Moms asylum discussion

Book Discussion: The Postmistress (chapter 1)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (aixaw) | 25 comments I was just reading and thought about discussing each chapter, because someone mentioned in the other thread that maybe doing it this way would be good.

Anyway, feel free to create another thread where more chapter are covered,a schedule of how to discuss or something. In the meantime, I was just gonna create a new thread as I read a new chapter, if no one else had any other ideas.

Too much?

message 2: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (aixaw) | 25 comments I gotta say, I'm a little confused with the narration so far. I think I'm slowly getting used to it.

I'm wondering if some women back in the 40s(or even now) really did that, get a certificated that proved their virginity. I guess no since the doc was so surprised as well.

Emma feeling so ashamed when her suitcase opened and her undies fell off reminded me when a package of pads fell off my backpack while camping with a study group in college, lol. You know everybody knows you use them, but having people seeing them out there in the open is something else. I cant only imagine how it was back then.

I didn't expect to see the woman (I believe her name was Fran?) that's first talking about the story so soon in the book. I wonder what role she'll play.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferhuston) | 32 comments Frankie - she is an American who is living in London and reporting about the war back to the States. I'm pretty sure she is a huge part of the book.

I get what you're saying about the narration though. I was a bit confused as well, but I think I am getting the rhythm of it now!

I don't know about Iris - she seems a bit neurotic - and I definitely don't think that its normal or even something that is done to get a certificate to prove that she is a virgin. I guess because she is 40 maybe her man didn't believe her? I dunno.
And at the beginning I thought that maybe I wasn't going to like Iris - she seemed too proper and maybe judgmental? But then she helped Emma with her suitcase.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim (hasrobcu) | 34 comments Yeah, the narration is odd, the way it switches back and forth. It's interesting, but really confusing. I think I'm on the 3rd chapter now, and it's a bit easier, but still...

And Iris definitely irks me. The "OMG, of course he's washing his hands because that stuff is gross" mentality is just weird. And the thought of the doctor examining her to prove her virginity is odd, since many women are born without hymens.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferhuston) | 32 comments Kim wrote: "Yeah, the narration is odd, the way it switches back and forth. It's interesting, but really confusing. I think I'm on the 3rd chapter now, and it's a bit easier, but still...

And Iris definitely ..."

Yeah I agree. But I guess we have to remember she is 40 so she was born in 1900 and she was probably raised that way. Although the subject of sex comes up with Emma reading Tolstoy and she seems a bit shocked that people would be having sex in the 19th century for the pleasure of it instead of just having babies.

message 6: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (aixaw) | 25 comments I didn't get that about Emma at first. I couldn't understand why she seemed so surprised about that line. I guess that even while I'm reading I keep forgetting the decade. Even with the war parts. As I read more, it'll stick in me.

message 7: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (aixaw) | 25 comments As I read, I was writing what I thought, stuff to remember, etc about each chapter separably in my itouch. I had the first 10 chapter and I dont know what happened, but it didn't save. Poop. I'm not doing it anymore. I hope I remember everything for when we discuss, but I think I will because I'm finally really into it.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim (hasrobcu) | 34 comments Yeah, I have a hard time noticing which chapter is which in the version I got. The formatting didn't come out right or something. So it was like, all of a sudden I was on chapter 10 without noticing I'd gone by 5 chapters.

I figure, if anything I can go back through each chapter as needed

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 7 comments I'm about halfway done and I'm just bored. Is it boring or am I imagining it?
I don't think it was usual to get a cert of virginity back then, but she's old (for that time period) so maybe she just wanted to cover all her bases. They still do those kind of examinations in a lot of eastern and middle eastern countries. Especially India. I wonder if there is more to it than just checking if the hymen is still intact. I'm sure there is.

message 10: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (aixaw) | 25 comments It is boring at parts. Then it got more interesting. Then...meh.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 7 comments I got halfway and then I returned it. I just couldn't force myself to finish it.

message 12: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (wwwgoodreadscomprofileluna) | 16 comments I've just finished the first chapter and have really been trying to get into this story but I just can't seem too. The characters are odd, but strike me as boring at the same time.
The writing reminds me of something I'd find in a fanfic, a lot of what I saw as purple prose. I'm going to push through and try to finish the story but I'm not thrilled with it right now. No wonder they had to add discussion points at the end!