The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > The March Group Reads ARE....

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10089 comments Mod
Please read the rules for nominating BEFORE you create your post!! And check our bookshelves to be sure you are not nominating something we have already read as a group!

In Honor of St Patrick's Day:

We will have two catagories this month:
Cat1- Regular Fiction/Non-Fiction
Cat2- Irish Themed or written by an Irish author

Only ONE nomination per person.
If you nominate a book for catagory 1, you CANNOT nominate a book for catagory 2, and visa versa.

Please be sure to post the title, author, and the catagory it belongs to.

If your post does not have those three things, it will not be counted.

Are you ready?

I will accept nominations through Wednesday afternoon. If we get tons of nominations, I may pull the plug on it a little early, so get them in as soon as you can!

Once I close nominations I will create the polls and let you know when it is time to vote!

Hit us with your best noms!

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie I nominate for Category 2:
The Sea by John Banville

message 3: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Cat 2: Faithful Place by Tana French

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Category 2
Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly

message 6: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 13, 2011 06:02PM) (new)

Jennifer (pearlady) | 45 comments what about for Cat. 2...
Room by Emma Donoghue

(saw it on several TBR lists for group members ~s~)

message 7: by Westiemom (new)

Westiemom | 35 comments Cat.2: Darling Jim by Christian Moerk

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol Cat 1:The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (granuaille) Cat 2: Let the Great World Spin by Column McCann

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) Natalie wrote: "I nominate for Category 2:
The Sea by John Banville"

Loved the Sea, very beautiful!

message 13: by Joanie (last edited Feb 14, 2011 01:08PM) (new)

Joanie | 714 comments Cat 2 In the Woods by Tana French

This is the first in the series Faithful Place is #3. Thought we might want to read this one first (unless we already have, in which case ignore me!)

message 14: by tiasreads (new)

tiasreads For Category 2, The Lace Makers of Glenmara: A Novel, by Heather Barbieri.

message 15: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Joanie wrote: "Cat 2 In the Woods by Tana French

This is the first in the series Faithful Place is #3. Thought we might want to read this one first (unless we already have, in which case ignore me!)"

I thought about it Joanie - I got my F2F book club to read In The Woods last year (an amazing book, I think) but most people hated it. I thought that Faithful Place might be more of a "fan favorite" and could also stand alone. I'd be happy if In The Woods won though!

message 16: by Laura (last edited Feb 15, 2011 09:20AM) (new)

Laura Category 1, My Life in France by Julia Child.

I love watching old Julia Child cooking shows and LOVED Julie and Julia so asked for this book for Christmas. I'm really looking forward to cracking it open. Interested in reading it too?!

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane (readergirl235) Category 2: A Good Man is Hard to Find and other stories, by Flannery O'Connor

message 18: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments Catie wrote: "Joanie wrote: "Cat 2 In the Woods by Tana French

This is the first in the series Faithful Place is #3. Thought we might want to read this one first (unless we already have, in which case ignore ..."

If it can stand alone then I think we'd be fine either way. I just started In the Woods and am enjoying it so far but didn't know how much one book built on the other. Hopefully one of them will win! :-)

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments Cat. 2: Trinity by Leon Uris

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (thisoilfieldwife) | 134 comments For Cat. 2 I nominate Firefly Summer by Maeve Binchy.

message 21: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 173 comments Cat 2: The Gathering by Anne Enright

The Gathering by Anne Enright

message 22: by Dani (last edited Feb 16, 2011 03:07PM) (new)

Dani (The Pluviophile Writer) (pluviophilewriter) | 237 comments Gitte wrote: "Natalie wrote: "I nominate for Category 2:
The Sea by John Banville"

Loved the Sea, very beautiful!"

