Comments Showing 1-50 of 536 (536 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette | 1282 comments Mod
What is your recent purchase?

charity shop
the owl killers by karen maitland
im watching you by karen rose

message 2: by Angela (last edited Feb 16, 2011 09:39AM) (new)

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 95 comments Angela wrote: "Tesco shopping:
You're Next
Time's Legacy

ReaditSwapit:
The Big Over Easy,
Choke
In a Far Country"

lol what about the gallows curse lol btw sent it recorded

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments The Gallows Curse not here yet....eagerly awaited!!:-)

message 5: by Bridgette (last edited Feb 18, 2011 09:30AM) (new)

Morrisons shopping:
Keeper of the Bride
the killing place both by Tess Gerristen

message 6: by Chris (last edited Feb 20, 2011 06:25AM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I was given a copy of The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry as a gift and wondered if anyone has read it.

I think I remember quite a few of you reading The Lace Reader and enjoying it, but I hadn't seen reviews from anyone on this one. I know a book's good if Angela, Calum or Steve have read and enjoyed it!

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Bridgette wrote: "Morrisons shopping:
Keeper of the Bride
the killing place both by Tess Gerristen"

Hi Bridgette
I read The Killing Place a few months ago and enjoyed it. It's not the first in the series but stands on it's own very well. i hope you enjoy it.

message 8: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 95 comments havent got that book yet but maybe getting it soon as thats her new book unless you will wanting a swap chris after you have read it

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Stephen wrote: "havent got that book yet but maybe getting it soon as thats her new book unless you will wanting a swap chris after you have read it"

I'll give you first refusal.

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 95 comments Chris wrote: "Stephen wrote: "havent got that book yet but maybe getting it soon as thats her new book unless you will wanting a swap chris after you have read it"

I'll give you first refusal."

thanks maybe come to an agreement lol and find a book your after in my pile of 627 unread books here updated book database over the weekend

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments 627 - you have issues!
take care

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 95 comments its just grown even though i do read abit lol maybe its readitswapit where 1 goes but 1 comes back lol

message 13: by Bridgette (new)

today i bought 3 books and they are:
The secret circle: the initiation and the captive part 1 by L.J Smith. which i am currently reading alongside of world without end by ken follett.
also i bought:
You're next by Gregg Hurwitz
and
The book Thief by markus zusak
i probably buy some more tomorrow. any suggestions?

message 14: by Bridgette (new)

today i bought 8 books.
Charity shops:
Enchanters end game by David Eddings
ravaged by david wellington
cursed by david wellington
prey by thomas emson
maneater by thomas emson
Waterstones
lost fleet: dauntless by jack campbell
goddess of spring by PC Cast
and
the final empire by brandon sanderson

message 15: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Bridgette
If you haven't bought from Ebay yet....
If you choose "books" and then "lots" you can get a number of books for great prices.
Be sure to watch out for the shipping charges!
I have gotten whole series collections for very reasonable prices.
You can even look for an author of your choosing.
Don't forget swap here on goodreads. You just pay shipping and the inventory changes every day.
Good luck

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Stephen wrote: "Chris wrote: "Stephen wrote: "havent got that book yet but maybe getting it soon as thats her new book unless you will wanting a swap chris after you have read it"

I'll give you first refusal."
..."

627 makes me feel a little better, although I haven't actually counted how many I've got. Maybe we need some sort of medical procedure to stop acquiring books?!

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Have bought some more over the week and some great swaps arrived too - shall list them when I've got more time!!

message 18: by Stephen (last edited Feb 24, 2011 12:13PM) (new)

Stephen | 95 comments Angela wrote: "Stephen wrote: "Chris wrote: "Stephen wrote: "havent got that book yet but maybe getting it soon as thats her new book unless you will wanting a swap chris after you have read it"

I'll give you fi..."

lol well i bought the book collectorz over the summer so either scan barcode or put isbn on and updates the database so know exactly which and how many books I have got lol alot have been swaps over the 2.5 years been on readitswapit..

what I have been doing is selecting reads of my database randomly either using the random button or asking friends by firstly by letter then see how many authors under that letter then a number , the last book I have done it that way is The Invisible MountainCarolina De Robertis which I am enjoying

message 19: by Chris (last edited Mar 03, 2011 09:29PM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Well I have been very naughty this week;

On Kindle
You're Next

Paperbacks from Amazon
A Tale Of Love And Darkness by Amos Oz
Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell

From RISI
The Other Side of the Bridge
Skin Privilege
Garden Spells

From Audible
Blindness by Jose Saramago
The Leopard by Jo Nesbo

And I have books to collect from the library - it looks like March is busy!
Chris

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I'm also going to have to buy another copy of Shadow of the Wind. My daughter left my copy on the bus!

