Opera: The Extravagant Art discussion

Opera on Film, TV, and HD > Live on HD/Metropolitan Opera in HD

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
Just thought I'd start a thread on the Metropolitan Opera/other opera companies in the cinema/Live in HD/PBS. I see Nixon in China and Carmen (in theatres) are upcoming.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 3 comments The Met's Live in HD series is how I was introduced to opera. I first saw Aida in October of 2009 and was enchanted by the spectacle of it all. I have since watched several other live transmissions in the movie theater and use the MetPlayer often (I've seen over 50 operas this way). One of my favorite aspects of the transmissions is the unique opportunity of actually seeing backstage during intermissions and watching the set changes take place. For me that's all part of the intrigue - how the spectacle is made to happen. The Met has listed their 2011-2012 transmission schedule at http://www.metoperafamily.org/metoper.... I'm excited to see a few up there I haven't seen yet such as Anna Bolena and Faust.

message 3: by Rosie (new)

Rosie (bookedtoread) | 5 comments Yes they have a wonderful year scheduled. I'll also be seeing Aida in Chicago this year and several other classics! Very good season for Opera - 2011-2012!

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
Metropolitan Opera is slated to show new Rigoletto production Sunday (5/19). Check local listings.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) I love how they have Met Opera On Demand. It's where I watch all of their videos because I'm always busy on the days that they have the Live in HD performances...

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 82 comments Mod
The Met televised Verdi's Otello recently. has anyone read reactions to not portray Otello as an African Moor? Or what were your thoughts?

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 3 comments (Note: I am responding more from a view of Shakespeare's work than that of Verdi/Boito's.) From a textual point of view I think removing the idea of Othello as a Moor thereby removes or downplays some interesting thematic ideas. The play is titled The Tragedy of Othello the Moor of Venice. It is interesting and significant that Shakespeare chooses to point out Othello's ethnicity and nationality in the title. It brings up ideas of being accepted in a society versus being seen as an outsider.

Ideas of identity and how others see us are thematically at the core of this text and Othello being portrayed as a Moor (and treated as such including lots of racist epithets used toward him) bring out these ideas. I think there is a significant loss if Othello is not portrayed as the Moor Shakespeare intended him to be.