SMF OLS discussion

SPOILERS BOOK THREE

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (kathbrat) | 44 comments Mod
Place to discuss spoilers for book three

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Swingle | 69 comments Okay, has anyone besides Veronica and I read this one?

I just finished it last night, I thought it was excellent.

message 3: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments I've finished it as well. I enjoyed it. Very well written. I guess the take away message for me was that some things in life are just so altering and all consuming that there is never a way to go back. I like the hopefulness of the story ending with a kiss between Crow & Sophie, but as a therapist and a realist, I understand that even when a relationship is healing and hopeful, it will never be truly the same. I think that, most of the time, when folks try to start over and build over a place of pain...it rarely works. Most survivors I know need to move on...new place, new partner, new life. It is hard to be with someone who was there for it all. Though it shouldn't be true, it often is true that rape ruins the best of relationships and the strongest of marriages.

Beautifully written!

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Jarvis (ariyana9501) | 31 comments I'm glad you both enjoyed it as well. I agree with Vickie about the "take away message", although I also get how freaked out she was, but with so many clues, it's hard to figure out how no one knew what happened. I was irritated about the fact that everyone thought Crow had something to do with it, and since Sophie wouldn't talk, she couldn't tell them that he didn't. Lots of mixed feelings about this one. Irritated, confused, but I really loved it!

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Swingle | 69 comments Vickie, I agree, I don't see things ending well for Crow and Sophie as a couple. In fact, I would guess that Sophie would move out of that town as soon as she could, too many horrible memories.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Swingle | 69 comments I liked how the author interweaved all the different points of view throughout the book, too, it really was wonderfully written.

message 7: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (tangee43) | 93 comments Dawn wrote: "I liked how the author interweaved all the different points of view throughout the book, too, it really was wonderfully written."

LOL...actually, all that perspective shifting drove me nuts. I tend to read at night as I'm falling asleep, so I like things light, simple and easy to follow. This gave me a few "huh?" kinda moments because I didn't transition well between perspectives.

I know this is sad to admit, but I stronly prefer "junk food" novels to literature. I'm hopelessly lazy when I read. I want to be entertained without thinking too much about life's big questions.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 31 comments I finished the book last night. :) It was a hard read due to the subject manner but overall a good book. I agree with Veronica that it was irritating that she knew Crow didn't do it, but didn't say anything. Perhaps she was so broken that she couldn't go there at all. I fluctuate with whether or not she knew all along who the perpetrators were. Part of me thinks she did know all along and chose not to say and the other part of me thinks she was too traumatized to remember their faces. Mostly, I think it was the latter. When it did come to her, it wasn't the big revelation that I thought it was going to be. I can't see Sophie and Crow building a relationship together after they've gone through some much. I'm hopeful but if I were her I would just want to move on from it. There would be so many painful memories associated with Crow.