Ling period 3 World Lit. I 2010-11 discussion

Romeo and Juliet > Why do people get married at such a young age?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacob (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:31AM) (new)

Jacob Malamed | 11 comments I think children are getting married at a young age because they wanted to start their life. Back then, people died much earlier and at young ages, and when they were able to marry, they would. I think they wanted to have kids and start their life early. I think also they got married at a young age because it showed responsibility and that they can have a life on their own. I think they wanted to prove to their parents that they can live on their own. Or maybe the parents wanted them to live on their own; because some famalies had arranged marriages.

message 2: by Joelle (new)

Joelle C | 11 comments I agree with Jacob; people got married younger because they didn't live as long, and people wanted to start their lives and raise children of their own. I think people had arranged marriages because they wanted their children to marry someone of their own social class; someone who could support their child and give them a good life. Although I see why arranged marriages might be a good thing during those times, I definitely think people should get to choose who they want to marry. When Capulet decided to let Juliet have some say in her marriage to Paris (Act 1, Scene 2), I think that this was a fair way to decide if Juliet would marry Paris. He wasn't giving her total control, but he wanted to make sure she'd at least be happy with who she married.

message 3: by Luke (new)

Luke | 8 comments I also agree with Jacob, but I think it may be more than that. I think that on top of people wanting to get their life started early, that they wanted to also do so while they still could. Since other people are getting married early, at some point there would be less people to do so with. Therefore it could be considered "better" to get married before everyone else was married and you would not have to worry about it later. Also, it the children did not want to do so on their own, they might be afraid that their parents would set up an arranged marriage instead. Because of this, they may even be "scared" into marriage, because either way, it was bound to happen and the people would rather choose someone to marry than they would be forced into marrying.

message 4: by Guy (new)

Guy | 11 comments I too agree with Jacob. People want to get all that life has to offer to them and in order to do that back in that time period, you had to get other things done a little bit earlier. For example, if they were to have a baby at 30 in that time period, and the average person only lived to be 55, that means that they might not even see their children get married.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 10 comments I agree with Guy and Jacob. People during that time knew that they porbably were not going to live past the age of sixty so, they wanted to do as much as they could with their lives and see some of their children's. Men probably wanted to get male heirs; they needed enough time for their wife to deliver a healthy child so that their fotrune could be passed on.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin G | 5 comments Well when we think about it, compared to today in Shakespearian times there weren't jobs for women. There was no education for women. It wasn't as if they had a job or class to get to. The same sort of goes for men but they had some sort of task to complete. Today girls have independent futures, jobs and lifestyles. There is no necessity for women to be married. As a result of lack of things to do people were married of early.I agree with Guy.

message 7: by Iaan Song (new)

Iaan Song | 13 comments I agree with everyone who wrote before me, and after (probably). I agree because there are historical proofs stating that there were no jobs for any women during that time, in Europe. However, it also has to do with the fact that people did not live for long back then, like people above has stated. On the other hand, there is also another point that if you marry younger you will have more possibility of more children. More children from the past meant that the family has more possibility of becoming more successful. I guess that is why Europe's nobles had multiple wives in order to become more successful. Yes, and that was just another point I wanted to bring up.