Monday Puzzler > Feb. 14, 2011 - Happy Valentine's Day

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
“Come,” he said softly.

She swallowed.

“You said you wanted to pick out the nightshirt you like best. So come.”

He could see it in her eyes, the desire to correct him, to argue that she’d never wanted anything of the sort, that he was the one to impose the choosing on her. But she only said, “Certainly.”

He had stacks of nightshirts, all white, in linen, flannel, silk, and merino wool. She snatched the uppermost nightshirt from the nearest stack.

“I’ll take this one.”

“But you haven't felt the others yet. Fell them.”

He pressed the nightshirts into her hands, one after another, and offered accompanying treatises on fabrics and textures. Soon they stood in a knee-deep pile of discarded nightshirts. And he handed her yet another one to examine.

It was silk, lustrous, smooth, lavish, something that two thousand years ago would have been quite worth the walk from Chang’an to Damascus.

“So soft,” he said. “Like your skin.”

Her grip tightened on the nightshirt. “May I have this one then?”

“Indeed, have it. Took you long enough to find one you liked.”

But she would not escape him so easily yet. He insisted she unclench her fingers, to avoid wrinkling the silk, and then he took hold of her hand and rubbed his thumb over her palm. Giving her his most thick-witted smile, he signed. “Ah, yes, just as lovely as I remember it.”

And remembered it. And remembered it.

It dawned on him that he tormented no one but himself with this little game of his.

He dropped her hand and stepped back. “Well, then, off you go.”

She looked at him uncertainly. He began to undo the fastening of his trousers. She needed no more urging after that, her departure swift and resounding.

message 2: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Sorry, I posted it so late. I will wait until tomorrow afternoon to post the answer.

Aly is so frigging bored | 857 comments Mod
I am soooo curious! Can't wait to see what book it's from

message 4: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2065 comments Mod
I have no idea.

message 5: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2081 comments Mod
Oh, I know this book! One of my auto-buy authors, and a really unusual plot.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1004 comments it seems vaguely familiar, not sure if I read it or just saw this excerpt before...

message 7: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
And the answer is......HIS AT NIGHT by Sherry Thomas.

message 8: by Melany (new)

Melany (azingirlygirl) | 49 comments havnt read this one :[

message 9: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2081 comments Mod
This book has grown on me. The first time Iwasn't sure what to make of it, really. I reread it recently and really liked it. Its not exactly a marriage of convenience....

message 10: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I'm sorry I keep forgetting to check these puzzlers until later in the week. I have recognized the last two and think both of them were great choices.

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianagreenroad) | 15 comments I love ST. She is a definite auto-buy for me.

message 12: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
I don't think I've ever read anything by Sherry Thomas. This sounded interesting. I'll go look it up!

message 13: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2081 comments Mod
I didn't like her first book thought her second one was ok and fell in love with not quite a husband. As far as I'm concerned ahe doesn't have one wrong word in it . And all her books are so different!

message 14: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I agree Dis, Not Quite a Husband is my favorite of hers.