I unfortunately hated The Sea. Beautifully written yes, but I did not find the story all that captivating.

message 24: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Here's what we have:

Cat1
The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York - Deborah Blum
The Street of a Thousand Blossoms - Gail Tsukiyama
The House on Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros
City of Thieves - David Benioff
My Life in France - Julia Child
Troll: A Love Story - Johanna Sinisalo

Cat2
The Sea - John Banville
Galway Bay - Mary Pat Kelly
Faithful Place - Tana French
Room - Emma Donoghue
Darling Jim - Christian Moerk
Let the Great World Spin - Column McCann
In the Woods - Tana French
The Lace Makers of Glenmara - Heather Barbieri
A Good Man is Hard to Find and other stories - Flannery O'Connor
Trinity - Leon Uris
Firefly Summer - Maeve Binchy
The Gathering - Anne Enright

Polls will go up shortly. Nominations have ended. Wait for me to post here that the polls are open before attempting to vote!!

message 25: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Feb 16, 2011 04:30PM) (new)

Ok guys, Polls are open!!!

You can vote from now until Sunday. The books with the most votes will be announced on Sunday.....

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/12...

message 26: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Ok - here are the winners for the March Group Read:

Reg Fic: THE HOUSE ON MANGO STREET

Irish Theme: There was a tie!
ROOM and LET THE GREAT WORLD SPIN

You can choose to read one, two, or all three!!!

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments ohh goodie! i just requested the audiobook of Room from the Library the other day for a different challenge...the sample really intrigued me since its the voice of Jack for the most part

message 28: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

THough I didn't do the audio, the book is just simply awesome!!!! I hope you like it!

message 29: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I have the audiobook too, Dee! I'm looking forward to it.

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments just the 3 minute sample I listened to convinced me...i'm very picky about my narrators

message 31: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I just got it from the library a while ago. One of the people on my audiobook group said that the little boy uses language/words that are more advanced than what a four year old would use (she mentioned that she has a 4 year old). I have a five year old, so I wonder what I will think about it? Look forward to discussing it!

message 32: by Dee (last edited Feb 21, 2011 05:37AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments i'm hoping my copy will come in tomorrow...but kids in isolation who have the dedicated attention of a parent may be more advanced - think of Jack in the robin williams film who had that weird genetic disease and Brendan Fraser in Blast from the Past...there have been studies done that show 2nd and 3rd graders can critically read books if they are taught how and yet it is something that we don't teach them until late middle school/high school

message 33: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yes, I can see how that would happen. It should be interesting!

message 34: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 2 comments Cat 1: Troll: A Love Story by Johanna Sinisalo

message 35: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Tarama.. nominations and voting are over. If you read the title of the thread, and the comments posted here, you will see we already have our winners for March.

message 36: by Krys (new)

Krys Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "...but kids in isolation who have the dedicated attention of a parent may be more advanced - think of Jack in the robin williams film who had that weird gene..."

Yup. Or kids surrounded almost entirely by older family members. My youngest brother is 8 years younger than any other member of my family (12 yrs younger than me), and he's always had a really advanced vocabulary because of it.

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments good point...I just remembered the critical reading one because I wrote a paper on it for grad school in psychology of learning, about how utilizing scaffolding theories, you can develop skills that most people would deem more advanced...its like understanding why little kids can be chatting in English and spanish (for example) while Adults struggle to learn

message 38: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) My best friend recommended Room to me a couple weeks ago and I read it in two days. It's so good. I don't want to give spoilers away, but I'll happily re-read it. Haven't read the other two though, so I'm looking forward to them!

message 39: by Krys (last edited Feb 25, 2011 08:55AM) (new)

Krys ooh. That's pretty cool. I hadn't ever heard of scaffolding until you brought it up and have been reading a little about it. (Just on wikipedia thus far. I usually start there and then branch out to other sources when I'm interested in something.) It's pretty interesting ... and sounds somewhat akin to the stuff my parents did with me as a kid (I was homeschooled).

Are there any good sources that you would suggest to learn more about this stuff?

message 40: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments ummm, i can take a look at some of my stuff - i use google scholar quite a bit...i think the guys name is Vygotsky (or something similar) and he did quite a bit of the initial research on it

message 41: by Krys (new)

Krys Vygotsky is mentioned in the Wikipedia article I read. I'll just start with him and work out from there. Thanks!