The Book Cellar discussion

Staff Selections > Mike's February Picks

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chance (new)

Chance Lee (mrchance) | 42 comments Mod
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley Brave New World
The great dystopian novel that is slowly coming true. The eerie devolution of the wildness in mankind through prescribed happiness--content people never rebel.

message 2: by Chance (new)

The Wild Muir Twenty-Two of John Muir's Greatest Adventures by John Muir The Wild Muir
Get in touch with nature through the great John Muir, the man who founded America's National Park system. Great short stories for finding man's relation to his habitat.

message 3: by Chance (new)

Lafcadio, The Lion Who Shot Back by Shel Silverstein Lafcadio, The Lion Who Shot Back
A great existential piece by the beloved children's poet, Shel Silverstein. While short & sweet, the book takes a dark look into man's soul as he strays from his animal roots. The civilized man is caught at a crossroads and he's not sure who he is.

message 4: by Chance (new)

Generation of Swine Tales of Shame & Degradation in the '80's by Hunter S. Thompson Generation of Swine
Gonzo is at it again, tearing down the curtain of the Reagan years to expose all. Short essays on everything from disciplining wayward teens to the Reagan-meister himself make this book funny, serious, and perhaps a necessary read.

message 5: by Emma (last edited Mar 03, 2011 12:21PM) (new)

Emma (empendleton) | 19 comments Mod
Chance wrote: "The Wild Muir Twenty-Two of John Muir's Greatest Adventures by John Muir The Wild Muir
Get in touch with nature through the great John Muir, the man who founded America's National Park syste..."

I bought this right out of your picks display. I also have "My First Summer in the Sierra" by Muir to read.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Chance wrote: "Lafcadio, The Lion Who Shot Back by Shel Silverstein Lafcadio, The Lion Who Shot Back
A great existential piece by the beloved children's poet, Shel Silverstein. While short & sweet, the book takes a..."

Somebody come in and love Lafcadio. It is just soooo good for people (and lions) of all ages.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Chance wrote: "Generation of Swine Tales of Shame & Degradation in the '80's by Hunter S. Thompson Generation of Swine
Gonzo is at it again, tearing down the curtain of the Reagan years to expose all. Short essays o..."

Read it, loved it, livin' it. HST is my hero.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Chance wrote: "Brave New World by Aldous Huxley Brave New World
The great dystopian novel that is slowly coming true. The eerie devolution of the wildness in mankind through prescribed happiness--content people ..."

Ooh, I have not read this one, now I want to.