The Sword and Laser discussion

Shadow & Claw (The Book of the New Sun #1-2)
This topic is about Shadow & Claw
2011 Reads > S&C: A Rock Video Tribute to The Shadow of the Torturer

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lepton | 176 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqY0dC...

Yikes! Unintentionally funny to be sure.

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 490 comments awesome! i turned it all the way up to eleven...

message 3: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Haha, good lord!

The clock-wise video swipe with the sword was the best...

message 4: by Tamahome (last edited Feb 13, 2011 01:51PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6256 comments They can shred. Prog rock and fantasy go together like hot apple pie and ice cream. Here's another Wolfe-inspired song, but it's more singer-songwriter-y:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80JrlY...

I know Kevin J. Anderson has a prog rock band called 'Roswell Six', but I didn't see any good videos.

message 5: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Damn, these songs are spoiler-y, just to warn new readers. ;)

Hey, I have the same keyboard as the guy in the 2nd video.

message 6: by aldenoneil (last edited Feb 14, 2011 08:42AM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Fantasy epic as silent film. This is the sort of thing I'd have expected to see circa 1996 at 2:30am on public access. YouTube is truly a gift to us all.

I wonder how many takes it took to get that sword swipe exactly right.

message 7: by Jared (last edited Feb 17, 2011 05:51AM) (new)

Jared (jared_king) | 51 comments WOW

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments aldenoneil wrote: "This is the sort of thing I'd have expected to see circa 1996 at 2:30am on public access. YouTube is truly a gift to us all."

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I was waiting until I had finished the book before watching these videos because I didn't want any spoilers and I forgot about it until now. Anyway I kind of wish I had just watched them right away because that turned out to be an anticlimax of epic proportions.

message 9: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorry, it was mostly the 'What happens to Thecla?' part in the first video that I thought could be spoiler-y if you hadn't gotten that far yet. ;)

message 10: by Tamahome (last edited Mar 25, 2011 09:54PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6256 comments Here's a scene from towards the beginning of Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star (first arrival on Mars). Except Isaac is actually black in the book (but it's not described right away).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q6OOn...

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments I do appreciate the spoiler warnings. I think I was just expecting something... oh I don't know, different, and by different I mean better. Perhaps my Youtube standards have gotten too high. Maybe if I try and find some really bad videos it'll make these videos seem a lot better.

message 12: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I enjoyed the first as a cheez-imbued Access TV take on the book, and I actually liked the second as a song, except for the keyboard diddlings. ;)

message 13: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan What I liked about the first one was I felt like I could tell it was bad right away, so anything that I enjoyed about it at all was a bonus. It was... stunningly cheesy. But I'm pretty sure no one else will be adapting the book in any form, which makes the video pretty unique.

I disliked the second one pretty quickly, and then it won me over. I never heard of that guy before, but I snooped around through a few of his other songs and they're kind of fun.