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments I've acquired so many books during February - some from book shops, others from charity shops and some from RiSi. So, in no particular order:

The Gallows Curse
Last of the Wilds
Ordinary Thunderstorms
Fire Study
Juliet
24 Hours
Started Early, Took My Dog
The Paris Vendetta
The Book With No Name
The More You Ignore Me...
An Education
Fair Play
The Insomniac's Best Friend: How to Get a Better Night's Sleep
A Single Man

and that's it....I think!
Dear me, I wonder if all this book acquisition is a statement of intent - I always used to say that I collected books to read in my retirement. Well, now that I have retired and I'm still buying/swapping, does this mean that I hope to live forever???

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Angela wrote: "I've acquired so many books during February - some from book shops, others from charity shops and some from RiSi. So, in no particular order:

The Gallows Curse
[book:Last of the Wil..."

Now your list makes me feel better!

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Chris wrote: "Angela wrote: "I've acquired so many books during February - some from book shops, others from charity shops and some from RiSi. So, in no particular order:

The Gallows Curse
[bo..."

I like to make people feel better! Glad to be of service!!

message 24: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I just downloaded The Wise Man's Fear. I was begining to think this book would never be released. It looks like its gonna be a huge read, 1088 pg on my sony.

message 25: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 95 comments Angela wrote: "Chris wrote: "Angela wrote: "I've acquired so many books during February - some from book shops, others from charity shops and some from RiSi. So, in no particular order:

well been good and only bought 2 new books this past week Behind the Black Door by Sarah Brown and Grace Williams Says it Loud by Emma Henderson but have swapped 1 book off RISI and getting Sh*t My Dad Says byJustin Halpern

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Only two this week;
The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø
The Book Thief, although I have a horrible feeling that I already bought this and it's hiding in one of the many piles. I think I may have to get me one of Steve's book counting thingamee watsits!

message 27: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Chris wrote: "Only two this week;
The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø
The Book Thief, although I have a horrible feeling that I already bought this and it's hiding in one of ..."

Plus a couple more;

The Whole Day Through by Patrick Gale
and

The Pure in Heart by Susan Hill

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Have you read much by Patrick Gale, Chris? I've only read Notes from an Exhibition, which I really liked.

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments That's the only other one I have read, and I really enjoyed it. It was very different to my usual choices, but I loved it. I got The whole Day Through on a RISI, but I'm out shopping with my daughter later (17 year old looking for just the right pair of skinny jeans OMG), so I might find myself in the odd bookshop or two!

message 30: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Chris wrote: "That's the only other one I have read, and I really enjoyed it. It was very different to my usual choices, but I loved it. I got The whole Day Through on a RISI, but I'm out shopping with my daught..."

Needless to say, I've got quite a few of his books -unread as yet! Once I've found an author I like, I tend to pick up anything I see - mostly charity shops or RISI. Hope the delightful skinny jeans shopping goes well - I used to dread the trainers shopping with both Rob and James; my girls were OK, but those boys of mine!!!

message 31: by Chris (last edited Mar 13, 2011 02:58PM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Angela - You won't believe this but I didn't buy any books. At waterstones, the ones I wanted were not included in the "3 for 2" deals, there was nothing worth buying in The Works and by the time I got to WH Smiths, I'd lost the will to live (Hanging around changing rooms whilst Elspeth tried on 32 different pairs of jeans can do that to me)! Although I was tempted to buy the new Karen Maitland, The Gallows Curse, but I'll check to see if I can get it on kindle first!

message 32: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Chris wrote: "Angela - You won't believe this but I didn't buy any books. At waterstones, the ones I wanted were not included in the "3 for 2" deals, there was nothing worth buying in The Works and by the time I..."

Hope you're having a sit down with a cup of tea/coffee right now!

message 33: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 95 comments Chris wrote: "Angela - You won't believe this but I didn't buy any books. At waterstones, the ones I wanted were not included in the "3 for 2" deals, there was nothing worth buying in The Works and by the time I..."

