readers advisory for all discussion

group suggestions

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
please, help advise me, too!

message 2: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal (kidsisyphus) Yay!

message 3: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! | 51 comments I motion that Esteban be struck from the group for his unhelpful exclamation!

message 4: by karen, future RA queen (new)

this is meant to be a public group, but until today, it was seeecret. but right now, it won't let me open it up. and on valentine's day!

message 5: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal (kidsisyphus) Yay!!!

message 6: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal (kidsisyphus) I recommend Eh?/! read a book on butts. Big butts, hairy butts, etc.

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg | 117 comments Wow, there are other people here!

message 8: by karen, future RA queen (new)

yes, and already the lunatics have taken over.

message 9: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal (kidsisyphus) I've moved! I'm over at the flagpole!

message 10: by karen, future RA queen (new)

yeah - i forgot to do that before i opened up the group. i have a picture, but it won't let me edit the group right now.

message 11: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Feb 14, 2011 05:13PM) (new)

Eh?Eh! | 51 comments karen! If you want to keep a certain topic at the top of a folder, like your "let's get to it" thread in the "so ask already!" folder:

-click on the folder from your group page
-click the "edit" to the right of the thread you want to feature
-select "mark this topic as important (it will be listed first)"

message 12: by karen, future RA queen (new)

oh man, thank you!! i love you ♥

message 13: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! | 51 comments Meet me at the flagpole ♥

message 14: by Flannery, html whiz (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:30PM) (new)

Flannery (flannabanana) | 63 comments Mod
As I was reading a lot of the suggestions, I wished they were clickable links. I'm not sure if everyone knows how to do the html (or how to utilize the 'add book/author' feature) but when the recommended books are presented that way, if you scan to the top of a thread, "books mentioned in this thread" are in a nice list on the side.

I only say this because the "funny but not quirky" RA thread is already 35 posts long and a lot of the recs are just in italics or regular text. If they were all in html links, if you read someone's initial query and agreed you could just look to the right side of your screen and see every recommendation without reading the entire thread.

Then again, maybe I'm just lazy...

message 15: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) That's a good thing to keep in mind, Flannery. I'm going to go change the one I've done.

message 16: by karen, future RA queen (new)

no that's great. i can go through and do this, if people don't know how...i can just add occasional, summarizing comments...

message 17: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments fuck I just did all my book links wrong. I might fix it later... or not.

message 18: by karen, future RA queen (new)

no - yours work! i may add them to the books you said you already liked, though, because it is kinda jumbly.

message 19: by Jasmine (last edited Feb 15, 2011 12:46PM) (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments I meant they are html so they don't show up on the side.
I can do that. maybe even the right way.

message 20: by karen, future RA queen (new)

wait - that means i did it wrong, too.
flannery, come school us, please!

message 21: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Did you use the "add book/author" button?

message 22: by karen, future RA queen (new)

i only know how to add books to the bookshelf foe the whole group - how do you add it to specific threads?? sorry i am a dope.

message 23: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I thought it happened automatically when you use the "add book/author button" in one of your posts. I might be wrong.

message 24: by Flannery, html whiz (last edited Feb 15, 2011 01:12PM) (new)

The easiest way to add books in a thread is to just hit the 'add book/author' option right above the text box when you are commenting. It triggers a pop-up box for you to search whatever book you want to mention and just click 'add.'

How are you writing the html? The easiest way to add books into a thread that way is to use [] and put 'book: whatever the title is' in between the brackets. That will work as well as long as the title is decipherable. Perhaps the problem was a generic title that could be several books? Like there is only one Confederacy of Dunces so I don't have to search but there are several Labyrinth results so when I wrote that html it reverts to a Percy Jackson book instead of the one I wanted (Labyrinth)

(I'm also just checking if my html shows up on the side now because I didn't use 'add book/author (which always shows up)) EDIT: all three of them show up so it doesn't matter if you use the aforementioned brackets or the 'add book/author' option.

message 25: by Flannery, html whiz (new)

I also though it would be helpful to try to do as often as possible because I imagine someone reading a query and thinking "Eureka! I know the perfect rec!" and then reading through tons of posts only to have their recommendation mentioned on page 4. Talk about squashed dreams:-)

message 26: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell karen, if you're asking how you can get other people's books on the side, I don't think you can since you can't edit their posts. You need to have them go back and redo them using the button.

message 27: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments [a href=www...] [/a]

message 28: by Flannery, html whiz (new)

It looks like a lot of people went back and changed theirs already. The 'rags to riches' thread is perfect right now.

We could do it without editing-- just write a comment that says 'Recommendations thus far:' and then just lists all of the books' I don't mind doing that in the threads already in action...

message 29: by Flannery, html whiz (new)

Ahhhh, that's why they don't show up on the side--those ones are links to websites rather than links to a specific book on the site. I'm sure you know that:-)

message 30: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments yeah she asked me to hyperlink them so I did.

message 31: by karen, future RA queen (new)

so many tips! i will go back and fix all of this in a few hours. i have never used the bracket-y html, so this is excellent advice, and i have never noticed the "add a book/author" because i am unbright. but this is all very helpful - thank you!

message 32: by Flannery, html whiz (new)

I updated the humorous sci-fi/fantasy thread so you(or anyone else) wouldn't have to update it. I'll do the super long one next.

message 33: by karen, future RA queen (new)

marry me.

message 34: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments well I did the list of books I wrote in my thread the right way so that doesn't have to be done.

message 35: by Kinga (new)

Kinga | 19 comments You know what would be really cool?

If I could tell you a song and you could find me a book that is like that song.

message 36: by karen, future RA queen (new)

that would be really fun. i don't know how it would work out, or what that would do to help out the future of RA, but hit me with it and i will try - i like a challenge...

message 37: by Kinga (new)

Kinga | 19 comments OK, i have a song. Where should I post it ?

message 38: by karen, future RA queen (new)

i made you a topic folder thing under the release valve section.

message 39: by Scott (new)

Scott Sheaffer (ponyride933) | 6 comments What shall we RA next?

message 40: by karen, future RA queen (new)

you mean as a group read?? have we exhausted our three men?? there are so many thing we can do - we can annotate more shelves, make and request more book matches, play more of the game greg invented.. the world is our RA oyster....

or anything else anyone wants to do - i am game for anything!

message 41: by karen, future RA queen (new)

perhaps. my only concern is that with that particular book and with those particular people, the discussion might stray from the RA goals and get all heated and not...productive.

message 42: by karen, future RA queen (new)

i think so, if you do it with style.

like this:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Some people do get pissy about authors rating their own books, though I do not understand why. I like when authors say something about the book they wrote, rather than just star-rating it.

message 45: by karen, future RA queen (new)

me, too. if an author has a personality i think is fun, then i am more inclined to trust in the quality of their writing.

message 46: by Buzz (new)

Buzz Malone | 1 comments Oh. I have a pick for the whole song to book idea. The song is "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly. Now you tell me what book is most like it! Now see...this really is fun, isn't it?!?! The Ghosts of Melrose