Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Tales to Chill Your Blood Reads > Jikininki by Lafcadio Hearn Group Discussion (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Feb 13, 2011 06:52PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
This week's story is Jikininki by Lafcadio Hearn:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1210/1...

This story is part of the Kwaidan collection, which is free on Project Gutenberg and available for cheap on Kindle.

Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 325 comments Mod
I was skeptical at first of the shortness of this story, I admit. But I loved it! It kind of reminds me of our earlier read, The Ghoul. Short and nasty. I am mostly unaware of most Eastern folklore, but I love that which I've learned online and through movies. I will have to get the Kwaidan collection, as I'd prefer to read a paper book if I can.

I can kind of agree with the sentiment of leaving the house when there's a body in it. I've heard such in other stories (and the opposite, where someone has to keep vigil overnight) and I do find these traditions fascinating and creepy. If I could help it, there's no way I'd want to be in the room with a dead human being overnight!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
Martha, I do agree with you that this one was short but delightfully creepy. It read like a folktale, and I do so love the dark folktales. I can't wait to read more of these stories. I think you can pick this one up for fairly cheap in print if you so wish.

message 4: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Benson | 10 comments I agree that this read just like a folktale and was an enjoyable few minutes read.( And I only ever seem to get snippets of time anyway!) I do particular like Japanese folklore though and had a quick browse for this particular supernatural creature afterwards. It was just like the ancient "sin eating" customs we used to practice in the UK, which has long since been forgotten now.

message 5: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 122 comments I ordered the Kwaidan collection from inter loan library system so i hope to read this and join you guys for the talk.

I did the same with Pickman Model in a HP Lovecraft collection.

Nice choices with easily found authors.

Glad you're joining us, Mohammed!

message 7: by J (new)

J (blkdoggy) Loved it!!!

message 8: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 122 comments I read it last night and i didnt know either it was short like few pages. But still he managed build a nice,creepy atmosphere in few pages. Good ghost story.

Since i have the whole Kwaidan collection i read the first story after i read this one. It being 15 pages long felt like a nice long novella in comparison.

I have a couple of collections by him. Looking forward to reading more of his stories, Mohammed.

message 10: by Mohammed (last edited Mar 11, 2011 08:31AM) (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 122 comments He has good clean prose and he can his historical japan,culture which makes the stories a very good read along with the weird,ghostly stories.

Very true!