I got the gallows curse as a free read and review book really enjoyed it

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Angela wrote: "Chris wrote: "Angela - You won't believe this but I didn't buy any books. At waterstones, the ones I wanted were not included in the "3 for 2" deals, there was nothing worth buying in The Works and..."

You bet ya!

message 35: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Stephen wrote: "Chris wrote: "Angela - You won't believe this but I didn't buy any books. At waterstones, the ones I wanted were not included in the "3 for 2" deals, there was nothing worth buying in The Works and..."

Steve - did you read the Owl Killers? it was one of my favourite reads of last year. Better than the comapny of liars, well - I think so anyway!

message 36: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 95 comments no its on my pile in the house to read maybe get round to it soon though got another read and review to read soon gillipsie and I by jane harris and other committed bookgroups reads

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Amazon hadn't had an order from me in a couple of days so I had to do it; The Stonehenge Legacy on kindle and Now It's Time to Say Goodbye by Dale Peck!

message 38: by Stephen (last edited Mar 15, 2011 05:10AM) (new)

Stephen | 95 comments Chris wrote: "Amazon hadn't had an order from me in a couple of days so I had to do it; The Stonehenge Legacy on kindle and Now It's Time to Say Goodbye by Dale Peck!"

you know you said no 3 for 2 in waterstones you wanted saw gallows curse as part of 3 for 2 today

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Cool, I'm sure I'll find two more - can't tell the husband though - book spending at an all-time high and I'm supposed to be cutting back. Who needs food anyway!

message 40: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 251 comments Chris wrote: "Cool, I'm sure I'll find two more - can't tell the husband though - book spending at an all-time high and I'm supposed to be cutting back. Who needs food anyway!"

Yes, Erasmus had the right idea. He said something like "when I get any money, I buy books, and if I have any money left over I buy food".

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I'm uncharacteristically down to reading just two books at a time and I’ve decided to have a go at “one at a time”. Once I’ve finished this two (and both The Leopard and Mortal Fear are very good) I’ll have so much choice I won’t know which to go for – what a dilemma!

message 42: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Chris wrote: "I'm uncharacteristically down to reading just two books at a time and I’ve decided to have a go at “one at a time”. Once I’ve finished this two (and both The Leopard and Mortal Fear are very good) ..."

What's brought about this change Chris? I can't imagine you as a "one-at-a-time" reader!
Oh, by the way, I've got my new reading glasses and they seem to be making a difference! I can now read without the focusing problems and sore eyes...yippee!!!

message 43: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Ha ha - I'll try anything once!
But seriously, i'm glad you can get back to enjoying your reading. Must have been frustrating

message 44: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Angela wrote: "Chris wrote: "I'm uncharacteristically down to reading just two books at a time and I’ve decided to have a go at “one at a time”. Once I’ve finished this two (and both The Leopard and Mortal Fear a..."

Down to "currently reading" one book, and only around half of it left! Getting twitchy, can I stick to just one AFTER I have finished this or is the temptation to open at the first chapter of six new books too much for me?!
Holy Moly, this is just books, can you imagine what I'd be like if I was addicted to Smoking, Alcohol or Drugs!?

message 45: by JackieB (last edited Mar 21, 2011 06:08AM) (new)

JackieB | 251 comments On the other hand, I usually only read one book at a time, but I'm beginning to get twitchy when I get about 1/2 way through my current read. I might be really enjoying it, but some of the others on my TBR mountain start to entice me. Maybe we are swapping reading habits?
PS don't get addicted to smoking, alcohol or drugs. They'd really cut into your book spending money!

message 46: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 900 comments I can parallel process - 2 types of reading at a time. In the UK this generally means technical reading and one book. On Holiday it's 2 books. I guess I cannot, like most of my gender, multi-task.

message 47: by Bridgette (new)

i tend to read 2-3 books at the same time. only sometimes i read 1 book at the time.

message 48: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Husband away tonight, so it's just me and my girlies. Weekend left-overs for dinner, TV off, a bath and an early night with a decent length reading session. BLISS!

message 49: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Have a lovely evening Chris!

message 50: by Bridgette (new)

from the market on sunday i bought...
isle of dogs by patricia cornwell
gallows view by peter robinson
indelible by karin slaughter
and
the black ice by michael connelly.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11