Photography discussion

Do you shoot film or digital?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin I still love film, just cannot explain why other than I was brought up as a child shooting. but I use digital now. Nikons rule our home!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Warot (--mike--) | 3 comments I've tried film a few times... it's wickedly expensive and slow, and the trade off isn't worth it in terms of resolution any more.

The fact that you can get a 13.5 Megapixel camera for $500 really spells the end of the popular use of film. Of course there will always be an artistic niche to be filled, just as there is for cyanotype, palladium or platinum prints, etc.

It's more fun to combine exposures as well... here's one of our daughter walking in the park.

Virginia walks with ball and flower

Doing it with film is certainly possible, but I did it without a tripod, on the spur of the moment (which is about the only way to photography a child).

I feel some regret at not going film, but not a whole lot... life is short, and digital makes it easier most of the time.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (runawaymarbles) | 15 comments I like digital,too. Same reason.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt B. | 2 comments I still shoot film, mostly for B&W. Doing a proper job of converting a digital image to B&W is a little harder than clicking on a couple of buttons, so sometimes for special occasions I'll use film. Digital cams are just now beginning to demonstrate dynamic range comparable to film.

It is also hard to emulate the 'look' of some slide films in digital, too.

All that said, film is much more expensive than digital, so digital has become my primary kind of photography.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy (runawaymarbles) | 15 comments Yah. I GOT A MACRO LENS! *does happy dance*

message 6: by Luciano (new)

Luciano (luciano151) | 2 comments Hello everyone, I'm new to the group. I shot conventional film for years, but just could not handle the cost of souping slides, especially in situations where I was push processing. I went to digital in 2004 and have never looked back. I still have my trusty Nikon 8008s, but it is basically just gathering dust. I'm not sure if I would even know how to load film in it now. lol.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy (runawaymarbles) | 15 comments lol

message 8: by Keith (new)

Keith Zudell (jkeithzudell) | 2 comments I shoot both film for B&W Digital for color I like the ISO speed of the D300.

message 9: by banner (new)

banner | 2 comments digital its more efficiant

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia I use digital more often but a picture is more memorable when it is film! I use a little bit of both!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I work mainly with digital. I recently broke my canon rebel xti (which I had for a very long time) and just recently purchased my canon rebel xsi. In terms of film I use my mom's very old pentax which works well

message 12: by Humberto (new)

Humberto (humberto2010) | 1 comments Just digital (Nikon D40X), but I admire the quality of film pictures too.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to mainly shoot with my digital SLR, though I'm now I'm photography school and I've learnt the film process. After gaining new knowledge and experimenting with a new format, I've learned to look at photography differently. Based from my experience, I think it is crucial to at least experiment with film photography.

message 14: by Tim (last edited May 12, 2012 02:40PM) (new)

Tim | 3 comments I really do think that people who learned on film tend to think more carefully about the image. You couldn't just bang away like a monkey with a gattling-gun in the film era. I use both now but I'm glad I came of age in the days of film. I loved the darkroom too.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Digital now, raised and educated in film.

message 16: by Mishka (new)

Mishka (mishkaart) | 1 comments Digital. Canon 5D MkII (Canon 5D backup).
I refused to go digital until the quality at least matched 35mm film. That day came (to my satisfaction) finally, and so I switched. I was using medium-format (Mamiya 6x7 Pro II) as well, but with the benefits, once I felt it surpassed 35mm it was enough for me. I'm glad to have had the experience of film and darkroom, and I think those of us with that history bring something more to the craft. But it's a tool, and now digital is a better tool for me on all accounts. My latest hardcover book Mishka: The Fine Art of Fetish is mostly shot digital, but contains some film...but even then, it's scanned and balanced with photoshop in pre-press, so in that respect nothing's entirely 'non-digital' at this point for me!