberpunk genre."

ha ha Glad to get my own back ;-) Barbara will know this one for sure, I know she has read the book.

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Yeah I know. I am planning to read book 7 but somehow I don't get around to it. It's Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

message 27: by Barbara (new)

ah drat, forgot to give a new clue.
the new clue is:
Do not hurt the trees. You do not know what you're killing even if they make great ships.

I am not sure if any of you have read this, but I have so look for clues there if you get stuck.
And good advice for the next don't answer before you have a clue ready. I had to think really hard.

message 28: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments That sounds like too many books I know of. More clues please. ;D

message 29: by Lauren (last edited Feb 16, 2011 09:53PM) (new)

Lauren Smith The only thing that came to mind was The Two Towers, but ships have no connection to the Ents. There must be lots of books with sentient trees though...

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Yes definately need another clue. There are a few books which have a connection with ships one being a classic I dont know if its the one youre going with though?

message 31: by Barbara (new)

It's a trilogy and the you don't know what you're killing part is revealed in the last book. It's off course fantasy. The ships I'm talking about are ships that sail the oceans and have a mind of their own if enough of their owners die on board.
Like I said I read them and they are in my fantasy folder so look there.

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, that's quite a spoiler.
I looked at your profile and the first thing I saw was a list of favourites, including The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb (which has ships on the book covers).
So that's my guess.

message 33: by Barbara (new)

Close, but not quite right.

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Oh damn, had a clue ready and everything :)

message 35: by Barbara (new)

come on Lauren, you're so close. Look again, you'll slap yourself if you stop now.

message 36: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Or wait, would it be Assassin's Quest then?

message 37: by Barbara (new)

no, but still close

message 38: by Barbara (new)

you've got the right author

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith The Liveship Series or Ship of Destiny (book 3)?

message 40: by Barbara (new)

Yeah, you got it!!!!!!

What's your clue?

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith He has no name, but he often gets mistaken for his father. And all he wants is someone to love.

message 42: by Barbara (new)

I have no idea. Which is good because I do not have a clue to give about another book. Maybe someone else knows this one.

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith It's a book everyone will have heard of, even if they don't understand the particulars. The clue refers not only to the book itself, but to assumptions people make about it.

message 44: by Barbara (new)

It still makes no sense to me. But that's ok, I'll keep thinking about it.

message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I think another clue is in order Lauren, I am completely stumped yet again. :-)

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm... A better word for "father" would be "creator"

message 47: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments The Bible?

message 48: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Haha, no :)

message 49: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments :-( I was just thinking of a clue aswell...(puts thinking cap back on )

message 50: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Lauren think we need a new clue? :-)

« previous 1 3 4