Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

All About Heroines > Smokers, drinkers, etc.....

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Feb 14, 2011 04:15AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments We started discussing heroines in another thread that smoke. I was wondering if this occurred more in historical or contemporary romance, and if certain authors included smoking in their novels more than others. I was also wondering what everyone elses thoughts were on smoking and/or hard drinking heroines. Thanks.

message 2: by Kit★ (last edited Feb 14, 2011 09:53AM) (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Hmm I mostly read historicals, and I think it's kinda rare to see the heroine drink (aside from a glass of wine or two which the hero usually uses in his seduction plans), and really rare to see them smoke. I would think it'd be more common in contemporaries. Personally it doesn't matter to me, though I do remember back when I was 21 I spent a couple days in jail for DUI and I read a Lisa Jackson book while in there where it seemed like all the characters smoked, and since I was a smoker myself back then, it kept annoying me, b/c everytime someone lit up I was wanting a cigarette that I couldn't have. Thankfully now though I've gotten rid of that smoking habit. Also, I think I would at least once like to see a historical where the heroine didn't come up coughing and spluttering with burning insides and running eyes from a sip of brandy.

message 3: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Kit said, "Also, I think I would at least once like to see a historical where the heroine didn't come up coughing and spluttering with burning insides and running eyes from a sip of brandy."

Too true!

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Kit wrote: "Hmm I mostly read historicals, and I think it's kinda rare to see the heroine drink (aside from a glass of wine or two which the hero usually uses in his seduction plans), and really rare to see th..."

I know what you mean!!! Just once I'd love to see a heroine sit back and relax with a stiff drink after kicking vampire/werewolf/demon/alien butt, instead of the coughing & sputtering bit too.

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 17, 2011 01:35AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments We were talking about smoking and I just had to post this Herman Cartoon, by Jim Unger. If you can't read it, she says "Think it will work?" It can be found at smokefreedom.net

Photobucket

message 6: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments LisaKay wrote: "We were talking about smoking and I just had to post this Herman Cartoon, by Jim Unger. If you can't read it, she says "Think it will work?" It can be found at smokefreedom.net"

ROFL where can I get one of those, I know a few people I'd put it on :D

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments LisaKay wrote: "We were talking about smoking and I just had to post this Herman Cartoon, by Jim Unger. If you can't read it, she says "Think it will work?" It can be found at smokefreedom.net

"

I love that!

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Vixen (Flappers, #1) by Jillian Larkin had smoking and drinking. It takes place during the 1920's/ flapper era.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Here's one with a hero that smokes:

Surviving Demon Island (Demon Hunters, #1) by Jaci Burton

message 10: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 361 comments There's a few of Nora Robert's stand alones that have smokers. Tucker Longstreet in Carnal Innocence keeps trying to quit.

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) More of the contemporaries have it than historical. But it depends on publishing dates too. 80's and even early 90's, but not so much anymore. It's rarer now to read it. And it's usual an older character in the book, not a main one.

Of course, this is all just conjecture, speculation, hypothesizing, etc on my part based on what I've read. Listen to me, all talking like I'm a pro or something. Ha ha!

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Apr 01, 2011 03:15PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Smoking was really frowned on for decades, even when women began to smoke. My wonderful, classy mother-in-law smoked (sadly, to her detriment); but, never in front of her mother. Even when she was in her sixties and her mother was in her eighties.

message 13: by Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (last edited Sep 05, 2015 08:49AM) (new)

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I have come across a few drinking heroines, but no smokers so far. Heroes, however, are often depicted as drinkers AND smokers in the novels I read. They don't do it all the time though. Usually it's a celebratory cigar.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments If I remember correctly, Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2) by Laura Lee Guhrke - the heroine smokes.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) The heroine in The Anatomy of Death (Dr Dody McCleland, #1) by Felicity Young smokes. It was a bit off-putting but I go over it.

message 16: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 12 comments I've shied away so far, as smoking in the UK has been demonised of late. I was a bit scared people may slam me for promoting such an evil 'pasttime'. ;-/

But being British, a fair few of my characters frequent pubs or drink wine.

Maybe I'll pluck up the courage in my next book? It would be good to at least have "a heroine sit back and relax with a stiff drink after kicking vampire/werewolf/demon/alien butt, instead of the coughing & sputtering bit too." as Michelle said. :-)

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) T.L. wrote: I've shied away so far, as smoking in the UK has been demonised of late. I was a bit scared people may slam me for promoting such an evil 'pasttime'. ;-/ "

To be honest, I would not read a book set in modern times with a heroine who smokes. The book I mentioned is set at the turn of the century when the ills of smoking were not widely known, so it is understandable and realistic that the heroine would smoke.

Today, however, the evidence is indisputable that smoking kills and I would not read a book set in the 21st century that promotes it, even if indirectly.

message 18: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Sep 08, 2015 11:30AM) (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I wouldn't mind a heroine that smokes but is trying to stop, as long as its realistic. None of that "magic sex" that eliminates her cravings for a smoke...

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Gisela wrote: "I wouldn't mind a heroine that smokes but is trying to stop, as long as its realistic. None of that "magic sex" that eliminates her cravings for a smoke..."

**gigglesnort**

message 20: by Bob (new)

Bob Authors whose heroines were usually smokers (back in the '60s- 80s) include:
Anne Mather:
-The Arrogant Duke
- Charlotte's Hurricane
- Lord of Zaracus
- Masquerade
- The Sanchez Tradition
- Who Rides the Tiger
- Storm in a Rain Barrel
- The Legend of Lexandros
- Seen by Candlelight
- The Arrogance of Love
Julie Wellsley:
- Climb the Dark Mountain
- Stranger in a Dark Land
Dorothy Fletcher:
- The Brand Inheritance
- Farewell to Vienna
Kerry Allyne
- Bound for Marandoo
- Tuesday's Jillaroo
- The Wool King
Jane Blackmore (most of her books)
Elsie Lee
Mary Stewart
Alice Brennan
Susan Howatch
Charlotte Hunt
June Wetherell
Margery Hilton

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thanks, Bob.