Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Historical > Ann Rinaldi

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Last night I finished The Letter Writer by Ann Rinaldi. It's about Nat Turner and the slave uprising that killed over 50 people, black and white. While I know I learned about Nat Turner in US history classes at some point, I didn't really remember anything about him. Rinaldi shows us the 2 sides of Turner through the eyes of a little girl, Harriet. According to author notes in the back of the book, Turner is one of the most puzzling people in American history. He appeared a kind, though zealous preacher, and then went on a rampage. No one can puzzle out why. It makes me want to learn more.

This is the 2nd Rinaldi book I've read- the first being Or Give Me Death: A Novel of Patrick Henry's Family. I really enjoyed both of them, but I often see scathing reviews of Rinaldi's writing and historical veracity. Has anyone else read her stuff? Do you have a problem with it?

message 2: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Never heard of her

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I've vaguely heard of her, but nothing bad.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (affie) | 468 comments Ann Rinaldi is the author who got me interested in reading Historical Fiction. I haven't read the book you mentioned, and Or Give Me Death is actually my least favorite of all Rinaldi's works that I've read.

My most favorites, and the ones I recommend most often are Time Enough for Drums, set during the American Revolution in Trenton, NJ; The Last Silk Dress, set in the South during the Civil War; and A Break with Charity: A Story about the Salem Witch Trials, which is, as the title suggests, a story set in Colonial Salem during the Salem Witch Trials.

Rinaldi has a lot of books definitely worth reading, but these are probably my top 3 favorites. Close behind are Cast Two Shadows and The Fifth of March. I'd love to hear what you think if you do keep reading!