Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Archives > March BOM - Chimera by Rob Thurman

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Feb 16, 2011 09:31AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore TBA

Nominations

1.Primary Inversion by Catherine Asaro
2.Prime Obsession by Monette Michaels
3.Chimera by Rob Thurman

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Feb 13, 2011 07:06PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore Your nominations for the March group read are welcome at any time. We'll be accepting nominations until the 20th, and then we'll poll the group, and announce the winner on the 25th, thanks!

message 3: by Canoe (new)

Canoe | 41 comments Is there a list somewhere of books that have already gone through a group read?

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Argh! Thoughtless of me! I added a group reads shelf for a list of past reads. :)

message 5: by Canoe (new)

Canoe | 41 comments Thanks! You know, I was looking there and completely didn't see it.

A lot of people my have read this one already, but I'll nominate Primary Inversion

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Canoeu wrote: "Thanks! You know, I was looking there and completely didn't see it.

A lot of people my have read this one already, but I'll nominate Primary Inversion"

I've added this one to the list. I've never read it, and it looks interesting. I just reserved a copy just in case it wins.

message 7: by Canoe (new)

Canoe | 41 comments I think you can get it for free from the Baen Free Ebook library.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Canoeu wrote: "I think you can get it for free from the Baen Free Ebook library."

Thanks for the info. I'll go check it out now :)

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Canoeu wrote: "I think you can get it for free from the Baen Free Ebook library."

I just got an free ebook copy of Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1) by Catherine Asaro . Thanks for for tip Canoeu. I'm going back on that site to look for more free ebooks. You've created a monster!

message 10: by Canoe (new)

Canoe | 41 comments LOL. I know the feeling. :)

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) Prime Obsession Prime Obsession (The Prime Chronicles, #1) by Monette Michaels

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Nichole wrote: "Prime ObsessionPrime Obsession (The Prime Chronicles, #1) by Monette Michaels"

This one looks good too!!

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I'd like to nominate Chimera (Chimera, #1) by Rob Thurman

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Only 3?

message 15: by Ella (last edited Feb 23, 2011 10:28AM) (new)

Ella Drake (elladrake) | 26 comments I'll nominate Badlands, which I intend on reading as soon as it releases!
Badlands by Seleste deLaney

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Ella wrote: "I'll nominate Badlands, which I intend on reading as soon as it releases!
Badlands by Seleste deLaney"

Hey Ella, thie poll for the group read for March went up on the 21st. I don't mind adding it to the current poll if no one else minds, since we only had 3 books nominated. Or, do you want to do a buddy read sort of thing? I'll probably by Badlands too. Let me know :)

message 17: by Ella (new)

Ella Drake (elladrake) | 26 comments How did I miss the poll? Sorry. Last few days have been a blur! Either way is fine for me. I've already pre-ordered it so I'll be reading it anyway.

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Ella wrote: "How did I miss the poll? Sorry. Last few days have been a blur! Either way is fine for me. I've already pre-ordered it so I'll be reading it anyway."

No worries :)

message 19: by Canoe (new)

Canoe | 41 comments Is there any romance in Chimera? It looks really interesting, but I was wondering about that aspect.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Canoeu wrote: "Is there any romance in Chimera? It looks really interesting, but I was wondering about that aspect."

I just re-read the synopsis, and there doesn't appear to be any romance in it.

NebulousGloom (FK) (nebulousgloom) | 30 comments Yeah, I couldn't figure out why Chimera was on the list, since the summary doesn't seem like a romance at all.

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Felicia wrote: "Yeah, I couldn't figure out why Chimera was on the list, since the summary doesn't seem like a romance at all."

Well, I just wanted to give us some other books to vote on since there were only two. I don't know why, with all the SFR's out there, my mind blank and I couldn't think of any. Now, I can think of at least 10 others that I could've nominated!

message 23: by Canoe (new)

Canoe | 41 comments I have no problem with it. I was just wondering. I like the idea that every now and again we throw out a different genre or a fantasy romance. Obvisously others agree since it is winning right now. :)

On the other hand, if it wins I'll have to think about wanting to join in on the discussion because I am really craving an sfr...maybe I will come in late to the discussion. It is a monthly read afterall. :)

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Canoeu wrote: "I have no problem with it. I was just wondering. I like the idea that every now and again we throw out a different genre or a fantasy romance. Obvisously others agree since it is winning right now..."

No worries. I'm always late to the discussion. I've been reading really slow lately, and probably post on our current group read sometime tonight.

message 25: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) All these books are good reads. I would like to go with chimera b/c I have the book already and I am trying to curb my book spending. However this is sci-fi right so I am nominating Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1) by Catherine Asaro ;

I thank everyone for putting up three very tempting books that are now on my to read list.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore And the winner is :

Chimera by Rob Thurman!

Chimera (Chimera, #1) by Rob Thurman

message 27: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 96 comments Chimera looks very interesting. I'll tell my husband about it since he reads more straight sci-fi than I do. I'll pass this month simply because I have so much to read already. I own Primary Inversion (in print and audio) so I'll probably go ahead and read that sometime this month. But I look forward to everyone's thoughts on Chimera.

message 28: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Feel free to start a thread for Primary Inversion too. I might read that too. :)

message 29: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I really enjoyed Primary Inversion. I got attached to Soz right off. Course, I also like the physics and the weapons, space ships and worldbuilding in this series.

I remember reading PI and going out to buy as much of the series as I could find right away. LOL.

message 30: by Hilcia (new)

Hilcia | 21 comments Anyone reading this book yet? I just purchased it.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Hilcia wrote: "Anyone reading this book yet? I just purchased it."

I'll be starting it this weekend :)

message 32: by Hilcia (new)

Hilcia | 21 comments Thanks Michelle. I began reading it this week and should be done with it soon.

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Hilcia wrote: "Thanks Michelle. I began reading it this week and should be done with it soon."

Ok. So I started reading this one, and I'm enjoying it so far. I didn't realize that its written in first person when I bought it, but I'm ok with that. I'm running out to get some coffee, and then I'll get back to reading, LOL!

What's everyone else thinking so far?

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I've slowed down on my reading this month, so I haven't picked this one up since last Saturday. Now, I'm finding that it's a little hard to get into. I need romance!

message 35: by Hilcia (last edited Mar 19, 2011 02:51PM) (new)

Hilcia | 21 comments Michelle, I finished this book last week. If you want romance you won't get it in this book. This is more of a bro-mance, lol! You'll find lots of action with enough futuristic details to place it in the sci-fi category, but it's more contemporary.

The book itself is really good when it comes to action, and I love the building relationship between Michael and Stefan. Thurman does a great job with depicting male bonding -- I've read her other series and this reminds me of the brotherly relationship there.

However although I enjoyed this story for its good points -- and there are many -- and there are futuristic aspects to this story, there's no way I would place it in the SFR category. Let me know what you think after you read it.