Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > wrong cover, # pages

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 28 comments This has happened to me several times before, & I haven't reported it. But now I'm trying to load something I'm going to offer to swap, so I want to be as accurate as possible.
The book is ISBN # 0-385-31946-0.
But the book listed in Goodreads with that ISBN (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20...) has a different cover pic and a different # of pages. The book I hold in my hand right now has 147 pages, it was published in Pctober 1997, and its cover is the one displayed for the Kindle edition, at http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/93....

I'm sure I shouldn't just change it, since someone loaded it sometime. And yet the system won't let me add a duplicate, different book with the same ISBN.

What should be done in this situation? And besides just fixing it for me, if someone could give me the guidelines, then I'd be able to do it in the future myself.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments If you're a librarian, and you're holding the book, and know for a fact it's the wrong info, you can change it. You can see the guidelines here: http://www.goodreads.com/help/librarian. If you don't have the book in your hand, you verify through other sources, like worldcat, barnes and noble, and amazon. If I can't verify the info, for certain, I don't change it. All three sources agree with you, on this one (except Amazon, for some reason, on the page numbers).

If you're not a librarian, do exactly what you did here! :)

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments I did fix this one for you, so you could get your swap uploaded...the changes should show for you in about 10 minutes.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43615 comments Mod
Beth wrote: "If you're a librarian, and you're holding the book, and know for a fact it's the wrong info, you can change it."

Actually, even if you are holding the book in your hands, please do NOT change covers. Books are very very often republished with new covers, so deleting an existing cover and replacing it can be quite unfriendly to all the users who have shelved it with that cover. Instead, please create an alternate cover edition.

Page numbers are a different story, as they frequently are listed incorrectly on Amazon. If a particular edition has never had its page numbers edited (easily checked by looking at the log), and you are holding the actual book, then go ahead and change them.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Thank you, rivka, for correcting me on that...you are absolutely correct, and they frequently change covers. I needed more coffee.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43615 comments Mod
I always need more coffee. ;) *slurp*

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 28 comments rivka wrote: "I always need more coffee. ;) *slurp*"

Thanks to you both, Beth & Rivka. I haven't gotten into the habit of checking the log on a regular basis yet, so I really need to do that.