Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Love this new author! Just Love her books!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (last edited Feb 18, 2011 05:18PM) (new)

Patricia (patricicajuste) | 2 comments "Make ready your mind"...Mystic Deja is an incredibly warm and fantastical journey that speaks to he heart of all. I really, really, really enjoyed it! I recommend this book to any person at any age.

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Gonzalez | 1 comments Yes, I have read her books, and I'll be the first one to tell you that she is an awesome writer, that people just don't know about. It's a shame, because I think she is one of the best YA writers I have ever read.

message 3: by ☼Bookish (last edited Feb 20, 2011 02:32PM) (new)

☼Bookish in Virginia☼  (ren_t) Too bad there's no excerpts anywhere. I've really been burned by self-published stuff and won't buy unless I can read a bit first. Especially when they demand so much money.

message 4: by ☼Bookish (new)

☼Bookish in Virginia☼  (ren_t) Duh! How stupid of me. All of you joined this month. And I guess, all of you are Tina the author.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments That's kind of hilarious. Stuff like this guarantees that I won't buy the book or anything else by the author.

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patricicajuste) | 2 comments MESSAGE TO PAM AND CASSI:

you're wrong! on her website and on amazon you can find excerpts of her book and download a pdf of chapter 1 of mystic deja on mysticdeja.com. i am DEFINITELY not the author i just really like fantasy, unique, interesting and most importantly, DIFFERENT points of view of storytelling. why don't you actually read something of hers and i'm sure you'll love it! just so you know i'm patricia cajuste and i'm a model/actor who lives in new york and am NOT the author...

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Every person who has reviewed her book joined in 2011. While you may not be the author you're someone who is trying to promote her book--either a friend or something of that nature. What you're doing is still unethical and dishonest.

message 8: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Wait someone is just reviewing their own work?

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Its different accounts. But they all joined in February 2011 and all gave it a 5 star rating because apparently its BEST EVER even though its a self published work. Its all just very suspicious and odd. Not to mention the reviews sound completely fake.

message 10: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I'm a self published author, and that's really upsetting that someone feels the need to do that, just network reviews will come when they come.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I think I would be receptive if someone came here and said "My friend just published this book independently and I really enjoyed it..." went that route because its honest. But when someone tries to circumvent that and doesn't even do it intelligently I find it obnoxious.

Even when I like books there are negative points and flaws in reviews. This is just poorly done self-promo. If you want people to review your work send out a few galleys and let the reviews be honest.

(I've been trying if I can report these users for spam/dishonesty but can't find a way)

message 12: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Yeah same I would understand that, I know my friends do that when talking to people or try to embrass me. I sent mine out to blogs, yeah they sometimes change their mind, but with writing you just got to be able to pick and go what you can when you cut corners it doesn't look good, like self review many times. I'd help you but I don't know how

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments It's okay. I just have a very strong sense of honesty and sketchy tactics bother me. Maybe it's because I studied journalism and the ethics stuck with me even if that's not my career.

message 14: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Same I'm pretty stick to honesty or why bother, your word is who you are. Hey it's good that there are other people sticking to ethics out there!!

message 15: by ☼Bookish (last edited Feb 23, 2011 10:38AM) (new)

☼Bookish in Virginia☼  (ren_t) Cassi wrote: "I think I would be receptive if someone came here and said "My friend just published this book independently and I really enjoyed it..." went that route because its honest. But when someone tries ..."

Absolutely, Cassi, the friendly approach works. I mean it's not like we don't like books here and aren't open to suggestions from lots of different places.

BUT when I see anything suspicious, my reaction (which I think is probably a normal human reaction) is 'this book must be just awful because they can't get anyone to read it without shilling it.'

==========

PATRICIA!

So impressed. "(member since Feb 18, 2011)"

and your first post was on the same day about this 'fantastic book' which you "recommend ...to any person at any age." (I'll be sure to tell my 8 year-old son)

And your other post was today. About this book!!!

Really, sorry to be snarky, and instead I'll try to be more adult and constructive. You should try to get the book listed with Netgalley. It would give you the reviews you need to get more visibility and the author would make friends in the process. (Netgalley lets people read a pdf version of the book. After a certain length of time, the book becomes unavailable.)

message 16: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Where and how does Netgalley work? I hadn't heard of it before

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I've only used netgalley as a reader--but as an author I'm not sure how it works. The books are listed and if people are interested they can request them.

What got me about the book reviews is that THEY LOVE THEM AND THEY HAVE NO FLAWS with lots of extra exclamation points to boot. And they're horribly written reviews that all try to say the same thing in different ways. Thus there is no way in hades I would read a book written by the person who wrote those reviews. Even when you think a book is great you often find flaws with it. Example my review of Unwind (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...) which I really enjoyed, immediately followed the author on twitter and added the sequel to my goodreads. Unwind is a excellent! But not perfect (Melina Marchetta is the only author I can think of who comes close to perfect).

If they couldn't get on netgalley they could probably just message/email a few people who do reviews. People will smaller blogs would probably be willing to give a book a chance--but then you're opening yourself up to their HONEST opinions which is what I think the author is trying to avoid. I flagged the reviews but they were cleared by goodreads. *sigh*

message 18: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Okay maybe I'll look into that later on. I think unwind is on my list to read. Blogs are hard to find I had 3 people offer and all 3 changed their mind, but I accepted that they were honest and didn't feel it was a right fit for them and didn't want me to get a bad review for that. That author though has to realize that yeah bad reviews suck and yeah your story is your baby, but it takes time and patientce.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I'd try some of your goodread friends. There are some people in this group that have blogs. Mine is kind of pathetically underused and I only think my best friend reads it regularly.

message 20: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Haha oh same here I feel like I'm talking to myself.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I thought no one read it but at least my best friend does. I checked stats yesterday and I think 9 people read it. But I just started trying to keep it up to date around December when we got better internet and in January I was sick for a couple of weeks and got distracted.

Whats funny is my best friend doesn't even comment. I just found out because I was whining on twitter.

message 22: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Hahaha I know my close friends do not because they don't blog but I find random comments every once in awhile

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Whoever looks at my blog are completely lurkers. Aside from BFF no clue. Probably twitter people.

message 24: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I never set up a twitter, does it really help you think?

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I'm a twitter fanatic circa August 2008. I love it. I don't know that I "use" twitter than well. I have so many hobbies and they almost change seasonally that people hear about everything from writing to UK basketball. But I really like following authors, following agents, following people with similar interests. Its a way to see who they are as people (and sometimes it fits perfectly with their books).

Twitter is so different from facebook. Whereas facebook is all about friends and people you know, twitter is about people with similar interests. I think if you have a blog that you want to promote twitter is very useful--but you can't just use twitter to promote but as a conversation tool.

message 26: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Okay I'll have to think about if i want to open that door or not

message 27: by ☼Bookish (new)

☼Bookish in Virginia☼  (ren_t) Ottilie wrote: "Okay I'll have to think about if i want to open that door or not"

Ottilie, I think Twitter's a great way of finding people with like interests. Our traffic doubled after we started using it. But we do have a relatively narrow focus --kidlit -- rather than a blog on a wide swath of topics.

You can always try it and see.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments There are also regular chats with authors/agents that are a lot of fun to participate in. One is #YAlitchat and there is also a kids lit chat.

Honestly I think twitter would be for your benefit as a writer.

message 29: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Okay i'll look into it, I have spring break coming up next weekend